IGNORED

Pattaya Holiday Inn

phenixr

2 hours ago, AsiaSmiles said:

In my humble opinion access to the Executive Lounge at this property is NOT worth the additional 1000 Baht.

I don't even think they have an "Executive Lounge" but instead categorize "Executive Club" privilege as breakfast and free drinks at the pool bar. You probably will end up tipping the waiter or bartender during the free drinks.

That is approximately $30 USD for the privilege of having breakfast and getting cocktails for a few hours.

But this opinion is based on not really being a breakfast person, and not wanting to be focused on being in the Executive Tower between 6-8 PM. At that time in the evening I'm ether at the gym or hunting pussy.

If you really fancy the view from the Executive Tower, just buy a drink at the bar or hang out by the pool with water.

You can use the facilities at both building no matter what room you get, you just don't get "executive" privileges. 

There is nothing really spectacular about the Lounge at this property. Nothing you could not find elsewhere and Pattaya has just so many other options.

For a spectacular view, paying for cocktails at the Hilton may be a better option. 

Now at Holiday Inns at other locations, after a long day doing business, that may be a different story. But while in Pattaya, I don't see the value. My 2 cents.

Super helpful. I was so inclined to go for it but now I see there's no real value. 6-8 will be on the 6 - 100%. In all practicality it'll be 1000 Baht for breakfast and maybe a couple of coffee during the day. Doesn't make much sense. Thanks for talking me out of it mate :)

• 3 weeks later...

Personal thoughts. The high price of Holiday Inn Pattaya is meaningful to the sea view. But to see the sea view, you have to choose the room in the superior sea view. The price is quite high at 4500 baht per night. But the view is beautiful and makes the trips more pleasant.

• 2 months later...

In the spirit of this discussion I would like to discuss a recent stay at VT6 condos. In short, if your taste in accommodations is along the lines of Holiday Inn and Hilton, then don't waste you time with VT6. I used Honeys for booking but while I stayed there I went and looked at the other popular booking agency touted on these pages. I looked at 3 of their condos. None of them to the standard of classy rooms. In fact ended up changing rooms with Honeys on their advice that the new room was better. All mediocre in my opinion. I had seen frequent descriptions of VT6 being as good as the Hilton next door at half the price. Baloney.

I booked at LK Empress for my next visit. All on the basis of HI being too far from the city center. If anyone thinks LK is not anywhere near a 3-4 star hotel, please talk me out of it. I'll just go back to the HI. I have stayed at Baracuda before. I would consider them again if it were not for the lack of storage space in those rooms. You have to keep you laggage awkwardly somewhere in the room.

I'm a IHG Spire Elite, so I stay at the HI Pattaya often. To answer some questions,

It's a long walk to Walking St, but a reasonable walk to Soi 6. Either can be made shorter via a Baht bus. For the return trip I always get out at the Ibis hotel and return through the driveway. It is practically next door to several large massage parlors.

King Deluxe is in the new, rear tower (Executive Tower). King Ocean view is in the old tower, but either facing away from Walking St or set back, or both. King Superior Ocean view is on the right side of the old building (looking at it while standing on the beach) and has views of the pool and Beach Rd. The suites at the front of the old building have the best views. As a Spire Elite member I am always upgraded to either a Superior Ocean view room, or a suite, even when using points. I typically call ahead and make my request for either to be known.

The views from almost all rooms in the old tower are spectacular, only more so on in the Superior rooms or suites. All have balconies which you can sit on, and I have had a great deal of erotic fun on those balconies. The hotel seems to have been designed with exhibitionists in mind. All rooms (at least in the old tower) have glass front showers with a view outdoors. The suites have a bathtub with a huge glass picture window. Especially at night with lights on in the hotel those outside can see in through the windows, and this seems to be a well known fact because my wife often spotted people looking up a the windows while she was in the tub. If you are shy, you can draw a blind to spoil the view.

I was not offered free breakfast with my Spire Elite membership. However, you get a discount breakfast price and the money spent on breakfast counts towards points. If you are Spire Elite you get 20 points for every US$ spent, plus 5 points if you use the credit card. Plus you get a 10% refund on points used for the room. Plus you get "Welcome Amenity Points" when you check in. All of which knocks more than 3,000 out of the 25,000 points required for the room. Considering that if you book during a quiet mid week period you will very likely get an ocean front suite with 2 balconies, it can't be beat!

The hotel is very well run. I have never had a technical problem with any room I was in. All switches work, never a dead light bulb, leaking faucet, etc. It always looks like new. And in the US it would certainly be a 5 star hotel. I have never been in a nicer Holiday Inn, and it beats many US Crown Plaza hotels. I have brought many girls up to the rooms and have never been asked for joiner fee or ID. You must meet guests in the lobby though, as they can not use the elevator up to the guest room floors without a room key to activate the elevator.

The hotel is located at the newer, classier, quieter north end of Beach Rd. There is a lot of construction going on in the vicinity at the moment, but it is not particularly intrusive.

Another plus is no hassle free parking in a huge lot with lots of space.

