Jump to content

Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya


onlyonetwo

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Edge said:

Not Plakapong see above Pangasius.

Plakapong is the deep bodied pond farmed fish passed off as Sea Bass sometimes, usually seen salted/BBQ'd in the markets, but often steamed or fried whole.
I don't think it's possible to fillet it for FnC too many bones....also cheaper than chips.

Someone may tell me it's Barramundi (real Sea Bass) which Aussies use for FnC ...don't know if Makro have it.

Pangasius/"Pacific Dory"/Vietnamese catfish,  or Basa as they market it here in Oz,  needs to be differentiated from "real" John Dory, a completely different "Order", notable for the distinctive 'eye' on the side of the body (Not an eye,  camouflage against predators, also according to legend the thumbprint of St Peter when he presented the fish to Christ).

The "Dory" name for Viet catfish is similar to bars in Thailand adopting similar name to another successful bar. You are unlikely to see real Dory in Thailand.

Dory and Barramundi are both great eating fish.

Anyway,  I wouldn't trust either appellation in Thailand. 

"Life teaches you how to live it, if you live long enough." - Tony Bennett

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sinbad5 said:

Pangasius/"Pacific Dory"/Vietnamese catfish,  or Basa as they market it here in Oz,  needs to be differentiated from "real" John Dory, a completely different "Order", notable for the distinctive 'eye' on the side of the body (Not an eye,  camouflage against predators, also according to legend the thumbprint of St Peter when he presented the fish to Christ).

The "Dory" name for Viet catfish is similar to bars in Thailand adopting similar name to another successful bar. You are unlikely to see real Dory in Thailand.

Dory and Barramundi are both great eating fish.

Anyway,  I wouldn't trust either appellation in Thailand. 

Definitely, not even same genus.

John Dory is a member of the Tang family and, through the movie Finding Nemo, it got sorta mixed up with the Regal Tang....same genus different species.

Neither likely to be found on a plate of FnC.

1232918150_JohnDoryFish.jpg.e6d37a42e5967f75f223ced5f468818e.jpgmain-qimg-53fbc721382e66a5e1b675e3cfb7abb1.jpg.1297f0bbfe5baac53b919010acb11b23.jpg

 

Edited by Edge
  • Haha 2

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Today I went on a fishing expedition..... first time across the Great Divide (Sukhumvit) in about 3 months.
A couple of times I've nominated Retox Outback, though at 10 kms out it isn't really 'in' Pattaya?

Today's 'Special' was Haddock etc, though at 299 Baht the price isn't too special and neither was the meal.

69684.thumb.jpg.26b372cb2e38c54b050f2bf4909dfaf2.jpg

I'm a big fan of Haddock Fillet back home, but this isn't it.
In the trade these would be called Haddock Tails....not a waste product but not prime either and would sell for half or often less than the price of fillets.
When cheap enough FnC shops would 'glue' two together with rice flour to make something which looked like a fillet when battered and fried.
The problem is that they have no thickness so are not fleshy or flaky and lack the flavour of a fillet....bit mushy really.
I have belatedly realised that probably RetoxGO, Robin Hood and Nicky's are all using Tails, perhaps from the same supplier.......kept thinking I would get Fillet one day but never happened.

The other problem, compared with last times I was there, was that the (real) chips were under cooked (a little raw in the middle) and the oil had been at too low a temperature for the fish, so the batter was chewy, not crisp and had absorbed too much fat.

For me certainly not worth the 20 km round trip and probably there is better to be found somewhere on the Darkside anyway.
 

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to Retox in Pattaya today, special was Haddock but I had Cod off the menu it was 285 baht, plenty of chips good batter, went down well.

 

IMG_20200515_132608642.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually the restaurant in Foodland/Central Rd is known by many of the local guys.

And they do a very tasty Fish and Chips for 189 baht (with some trimmings).

Order, go shopping inside and its waiting for you on the way out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RHT yesterday, 249B, outstanding. Cod fillet. 

I also had problem with Retox GO chips being under cooked, suspect due to some pieces being too big.

Best haddock F & C I have had was in Welcome Inn on Darkside.

thumbnail_IMG_1194.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jimboh said:

RHT yesterday, 249B, outstanding. Cod fillet. 

I also had problem with Retox GO chips being under cooked, suspect due to some pieces being too big.

Best haddock F & C I have had was in Welcome Inn on Darkside.

thumbnail_IMG_1194.jpg

When I suggested there was better on the Darkside it was Welcome Inn I was trying to think of.

