IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

11 hours ago, Pheat said:

I tried the Sports F/C offering a few months back I think the price was about 279Baht was a special, I was just walking past and saw the sign And popped in.

Very disappointing the batter on the fish (COD) was terrible really thick and soggy/greasy and started  to make me feel queasy  after a few mouthfuls,and the chips were slightly under cooked

Did you point this out to the staff/cook.....at that price it should have been spot on :unsure:

A little bit off topic but a German friend messaged me on Saturday he was just getting to Newcastle on the A1 and wanted to know if I could suggest somewhere for Fish n Chips you know the Europeans think F/C is our staple diet.

I’m not a Geordie but spent a bit of time around the area for work and advised him to head to Seaton Sluice north of Whitley bay.

This he did based on my advice and as I sat in my Condo I have to admit it did make feel like I was missing home.

ABBC2CF9-3BBC-4738-ADAC-3B7539D53A69.jpeg

490534C9-B9E7-49F1-B65C-574EA78F167F.jpeg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, petermik said:

Did you point this out to the staff/cook.....at that price it should have been spot on :unsure:

Sorry to butt in, but speaking for myself, unless I am not going to eat it, I find it's more trouble than it's worth to complain, especially if you're eating with someone else.

I just don't go again.  simples150.jpg.9bc253a0d2e52676977dc475d2e4ae6b.jpg

Edit - To stay somewhere near on topic, it's got so bad I'm experimenting with DIY.

Cod Loin, frozen crinkle cut and minted peas.... approx total cost 200 Baht.

2036991337_DIYCod.thumb.jpg.4a192719c11be287e827108b8c04a9d0.jpg

Edited by Edge

Best this week by a country mile....

........Retox Game On 249 Baht Cod.

20200807_130827.thumb.jpg.37efa71257eb961843f5cc3797d71bc3.jpg

Sorry already ate about a quarter before photo. :P

1 hour ago, Edge said:

20200807_130827.thumb.jpg.37efa71257eb961843f5cc3797d71bc3.jpg

Game ON - is that the Retox that has an entrance on Soi Honey?

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

42 minutes ago, southsidebruce said:

Game ON - is that the Retox that has an entrance on Soi Honey?

Correct...and next soi too.

I think it's actually the only remaining Retox, Lengkee having closed and Outback reverted to previous name.

Had this fish and chips twice when I was in Patts Feb/March on their special offer day.Very nice both times.Witherspoons Soi Buakhao.IMG_20200306_170528.thumb.jpg.d4fc4aa5cb35100bdf550e6b967836b7.jpgCant remember the price either 200 or 250 baht.

26 minutes ago, Edge said:

Correct...and next soi too.

I think it's actually the only remaining Retox, Lengkee having closed and Outback reverted to previous name.

Does that mean that Retox Outback is no longer owned by the Retox Group?

7 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Does that mean that Retox Outback is no longer owned by the Retox Group?

I don't think it was ever 'owned' by Retox, I think there was some sort of operating arrangement with the Outback owners.

@Captain Dave  may be able to confirm/clarify/correct.

Caveat to above recommendation.
There is a service lady there who takes your order for the Special (at 249) .....then asks if you'd like Cod or Haddock (299 not Special) but fails to mention the difference.

Edited by Edge
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

you just couldn't wait, could you? :P:rolleyes::P

On 01/08/2020 at 13:06, jimboh said:

Yesterdays F&C treat went to Everyday is Fryday in New plaza.

Open air place, decent enough meal, 235B.

f c thumbnail_IMG_2016.jpg

I like that restaurant too.

But it seems to be hit and miss whether its open or not.  More often closed than open recently.

I thought I'd figured out it was always open on friday, but yesterday it was closed.

No signs on the shutters. Odd.

20 hours ago, Gaztop08 said:

Had this fish and chips twice when I was in Patts Feb/March on their special offer day.Very nice both times.Witherspoons Soi Buakhao.Cant remember the price either 200 or 250 baht.

For those of us who care......what sort of 'fish' was it?

12 minutes ago, rog555 said:

I like that restaurant too.

But it seems to be hit and miss whether its open or not.  More often closed than open recently.