The hotel is less expensive mid week, so if you use a combination of Baht and IHG points it's better to use the points for weekend nights. If you are paying cash for the full stay, you could consider spending the most expensive weekend nights at the Ibis hotel behind the Holiday Inn. Its clean but basic with no view, and typically available for a fraction of the Holiday Inn price.

These picture are dated from 2016, when I was upgraded to one of the biggest suite they had. It was likely a leftover room and it was during Songkran, where the hotel was booked solid. I believe I was executive platinum at the time and had booked a standard room using cash and points. Requested the older building closer to the water. When I got there they had put me up in the new tower, which was NOT what I had requested. After about 15 minutes of scrambling by the staff the lead concierge apologized for their oversight and stated the room assigned should suffice. Needless to say I was over impressed by the attention and my luck. 

Kind of a shame, since the room was much bigger than I needed but it sure was nice.

I have switched to VT6 after the IHG points value for this hotel just seems too high and don't really need a room of this nature. The room you get at VT6 can vary, since they are individually owned. Not the same as a 4-5 star hotel, but after all this is Pattaya. These days the IHG points may be best spent somewhere else.

Enjoy the photos:

2016-04-16_00002.jpg

2016-04-16_00005.jpg

2016-04-16_00006.jpg

2016-04-16_00007.jpg

2016-04-16_00008.jpg

2016-04-16_00010.jpg

2016-04-16_00011.jpg

2016-04-16_00012.jpg

2016-04-16_00013.jpg

2016-04-16_00014.jpg

2016-04-16_00015.jpg

2016-04-16_00017.jpg

2016-04-16_00018.jpg

2016-04-16_00021.jpg

2016-04-16_00022.jpg

2016-04-16_00023.jpg

2016-04-16_00024.jpg

2016-04-16_00025.jpg

2016-04-16_00026.jpg

2016-04-16_00027.jpg

2016-04-16_00028.jpg

2016-04-16_00031.jpg

2016-04-16_00033.jpg

2016-04-16_00036.jpg

2016-04-16_00039.jpg

2016-04-16_00041.jpg

2016-04-16_00042.jpg

2016-04-16_00043.jpg

2016-04-16_00044.jpg

2016-04-16_00045.jpg

2016-04-16_00046.jpg

that's a very nice room - fantastic views... I have not been upgraded much during my many Marriott stays in Bangkok but a month ago, at the Marriott Executive Apartments on Thonglor, I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom... our eyes almost dropped out of our heads when we saw it - HUGE and so well appointed and a fairly new hotel/not run down/etc... MUCH more space than we needed (there were only 2 of us on that trip, left our baby daughter home)... sometimes rewards program upgrades can work out in a VERY VERY satisfactory way, ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh!!

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread, as I am strongly considering returning to the Holiday Inn for the first time in years.

For the dates that I am considering, the InterContinental just seems TOO pricey, as it is nearly double the rate at the Holiday Inn.  Although my Ambassador status noted above gets me a guaranteed upgrade on paid stays at the I/C, it does NOT get me lounge access (or breakfast) and the upgrade does not kick in for points-stays.  For my November stay, they are hitting me with a pretty nasty daily charge to stay in my upgraded room for the 4 extra nights booked on points.

One of my past issues with the Holiday Inn was the lack of stuff nearby (which is an even BIGGER issue at the I/C!), but with Terminal 21 a short walk away, I think there are now a multitude of options.

I'm debating booking with points or just paying.  Leaning towards the later, but need to see if my Citi card can get me the "pay 5 baht for breakfast" rate (it refunds average cost of 1 night with a 4-night stay).

Pretty much answered your own questions.

As nice as the IC is, I would only go there if the deal was too good to pass up.

There is lots of stores near the HI, and your closer to Soi 6, if that matters.

Personally I've stopped using points and upgrades in Pattaya as the really decent alternatives with better value perhaps for money spent.

Just leaving Bangkok as I write this, cashed in two years worth of free room certificates and got upgraded to a one bedroom suite on the executive floor (Marriott Westin). The last few years been using hotel points and certificates in Bangkok as opposed to Pattaya. The big chain hotels are abundant in Bangkok, with most relatively close to the BTS.

Admittedly, I do think the HI Pattaya is a great hotel, but my opinion are the points are best spent elsewhere, or look for a point drop promotion.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I used IHG points for 1 night to save the $130. NOT a great exchange, but only 22,500 points after my 10% rebate (BARELY come out ahead).

Citi rebate cuts the effective rate for 4 paid nights to a hair over $98.

I’m also cashing out a couple of annual free night certificates, because I’m uncertain if I will be back before they expire. Again, NOT a good value, but IHG moved InterContinental Bangkok Up to 40,000 points, and that was my desired venue.

Crowne Plaza in Bangkok was an option, but this just seemed convenient/easy and the room rate saved was still well over the annual fee for the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect that Terminal 21 has led to an increase in demand for rooms at the HI ( especially at weekends and holiday periods ) but depending on the traffic and time of day it is too much of a slog to Walking Street for me. I discontinued my IHG rewards club membership as i found that i was getting significantly more for my points and better upgrades with both Hilton and Marriott / SPG  ( although not in Pattaya)

Archived