IGNORED

What's the worst thing that's ever happened you in Pattaya or Thailand in general?

jmooney

Last trip when I went to an ATM on my first day there I couldn't withdraw any money. I checked online and my card was blocked (basically they said I got a new card in the mail, so the old one that I had with me was blocked, but I never received one as far as I know). I started panicking a lot. Even thinking that I might have to borrow some money and go back already on the first day. Then I remembered I always take another card with me for emergencies. Thank god it worked. So I went from major panic to a huge relief in about an hour. I needed some time to calm down after that and I got a very relaxing massage.

Edit: At the end of the trip I also forgot to take my passport out of the room safe. Luckily I was only 10 min. away in the Taxi from Pattaya to the airport, so we were able to turn around and go back to the hotel and then to the airport in time. The taxi driver had a laugh about it fortunately. I felt like an idiot though. I made sure multiple times that I got everything from my room, but somehow completely forgot about the safe. The hotel apologised, because room service should have noticed but I only blame myself.

Edited by Jes_92

18 hours ago, chher said:

Haha, I had to go all the way down to the cafe at the very end on the right hand side pass the large Indian restaurant. The cashier was trying to tell me customer only but I couldn’t hold it any longer. Barely made it. The cops at end also laugh at me on my way back because I had told them I had to take a shit when I went into the darkness looking to just shit in an alley. I now realize I think there is a paid restroom somewhere around the middle of WS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not just go in a random bar/gogo/whatever and ask for the toilet? It's WS of all places :Oops1:Someone blasting the porcelain is the least nasty thing going on :D

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jes_92 said:

Last trip when I went to an ATM on my first day there I couldn't withdraw any money. I checked online and my card was blocked (basically they said I got a new card in the mail, so the old one that I had with me was blocked, but I never received one as far as I know). I started panicking a lot. Even thinking that I might have to borrow some money and go back already on the first day. Then I remembered I always take another card with me for emergencies. Thank god it worked. So I went from major panic to a huge relief in about an hour. I needed some time to calm down after that and I got a very relaxing massage.

Edit: At the end of the trip I also forgot to take my passport out of the room safe. Luckily I was only 10 min. away in the Taxi from Pattaya to the airport, so we were able to turn around and go back to the hotel and then to the airport in time. The taxi driver had a laugh about it fortunately. I felt like an idiot though. I made sure multiple times that I got everything from my room, but somehow completely forgot about the safe. The hotel apologised, because room service should have noticed but I only blame myself.

Lol, halfway through my last trip around last Songkran in Khao San Road area I forget to grab my card from the ATM after I received the money, as you may know, here in Holland you'll get the card first, then the money. Got enough money for the upcoming few days, but not enough for the rest of the trip. Started to think, should I wait and call tomorrow to see if they can retrieve it, or just call my bank and block it just to make sure. Did the last thing, in case they rigged the thing with cams or anything lol. Had to call the bank (ING), but ofcourse not enough minutes on my Thai tourist sim so got disconnected really quick. Tried the online chat (luckily it was still during working hours there) and after all the necessary info to confirm it was really me I accidentally clicked on 'back' button on my phone so got disconnected. But hey, I have a double sim phone, so let's just switch to my Dutch sim and call them again. Finally got it blocked, sweating bullets, and finally able to party again with my hardly earned money.

..until I had to use Western Union a few days later to send money to myself. During registration it literally said 'second name (optional)', so (partly my fault) I just put my first and last name, not my second and third. Went to retrieve the money with my passport, and got denied. I want to send money from myself to myself, but I can't prove I'mreally  the one retrieving it. :Crazy1: Never having used Western Union before, the woman (what a bitch by the way in the one in Central Festival) didn't really helped either. I was so upset I wrote a Google review, that'll teach her! I'll just put it here: 

Most cold, unfriendly and uncooperative service lady I've ever met in my entire life. Wanted to send money to myself due to a swallowed card in an ATM, and on the website they state that your second name for sender/receiver is optional, but it's not, you need your full first name. Ok, partly my bad, but she only says "can not, call your bank", but what can they do if I already transfered my money to Western Union to pick it up myself. Edited my name both on the website and in their app, but it still wouldn't update in their system. Went to another (friendly) office and they kindly suggested to call the customer service which I did (the lady could've suggested this to me, mind you I've never used Western Union before), and luckily they were very helpful and sorted it out. Went back to the first location to try again (the second one was already closed by now) and she was still not satisfied. After a lot of talking I finally received my money and after I explained the fix was made by their own customer service, her last words were "why you not help yourself". Uh, that's what I tried on the website and in the app, but your system didn't update it? I honestly feel sorry for people who work/live with her.