Only been there once but it was spot on.

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Welcome Inn has never failed me.

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Inn, along with the likes of Tropical and Murphy's on Darkside, have not reopened.

All 3 do decent F & C, hopefully they will open once alcohol restrictions lifted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Welcome Inn, along with the likes of Tropical and Murphy's on Darkside, have not reopened.

All 3 do decent F & C, hopefully they will open once alcohol restrictions lifted.

Regular in all three of those.Been using East  too. Pint of draught Tiger 65 baht and a decent plate of Swedish meatballs and pasta, will be my first port of call on the Darkside. Meanwhile been eating at Bake n' Brew.

Only restaurant that I could currently recommend on the Darkside is Azure@Fabrice. Does a decent breakfast, food generally good and does a decent F&C too. I'm sure David would appreciate your custom as customers are a bit thin on the ground right now. I'm sure that will change on June 1st though when he reopens the bar.

Edited by petemoss
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be grateful if you could say what sort of 'fish'.

Pangassius ('Dory') will never be on my list, so here it's Cod, Haddock and we used to get Halibut too.
Basically free swimming ocean fish not factory farmed Mekong delta catfish etc even if it is cheaper than the chips.

You are what you eat they say.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/f-sf-cco050718.php

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Edge said:

I'd be grateful if you could say what sort of 'fish'.

Pangassius ('Dory') will never be on my list, so here it's Cod, Haddock and we used to get Halibut too.
Basically free swimming ocean fish not factory farmed Mekong delta catfish etc even if it is cheaper than the chips.

You are what you eat they say.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/f-sf-cco050718.php

Would only eat cod or haddock in Thailand. I've been spectacularly unimpressed by the seafood in Thailand, unless imported.

For F&C in Pattaya, I always go for cod, obviously it's frozen but its the best you'll get here. The problem with haddock is that too many people leave the skin on. Makes the batter soggy and when frozen leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. I think the "skin on" thing is more of a Southern England practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Would only eat cod or haddock in Thailand. I've been spectacularly unimpressed by the seafood in Thailand, unless imported.

For F&C in Pattaya, I always go for cod, obviously it's frozen but its the best you'll get here. The problem with haddock is that too many people leave the skin on. Makes the batter soggy and when frozen leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. I think the "skin on" thing is more of a Southern England practice.

Don't know Southern so much, but definitely Northern (never heard of Harry Ramsden?) and Scotland,  Haddock is skin on.
It's mostly about fat temperature and skin on can be the best taste of all, but no, soggy skin/batter wouldn't work.

The reason why Haddock is OK eaten skin on is that it is a free swimming fish and carries very few parasites.
Cod is a 'dirty bottom feeder' and if you saw it landed full of red worms you might not fancy it, but fortunately they turn to pale grey when cooked so aren't noticeable....can be a big problem for fresh fish mongers.
So back home, Haddock skin on but Cod always skinned, plus the distinctive lateral marking of Haddock is sometimes the only way you're sure.

Properly cooked skin on Haddock comes out like this.

556733727_FishnChips.jpg.de8bfc8d7840006a51045db7acab5d0f.jpg

The rear end of that is what I had yesterday...the Tail.

Edited by Edge

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Don't know Southern so much, but definitely Northern (never heard of Harry Ramsden?) and Scotland,  Haddock is skin on.
It's mostly about fat temperature and skin on can be the best taste of all, but no, soggy skin/batter wouldn't work.

The reason why Haddock is OK eaten skin on is that it is a free swimming fish and carries very few parasites.
Cod is a 'dirty bottom feeder' and if you saw it landed full of red worms you might not fancy it, but fortunately they turn to pale grey when cooked so aren't noticeable....can be a big problem for fresh fish mongers.
So back home, Haddock skin on but Cod always skinned, plus the distinctive lateral marking of Haddock is sometimes the only way you're sure.

Properly cooked skin on Haddock comes out like this.

556733727_FishnChips.jpg.de8bfc8d7840006a51045db7acab5d0f.jpg

The rear end of that is what I had yesterday...the Tail.

Wife was Guisley born and bred. Lived round the corner from the original Harry Ramsdens shop. Did you know that he sold the busness in 1954? Been based in London for many years. Overpriced and overrated.

My granddad owned a chippie back in the day and one of my mates runs a chippie in a Northern holiday resort which he inherited from his dad, been in the family since the early 50s. Haddock, skin off. The oil in the haddock skin does weird things to the batter. Only one reason to leave the skin on, laziness.