I thought I'd figured out it was always open on friday, but yesterday it was closed.

No signs on the shutters. Odd.

Doesn't open til 2pm right?

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Friday at 17:00 was closed.

4 hours ago, Edge said:

Sorry Edge don’t know.It didn’t say on the menu and  Uk Cod is the only fish I usually eat.I would say it was quite close to the taste of Cod though.

4 hours ago, rog555 said:

Friday at 17:00 was closed.

Saturday 17:30 open.

Everyday is fryday except friday. 555.

• Haha 1

Retox GO still has it.

Cod Special 249 Baht.

20200814_135820.jpg.24b4022058c1b2f8553468261bc1741f.jpg20200814_135757.jpg.6dba19c8e2663808e6fe30d1d09d7189.jpg

She's still pushing the Haddock at 299....resist it's only tails anyway.

• Like 3

On 08/08/2020 at 18:00, Gaztop08 said:

Sorry Edge don’t know.It didn’t say on the menu and  Uk Cod is the only fish I usually eat.I would say it was quite close to the taste of Cod though.

Judging by the shape of the fish, I would guess that it is the local Pacific Dory, A bit wet in my opinion but an inoffensive  fish, IE no stronger flavour or bones.

Edited by bluechef

6 minutes ago, bluechef said:

Judging by the shape of the fish, I would guess that it is the local Pacific Dory, A bit wet in my opinion but an inoffensive  fish, IE no stronger flavour or bones.  

Being Witherspoons I assumed it must be.

Of course it isn't really 'Pacific Dory' nor 'local' really, being mostly factory farmed Pangasius from the Mekong Delta in VN.

'Inoffensive' is a matter of opinion.

1 minute ago, Edge said:

Being Witherspoons I assumed it must be.

Of course it isn't really 'Pacific Dory' nor 'local' really, being mostly factory farmed Pangasius from the Mekong Delta in VN.

'Inoffensive' is a matter of opinion.

The inoffensive I was applying to the no bones or strong flavours, For someone who normally only eats cod, this is important. Shame really some of the most amazing fish are still on the bone, some people just cannot eat fish with bones,

19 hours ago, Edge said:

Retox GO still has it.

Cod Special 249 Baht.

20200814_135820.jpg.24b4022058c1b2f8553468261bc1741f.jpg20200814_135757.jpg.6dba19c8e2663808e6fe30d1d09d7189.jpg

She's still pushing the Haddock at 299....resist it's only tails anyway.

I also went to Retox yesterday and have to say, outstanding-and a very large portion of fish.

For me, Retox Game On and Robin Hood Tavern neck and neck for best F & C in Pattaya. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

I also went to Retox yesterday and have to say, outstanding-and a very large portion of fish.

For me, Retox Game On and Robin Hood Tavern neck and neck for best F & C in Pattaya. 

I don't know if it's still the case, but RHT recently switched to Alaskan Flounder for their Special at 249.
If so, then the RHT Cod is 299.....50 more than Retox GO.

• 2 months later...
On 16/05/2020 at 02:49, Edge said:

When I suggested there was better on the Darkside it was Welcome Inn I was trying to think of.

Only been there once but it was spot on.

On 16/05/2020 at 03:09, Jebb said:

Yes, Welcome Inn has never failed me.

On 16/05/2020 at 07:41, jimboh said:

Welcome Inn, along with the likes of Tropical and Murphy's on Darkside, have not reopened.

All 3 do decent F & C, hopefully they will open once alcohol restrictions lifted.

The Welcome Inn is for sale.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

42 minutes ago, davidge said:

The Welcome Inn is for sale.

Not been yet, but on Darkside the one getting good reviews lately is London Inn.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Cafe/London-Inn-Cafe-and-Bar-Darkside-2526976074041864/

On 15/08/2020 at 15:49, Edge said:

I don't know if it's still the case, but RHT recently switched to Alaskan Flounder for their Special at 249.
If so, then the RHT Cod is 299.....50 more than Retox GO.

RHT now charge 250B on Friday for haddock, and its dame good, can get with either batter or breadcrumbs.

Interestingly, they charge 399B for cod and chips, off their regular menu.