1 hour ago, Santana187 said:

Lol, halfway through my last trip around last Songkran in Khao San Road area I forget to grab my card from the ATM after I received the money, as you may know, here in Holland you'll get the card first, then the money. Got enough money for the upcoming few days, but not enough for the rest of the trip. Started to think, should I wait and call tomorrow to see if they can retrieve it, or just call my bank and block it just to make sure. Did the last thing, in case they rigged the thing with cams or anything lol. Had to call the bank (ING), but ofcourse not enough minutes on my Thai tourist sim so got disconnected really quick. Tried the online chat (luckily it was still during working hours there) and after all the necessary info to confirm it was really me I accidentally clicked on 'back' button on my phone so got disconnected. But hey, I have a double sim phone, so let's just switch to my Dutch sim and call them again. Finally got it blocked, sweating bullets, and finally able to party again with my hardly earned money.

..until I had to use Western Union a few days later to send money to myself. During registration it literally said 'second name (optional)', so (partly my fault) I just put my first and last name, not my second and third. Went to retrieve the money with my passport, and got denied. I want to send money from myself to myself, but I can't prove I'mreally  the one retrieving it. :Crazy1: Never having used Western Union before, the woman (what a bitch by the way in the one in Central Festival) didn't really helped either. I was so upset I wrote a Google review, that'll teach her! I'll just put it here: 

Damn, that's a lot of bad luck and stress on your trip. Hope the rest of your holiday was nice though.

1 hour ago, Santana187 said:

I did the same thing on my first night in Pattaya. I rarely use the ATM back home since I use credit card instead of cash for just about everything. Lucky for me, the woman that I barfined told me that I can go to the bank and retrieve my card on Monday. They gave the card back to me after I provided proof with my passport.

• Like 3

Haha. The men’s stalls in these places barely have doors much less toilet paper. But still better than shitting in my pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

I went into a go go bar. Had a drink and a ladies drink. Got my bill, 320b. Gave the waitress a 1k b bill (I know it was 1k cause I keep the 1k b bills in a separate part of my wallet from my smaller bills). She came back with change for a 500b. I told them I gave her 1000b bill. We went back and forth. Manager got involved. Thirty mins later, still wouldn't give me change for my 1000b bill. I wasn't drunk as I don't drink and I had soda water. Not the money but the principle. Never going back to that bar. Grrrr. 

Edited by plee587

2 hours ago, abholen said:

I did the same thing on my first night in Pattaya. I rarely use the ATM back home since I use credit card instead of cash for just about everything. Lucky for me, the woman that I barfined told me that I can go to the bank and retrieve my card on Monday. They gave the card back to me after I provided proof with my passport.

Maybe I forgot to add that I walked away after stashing away my money, so I wasn't 100% sure if the ATM itself or somebody else after me took my card. That's why I blocked it in my paranoia lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Worst thing for me personally was falling in love and spending £20k plus on traveling around Thailand, Laos and Maylasia with said lover spread over a few trips. My fucking god how many other whores and visa extensions I could of gotten with that money 

Oh and fell off the back of a baht bus on Pattaya Tai, en route to Walking Street

Edited by REAR_ENTRY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

For all of the people reporting food illnesses, what were you eating that made you so sick??

As for me..
- Left $1k galaxy note phone in taxi on way home from Walking Street, luckily the girl I was with helped me track down the original driver and I was able to recover the phone (gave the driver like 5k baht tip I was so happy)

- random backroom massage on the way home and the girl offered full service which seemed great, but later discovered she was on her period and it was really messy.

- almost broke my hand when leaning against the bathroom sink at base condo bathroom and the entire sink fell out of the wall. my introduction to thailand's shoddy construction.

- lots of 'close calls' where I would catch a girl trying to remove the condom in the dark, why do they do that???

i'll just omit the dozens of times i've been grabbed by aggressive ladyboys while walking around minding my own business. The recent headline of an American having sodium hydroxide thrown at him by a ladyboy for declining advances has shaken my complacency and I will be on my guard in the future. (learn from others)

On 06/10/2018 at 17:17, flyingscotsman said:

Couple of years ago I had something bad to eat at the LPGA held at Siam CC.

I had a terrible bout of the shits for about 1 hour then felt fine and walked the course for the rest of the day with no other issues.

Back to hotel and changed for the night out and felt a bit off around 12 so went home.

Woke up at 3am drenched in sweat and didn't make it out of bed as my ass unleashed a torrent of green shit.

Ran to the bathroom and knew that more was coming.

As I'm sat on the shitter screaming in pain I started to vomit and the only place I could do it was in the shower next to me as the sink was out of reach.

Spent the next few hours doing the same till there was nothing left to come out/up.

Couldn't keep water down for the next 2 days.

Changed my seat on the flight home so I was next to the shitter and packed 6 pairs of boxers in my hand luggage just in case.

Took 7 days till I felt human again.