Edited by petemoss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, petemoss said:

Wife was Guisley born and bred. Lived round the corner from the original Harry Ramsdens shop. Did you know that he sold the busness in 1954? Been based in London for many years. Overpriced and overrated.

My granddad owned a chippie back in the day and one of my mates runs a chippie in a Northern holiday resort which he inherited from his dad, been in the family since the early 50s. Haddock, skin off. The oil in the haddock skin does weird things to the batter. Only one reason to leave the skin on, laziness.

My hands on days in the fish trade were in the 1960s working for J.Marr of Hull and Fleetwood, when the demand for skinned Haddock was negligible (maybe because it was 2 shillings extra).
The Scots who migrated to Corby were fanatical about skin on.
I only made in to HR's 2 or 3 times. It was good but there were plenty as good around Hull & Grimsby.
The success of HR probably had as much to do with having some Wicksteed Park swings and roundabouts and attracting the coach trips.
Yes I know they went corporate, been to franchises in Birmingham and Heathrow...one in HK?....pale imitations of course.
The other essential ingredient was Beef Dripping.....which sadly became a casualty of BSE.

Skin on or off, are we ever likely to see anything like it here?
Goose's did it for a while.
Ian set Jolly Friar up pretty well in the beginning.
Fryday guy did ok for just a couple of deep fat fryers.
Today there's not much to choose from, but with Covid and the GBP slipping away who cares about a few Brits anyway?

  • Like 3

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Edge said:

The other essential ingredient was Beef Dripping.....which sadly became a casualty of BSE.

Nailed it with this ! :Clap:

Although I still remember a chippy in Selby back in the late-70s, which I believe was Italian-owned, who cooked with olive-oil which gave a distinctive light golden batter to the fish or battered-sausages. :)

Edited by semi-retired member
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/04/2020 at 18:06, Edge said:

Not Plakapong see above Pangasius.

Plakapong is the deep bodied pond farmed fish passed off as Sea Bass sometimes, usually seen salted/BBQ'd in the markets, but often steamed or fried whole.
I don't think it's possible to fillet it for FnC too many bones....also cheaper than chips.

Someone may tell me it's Barramundi (real Sea Bass) which Aussies use for FnC ...don't know if Makro have it.

Australia is spoiled when it comes to seafood, being and island and all :)

Cod is usually the cheapest and it goes up from there.... The best places have a variety of fresh fish that you can choose from and they cook on the spot for you, and did I mention our prawns :)

Not many things I miss about Aus, but quality seafood is one of them. 

Retox Outback is a regular place for me, fish and chips are probably the best around, not great by Aussie standards, but beggars acan't be choosers. The one thing I do like is the home made chips, not frozen garbage like most places... Very hard to get home made chips back in Aus in the last decade.... 

  • Like 3

Regards,

 

Atlas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Atlas said:

Australia is spoiled when it comes to seafood

Quite right mate, I will never eat fish-n-chips in LOS as the fish quality disappoints. I will however, be happy to go to the seafood market and pig out on whatever takes my fancy there. At least you see what you are buying.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Today, went to Nadia's, Soi Bonkot, for cod and chips, went for beans instead of peas. Was 239B, meal was average, better options around town for a few Baht more.

Again, as mentioned elsewhere, extremely loudmouthed staff.

thumbnail_IMG_1808.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Surprised no one mentioned 

Sportsman  - I find the coating a bit on the heavy side but it’s a decent sized piece of Cod.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/08/2020 at 13:45, ABUSER said:

Surprised no one mentioned 

Sportsman  - I find the coating a bit on the heavy side but it’s a decent sized piece of Cod.


Phonecam not work?:D

Sportsman these days is just a bit off the beaten track for some of us....as Palmers became.
I know I should try it, but I need persuading please....photo and price?
Edit - I went for Sunday carvery recently but no AC is no good...maybe so the carvery stayed hot but phew.

Options are reducing lately, I think it's time I gave Frydays New Plaza another go looking at the photo up there......only no Baked Beans thanks.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Edge

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edge said:

I know I should try it, but I need persuading please....photo and price?

I tried the Sports F/C offering a few months back I think the price was about 279Baht was a special, I was just walking past and saw the sign And popped in.

Very disappointing the batter on the fish (COD) was terrible really thick and soggy/greasy and started  to make me feel queasy  after a few mouthfuls,and the chips were slightly under cooked

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.