Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Some useful Thai words

Hi I bought this book not so long ago and it's good. It's more of a introduction to the language rather than a book with useful phrases.

6a00d414183d1e685e00d4141c42df685e_500pi.jpg

And there's a dictionary at the back.

Edited by moc1978

“Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect -and I don't live to be- but before you start pointing fingers... make sure you hands are clean!”. Bob Marley.

CountdownClockCodes.com

thank you moc1978, I,m not o India or Thailand yet, and I think can't found this book.

If there is a way to learn just some simple worlds please help me.

thank you moc1978, I,m not o India or Thailand yet, and I think can't found this book.

If there is a way to learn just some simple worlds please help me.

Try this website. Just type in any words you want the translation for http://www.thai-language.com/dict/ There's also the "Learning Thai" section of the board near the bootom of the page.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• 3 weeks later...
If you just want to memorize some phrases, I think this will do:

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/thai-language-lessons/

For learning the basics of the language, I think Pimsleur Thai is a great starting point, coupled with "Thai for beginners".

this. x2

and you should try out the "benjawan poomsam becker" Thai for Beginners.

with the pimsleur thai, did you get the handbook/pdf for it? mine seems to be missing

Travel, Alcohol, Girls, Gym

w1370i.jpg

with the pimsleur thai, did you get the handbook/pdf for it? mine seems to be missing

I don't have the handbook too... I got the mp3s of the Pimsleur CDs from a friend that got them from a friend, etc etc... :Whistle:

However, it's kind of easy to find out the spelling/definitions of the different words, I used to look up thai-language.com.

I don't believe there's a lie in every smile.

• 1 year later...

Agree with MOC1978. The Teach Yourself Thai by David Smyth book is excellent. Covers off the grammar really well and gives you some good insight into the language. Highly reccomended if you want to really learn the language.

You can go to various websites where you can learn the odd word and phrase but really learning the key elements of the language will serve you better short term and long term. If you want to quickly learn some useful everyday Thai words and phrases that will get you along I would recommend the Speak Thai volume 1 book and dvd that's aimed at begginers. It really covers off all the basic words and phrases you're going to need. It has a whole chapter on greetings and goodbyes, and full chapters on eating, drinking, and initial conversation when first meeting people, that contains some really useful words and phrases, most of which you're going be hearing and want to use. It also covers off key grammar and question words really well. I personally think it's a pretty accessible introduction to the language, and with the DVD you'll get to learn proper pronuniciation from day one, a real plus. Worth checking out at www.learnspeakthai.com where you can see a preview of the book and dvd content. It's quite a good read too, so really isn't a heavy slog to learn from it.

The other good options for you might be to consider buying a basic phrasebook. The James Higbie Let's Speak Thai is really good if you want to go that route. Comes with a short cd pronunciation guide which is better than none at all. The Lonely Planet and Rough Guide phrasebooks are also really quite good too and are a very convenient size to carry too.

Edited by Bakseeda

Best phrase ever......... Mai mee Satang.... Kaban lao or Satang Mut Lao But that one is only for the morning

There was some sort of 'bar guide' for Thailand, made by an ex pat I think. Can't remember what it was called but it got some good reviews, wasn't your normal language guide from what I read. I think there is a thread over on the Phuket info forum. Shame there isn't an online version otherwise I would have gotten it. I got a few here I have been trying to memorize.

Greetings and some other simple phrases

Hello = Sawasdee krub

Good morning! - a-roon-sa-was

Good evening - sa-yan-sa-was

How are you? = Sabai dee mai

I'm fine. = Sabai dee

I'm not feeling well. = Phom mai sabai

Thank you = Kob kun

Sorry - ko-thod-ka

My name is.... = pohm cheu...

What's your name? = Kun cheu arai

Nice to meet you. = Yin dee tee dai rue juk

Yes = Chai

No = Mai chai

Good luck = Chok dee

Pardon me - Kaw tot krab

I don't understand - mai khao jai

Can I take a picture = thaai ruup dai mai

Please make the food not spicy = khaaw mai phet

Where are you from? - kun-ma-jak-tee-nai

I'm from England - phom-ma-jak-England

I will be right back! - leaw phom-ja-klab-ma-mai

Good night and sweet dreams! - ra-tee-sa-was

I need to practice my Thai - phom-yak-fik-pa-sa-thai

Shopping

How much is this? = Nee tow rai

It's a bit too expensive. = Pang pai noy

Can you lower the price? = Lod raka dai mai krub?

I really like it. = Chob maak

Expressing Your Feelings

I'm having fun. = Sanook mak

I'm full. = phom im

Did you have a good time - sa nook mai krab

I want to go to...= phom yak pai...

I've got a stomachache. = phom puad tong

I like Thai people. = Phom chob kon thai

I don't want to go back home. = Pohm mai yak klub baan

Cute - Narak (nalak)

I missed you so much! - phom-kid-thung-kun-mak

Flirting