IGNORED

Keep a second set of clubs for holiday?

sharpchedder

How many of you guys that go for holiday leave a set of clubs in pats? I know some golf bars offer storage, but I'm just a little afraid my clubs will go into the mix n match rental section and when I get back they wont be how I left them. Would be leaving pretty nice clubs that guys would want to game. Any other storage options, or am I being paranoid?

Being paranoid mate. Which ever bar you play with the have lockers. Pay your annual locker charge and no one will go in it.

domt worry

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

In theory it's a good idea to leave clubs but the reality is I still end up bringing whatever it is I'm currently gaming at home.  Even though I left forged Mizuno's in Pattaya I'm 100% sure I'll be bringing my new set with me.  It's not a big hassle to throw the travel golf bag onto the trolley and then over to oversize luggage once on the way and once on the way back.  Might be different if my flights charged for an extra bag and it was crazy expensive.  Most carriers I've used allow 2 checked bags.

I'd be adverse to leaving my clubs for the year in general storage and indeed if I was the golf bar I wouldn't want to have any responsibility for left items being stolen or damaged.  In a locker, different story.  Barring that if you have any buddies that own a condo/property, maybe you could leave with them.

Mizuno's for sale!

My 1st golf trip in 2008 was going to be a "one off trip"

17 trips later it would have been a good idea to leave a set at my hotel, they have a locked storage room for just that purpose.

Certainly would have saved $22 in wrapping at Perth airport and $6 at Bangkok....that's almost the cost of a good driver and half decent irons.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

19 hours ago, farcanal said:

My 1st golf trip in 2008 was going to be a "one off trip"

17 trips later it would have been a good idea to leave a set at my hotel, they have a locked storage room for just that purpose.

Certainly would have saved $22 in wrapping at Perth airport and $6 at Bangkok....that's almost the cost of a good driver and half decent irons.

Wrapping?  If it's what I think it is, why wouldn't you just buy a travel bag, especially some time before 17 trips?

That's pretty good service by your hotel to store customer items for months at a time.  Good on them.  I'm not sure any hotels I've used would do that.

If you have a locker they shouldn't be disturbed.  I know I'm paranoid about my clubs.  I don't leave them anywhere even overnight.  And if I didn't have a condo I would definitely rent a locker in Pattaya and store a set there.  I hate checking luggage and if you know you'll be back invest in a second set.  It's a good excuse to buy new clubs.  :D

17 hours ago, dirkdeee said:

Wrapping?  If it's what I think it is, why wouldn't you just buy a travel bag, especially some time before 17 trips?

That's pretty good service by your hotel to store customer items for months at a time.  Good on them.  I'm not sure any hotels I've used would do that.

Yeah, a travel bag was considered but the ones I looked at seemed to lack enough pockets.

One of the guys who came with us last time had one of these and he was disappointed in the lack of storage pockets .

Wrapping is a necessity to protect shafts from breaking, especially the longer ones. Even with wrapping I've had one shaft snapped.

A mate had a shaft broken travelling from Perth to Adelaide (didn't wrap) and my son in law had his driver shaft snapped travelling from Dubai to Perth, also didn't wrap.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

A few things readers may find helpful.  One is travel bags come in hard cases which will effectively stop club breakage.  Also, most drivers(90% +) today are adjustable and therefore the shaft separates from the head with use of a tool.  When packing your driver take the head off and stick it in the headcover and throw it in the side pocket or in your checked luggage.  Then put the shaft tip down in your golf bag.  You can also try the adjustable pole called a stiff arm which you set in your bag longer than your driver.  I'm thankful that in a dozen trips with clubs I've never had any breakage but since the advent of adjustable drivers I've packed the head and shaft separately as described above.(I use a soft case travel bag)  I then pack my golf clothes up around the heads of the other clubs for added protection.

I'm still a bit clued out about the wrapping vs a travel bag.  How does wrapping strengthen the driver(or clubs) to prevent breakage?  Also if # of pockets is a concern, wrapping isn't a solution either?  I'm sure I just don't understand what this wrapping is or does.

mai pang motorcycle in jomtien has  storage, and she is honest and been there 15 years and owns the building so it will be safe there

One issue with golf bar storage lockers is that they typically do not have ventilation and if you leave the clubs there 6 months or more they can have some dry rot on the bag, covers and grips.  Also some lockers will not accommodate the bag and clubs if the clubs are not placed in the bag.  Recommend you find a place  that has ventilation or leave with a friend or local storage company.  I leave mine with a friend and take them out of the bag and then open all the pockets of the bag for circulation.  Even then it is not in air conditioned/dry room so ventilation is important.  I have had the soles of golf shoes separate and require regluing or replacement for these reasons.   

Common sense is not very common.

Archived