Injection from the doctor and some medication would have cleared you up in a day and a half bro.  2000 baht is a small price to pay.  I had the same thing happen on my first trip. 

On my first trip to Thailand I was scammed by a Tuktuk driver who was supposed to drive us to the Kingdom Palace. Unfortunately, we ended up in two clothing stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On my recent and first trip I was still a bit like a deer in headlights and was walking down the road to the usual cat calls from the women and tried to play it cool and rolled my ankle, they burst out laughing... :(

Oh and probably getting too drunk in a Soi 6 bar, it was my first time and I don't drink much at home (1-2 times a month max) so I had was like 8 beers in and a few shots and probably like 8 LD for the girl I was sitting with and she asked if I wanted to go upstairs but I probably said something about being way too drunk and went to order another beer and she said no you pay and helped me count out my money and added a barfine and she helped me back to my hotel and made me go to dinner with her lol. We boom boom'd in the morning tho so I guess she earned her money in the end.

Edited by Soon2Thai

I went to a bar with a TG because she wanted to go there. Once we got there she rang the damn bell without asking.

A stern warning was given as the bill was 1500 Baht (2001) and then she got an attitude. I looked for an opening and an excuse to get the hell out of there ASAP. Yes, I did pay the bill and it was a lesson learned. 

What made her think her friends were mine and drinks were warranted..???:WTF1:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Getting to drunk myself.

In my first visit many years ago, i was thinking thai girls are so small and can t drink. 

I wanted to get drunk together with a working girl from beachroad with half weight like me drink the same. In the Walking Street i collapse just 5 minutes after our last round of shots. 

The girl found baht bus to bring me back to hotel. I vomited in the bus. Also needed 3 people who bring me into my hotel, because i could not walk anymore.

I had big luck. She saved my phone and money. Since this, never take passport or phone with me, when going to drink. I learned from my fail.

Stayed with a Friend in Pattaya South April 2019. One early Night Night, we go back to the hotel when a Motobike approached with 1 Girl and a Ladyboy. 

They ask us, hey guys where you goin? 

Then the girl get off the Bike and look deep in my Eyes and go further to my friend - grab him very hard by his Nuts and was tryin to steal something from his pockets. For his luck, his pockets were empty. 

I will never forget how he looked while she grab his nuts. He looked like he got an strong electric Schock. 

Then they escaped on their motobike. 

My guess is this virus is the worst thing that's happened to everyone who enjoys Pattaya. 

So unexpected, unending and is slowly reducing your choices.  No agogos, no discos, no haircuts, no Gyms, no pools, no restaurants. Curfew, and now no alcohol.

Wow !  Loosing your ATM card seems a very minor thing in comparrison.

Edited by rog555

One evening about 6.years ago I had my 20,000+ baht smart phone pickpocketed in a Go Go bar in LK Metro.  (Clue.. he who is not married) I only had it a few months. No idea why I took it out .. no one was gonna phone me .. but it was a flashy new toy. I thought I was very cool having one.

They much cheaper now.

I was sat chatting to a young stunnier who was not overly friendly at first when I bought her a LD. Next thing I knew a second girl joined us .. she sat so I was in the miiddle..  Didnt ask for a drink but was friendly.

Girl 1 suddenly got very very amourous .... I was thinking I have never had or seen full on kissing/snogging in a Go Go .. but was not complaiining. Girl 2 still sat other side. Girl 1 .. 30 + years younger than me was passiionately kissing me .. over a 5 minute time frame. She went from unfriendly to wanting to eat me. What the ferk.

Then girl 2 walked away. Girl 1 cooled down. Did not wanna barfine at sensible prices. I left very very confused.

Unusually I did not barfine at all that evening. Went home alone.

Next morning I realised my pride and joy fancy phone was missing .. and realised what almost certainly happened.

It did stick out slightly the shallow side pockets in the jeans I had on. They noticed is my theory .. ..or maybe saw it half out the pocket.

I had no way of proving it.  I went back as it opened next evening .. Asked security if a phone been found. DJ announced it to whole bar. Im sure there were a few giggles from some of the girls but may have been my imagination.

I was pissed off big time. 

Cheap phones only for me now .. but my latest 5,000 baht phone better than my first that cost me 24,000. Crazy prices but had to have.

Edited by Wingeing Pom

Jeeeeeez  .. just remembered a rival to my previously posted worst thing that has happened to me in Thailand. More most embarrassing incident ... rather than being a big problem.. Agree Covid is worst thing by far happened to any of us.

Saphire Go Go had a spell where they had lots of very young girls a few years back.I think agency girls. I took a young one home. They all seem older and experienced nowadays but I digress.

I mention age because her tender years (18) and smile and friendliness had me all a dither. We sat in my room chatting and unusually she was laughing at my banter ... and it all felt so good. I felt I was a teen again. I was totally enchanted.

