IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya

onlyonetwo

39 minutes ago, TWD said:

For info, looks like the Jolly Friar on Lengkee is gone - cleared out the other day

Shame, was very good once upon a time.

The For Sale signs had been up for some time.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Shame, was very good once upon a time.

The For Sale signs had been up for some time.

Few buyers left in the market at the moment, unless it’s prime location and a quality business with genuine, stable goodwill

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

On 30/08/2019 at 02:18, Pheat said:

Yep Retox Game On is the best I have found in Pattaya ( Friday Haddock special 299 B)

Don't waste  you’re time with all the other cheaper 170/200 offerings all round town always shite slimy tasteless fish 

Another vote for Retox F&C...  best I've had.

• 4 months later...

Yesterdys Friday treat took me to Welcome Inn on Darkside, had the cod, hand cut chips and mushy peas. Priced at 265B, they also do a haddock at 285B.

Both the fish and chips were good and the peas were as poor as they look in photo. If I return, must remember to opt for garden peas or baked beans.

Nice place, reasonably busy and service good, missus did enjoy her Thai food, large portion.

f c thumbnail_IMG_0129.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Yesterdys Friday treat took me to Welcome Inn on Darkside, had the cod, hand cut chips and mushy peas. Priced at 265B, they also do a haddock at 285B.

Both the fish and chips were good and the peas were as poor as they look in photo. If I return, must remember to opt for garden peas or baked beans.

Nice place, reasonably busy and service good, missus did enjoy her Thai food, large portion.

f c thumbnail_IMG_0129.jpg

Being an Aussie, the mushy peas don't matter and those look ordinary. Fresh garden peas are the go. The fish and chips look delicious.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tigers2017 said:

Being an Aussie, the mushy peas don't matter and those look ordinary. Fresh garden peas are the go. The fish and chips look delicious.

Agreed, I never could figure out the infatuation with mushy peas. It just resembles something you feed a toddler.

This is interesting:

Some claim it was John Lees, who was believed to have been selling fish and chips in Lancashire as early as 1863. However, others say that was Joseph Malin, an Ashkenazi Jewish immigrant, who in 1860, started the first chippy (fish and chip shop) in East London.

http://thequeensheadbar.com/2017/03/original-culinary-fusion-fish-chips/

QHFishChips-1-700x468.jpg

Edited by BillyB33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Noticed a few weeks ago, that the long standing Simon F & C in Jomtien, has closed up.

It was one of the few places, years ago, that sold a proper European style F & C.

However, the last few times I was in, noticed it had gone down hill, appeared the Thais had taken over.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I take this Friday the fish and chips from Retox in soi Honey. Always on Friday's special for 299BHT.  Haddock fish, yummy :-)

But I was surprised, now they give a discount, just around 270BHT now, because only for take away.

I don't remember exactly the price, it was around 270 or 275 

• Like 3

So, now I know it.....10 % discount for take away for all meals at Retox.

I walked yesterday again truth soi honey and seeing it. 

I don't eat the cheap factory farmed Pangassius (AKA Dory) so it's either Cod or Haddock for me.

@jimboh
Simon's went downhill an awful long time ago....he kept it going (sort of) long enough to sell it to a Norwegian (I think) who just let it slide away.

@Creamboy
I prefer Haddock to Cod so I have tried, but found Retox GO not a patch on Retox Outback (too far unfortunately)
Yes 299 and the 10% discount is for takeaway, same as at other places.

I've settled on the Friday Special of Cod at Robin Hood 249 Baht and also   -10%.
Their Haddock is not on special, but is also 299   -10%.

Takeaway
20200403_185451.thumb.jpg.e168042c2bb52b95e54025fc86d16740.jpg

Eat In - back soon I hope.

May 2019 in the Ribshack at the Hideaway, i did like it. But i only have F&C once a year, so maybe not the one to trust on this topic :)

IMG20190510134413.jpg

On 05/09/2019 at 05:31, Knucklehead303 said:

Another vote for Retox F&C...  best I've had.

I'm no expert and I've had it in Manchester and London. Of the few places I've had it here Retox was the best! 

Yesterday, had the F & C from Retox game on, was around 260B, and was good.

Have to say, both Retox game on and Robin Hood Tavern are the top 2 in Pattaya.

If I had to make a call, I would say RHT just shades it.

fand c_IMG_1079.jpg

I called in Retox but their special was Haddock and I was getting that at Nicky's so RHT it is for me with it being Cod really takes some beating and mushy peas....excellent.  I also had the half rack of ribs yesterday at RHT and they were great too and very good value at 195 Baht :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, artie1234 said:

Seaside off soi 7, is this place still open?

No, closed last year.

The best fish n chips that represents good value for the last few yrs has been at the well established Nickys on soi buakow.

Big portion of haddock n chips with peas and slices of bread and butter too as its a Friday special. I prefer haddock over cod and not interested in local farmed fish.

Long gone now are the old faves that I used to go to being the Jolly Friar on lengkee and Simons in Jomtien, times and owners change and not for the better so it seems.

• Like 3

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

7 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

The best fish n chips that represents good value for the last few yrs has been at the well established Nickys on soi buakow.

Big portion of haddock n chips with peas and slices of bread and butter too as its a Friday special. I prefer haddock over cod and not interested in local farmed fish.

Long gone now are the old faves that I used to go to being the Jolly Friar on lengkee and Simons in Jomtien, times and owners change and not for the better so it seems.

Simon cut his own throat by cheating his customers. Tidy profit in advertising Cod but actually giving them Plakapong, until he got caught!

• Like 2

Simon cut his own throat by cheating his customers. Tidy profit in advertising Cod but actually giving them Plakapong, until he got caught!

Plakapong it wasn’t as most of the time it’s more expensive per kg than Cod. What was being used was “Dory” blech :-/

26 minutes ago, ractdi said:

Plakapong it wasn’t as most of the time it’s more expensive per kg than Cod. What was being used was “Dory” blech :-/

Not real Dory for sure, try Pangasius etc......factory farmed Mekong river catfish.

Wet soggy tasteless mush........and cheaper than the chips.

It's what many CC restaurants use for their Friday 'Special' and is pictured several times in posts above.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/580009-the-dory-fish-scam/

https://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

To be fair, it's difficult to know what's inside the batter until you open it, but 150 Baht and below will be Pangasius.

For those stuck back in the UK, if FnC shops were open it should look like this.

570041325_FishnChips.jpg.e5c4d47a1025d9e3f60afe7b54626727.jpg

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ractdi said:

Plakapong it wasn’t as most of the time it’s more expensive per kg than Cod. What was being used was “Dory” blech :-/

I'm not convinced Vietnamese farmed Plakapong from Macro would be more expensive than the imported Icelandic Cod he was advertising but you could be right. I was just told Plakapong was the offending article.

14 minutes ago, timmitchell said:

I'm not convinced Vietnamese farmed Plakapong from Macro would be more expensive than the imported Icelandic Cod he was advertising but you could be right. I was just told Plakapong was the offending article.

Not Plakapong see above Pangasius.

Plakapong is the deep bodied pond farmed fish passed off as Sea Bass sometimes, usually seen salted/BBQ'd in the markets, but often steamed or fried whole.
I don't think it's possible to fillet it for FnC too many bones....also cheaper than chips.

Someone may tell me it's Barramundi (real Sea Bass) which Aussies use for FnC ...don't know if Makro have it.

• Like 2