I remember thinking I must take a leak soon but was putting it off as I was enjoying our chat and the need eased. 

Suddenly she was up into the bathroom for a shower pre "fun". 30 seconds after she went in .. my Desire for a pee became a desperate need.  Thoughts that I could hold on .....soon went. 

I had had many beers. I should have knocked and went in but I was thinking she so cute .. I dont want to spoil the cool guy persona I was thinking I was portraying (dream on).  Anyway I was at the hopping about on one leg stage. Why do we do that OP needed. 

A pee on balcony was first thought but its overlooked and lit by street lights.

Decided to pee into the kitchen diner sink ..... and do big clean / disinfect throughly later. 

Ferk   .... she came out. Her shower was even shorter than the shortest shower ever. They usually frustratingly long in there when my engine is reving and Im wanting to start.

I was mid pee ... back to her ... but had to slightly be up on toes to get me d*ck pointimg down. Must have been obvious. I pretended I was washing my hands but knew I was busted.

I put it away, zipped up and turned round. She was looking elsewhere and did not comment or react. I showered. We did the business. She was great. Persuaded myself she might not have been looking in my direction.

A week later I went in Saphire again.She was dancing on stage.. I gave her my best smile ...  I practise it (joke)

She would not react   .. no smiile back. I was definitely 'dissed'. Dismissed.

Maybe she had a customer buying her LDs already .. very possible ... but maybe she had a good reason to think I was low life.

She is gonna point me out to all her mates ... panic filled my head .. 'thats the one I told you about'.

I drank up and left. (Embarrassed $miley). I did not risk going back for months .. till I thought it a good chance she not there anymore.

Edited by Wingeing Pom

On 05/03/2020 at 03:05, Arnie85 said:

Injection from the doctor and some medication would have cleared you up in a day and a half bro.  2000 baht is a small price to pay.  I had the same thing happen on my first trip. 

Where do you go to get these injections? It would be good to know just in case

On 24/04/2019 at 08:01, rog555 said:

I had this same problem too.  First night in a new country and the ATM machine keeps my card.

It was in the Dominican Republic.

There seems to be 2 types of ATM machines.  One type wants you to insert the card, then withdraw it almost immediately.   The second type wants the card to remain in the machine for the whole transaction.

In DR its type 1.   Not having seen this before I somehow ended up with the card being kept by ATM.  Got it back next day.

There is another country with ATMs like that but I cannot remember where.   Lesson learnt. Warning to all of us.

I accidentally left my card in a machine, it was a bank ATM on Pattaya Tai next to where I was living and didn't realise for about a week, I thought I'd lost it and went to the bank hoping the machine had kept it. The ATM's give you your money first then your card back unlike the ones in the uk which give you your card back first. Anyway, I went into the bank, they asked for my passport which I fetched, they opened the machine from inside the back and took out a huge handful of ATM cards, a pile about 4 inches high (if any ladies are reading 7 inches high 555) and found mine about half way through. I must have done this a dozen times since, they got so used to me doing it that when I walked up to the counter they'd point towards the ATM machines and say "Card?", I'd just nod.

• Like 2

On 12/04/2020 at 18:07, Welbeck said:

I accidentally left my card in a machine...The ATM's give you your money first then your card back unlike the ones in the uk which give you your card back first. 

Same in Australia. The bank ATM here requires you take out your card before it will deliver your cash and the receipt.

I once lost my card in an ATM in Patong, Phuket; the ATM delivered my cash, I walked away leaving the card in the machine. Realised fifteen minutes later and went back but the card was not there, so I phoned Westpac on Skype to cancel it.

As a back-up I carry a bank debit card so used that for the next few days of my stay. Debit card means you can withdraw cash against actual credit balance in your account; you cannot incur a debit balance.

Hint: do not carry your two cards in the same place e.g. your wallet. Keep them separate. In the room perhaps one in locked safe and the other in padlocked suitcase. Do not write the PIN number down on a piece of paper anywhere near the cards. (I am able to remember mine).

I did a "Shart" on a really steamy sweaty afternoon.As I was lining up at the 7-11 I felt what I thought was sweat on my leg.I looked to down and to my surprise there was a thin brown trail running down the back of my leg.Noone noticed.I was really wasted and paid for my smirnoff and guarana and purchased some wet towelettes.Went back into the Sin city sunshine  and instead of going back to my hotel to clean up I ventured to the toilets at Mike shopping world and towled down.

Yes....."Never trust a fart in Thailand"

If you're going to try, go all the way.

1 hour ago, Bonkabit said:

Do not write the PIN number down on a piece of paper anywhere near the cards. (I am able to remember mine).

Just write a made up PIN number on a piece of paper and keep it with your card or ideally 3 different PIN numbers anybody acquiring your cards will try these numbers one after the other hopefully losing the card on the third attempt.