IGNORED

Disadvantages of staying at a vt6 condo?

and_d

4 hours ago, 60minuteman said:

comparing the base to vt6 just on price is a mistake.. the base has no shops and the trip from your condo to get anything is long and tiresome, the base condos are the modern style with tiny rooms and naff fixtures and fittings. VT6 condos are spacious and better insulated. You can have a 48sq/m studio in vt6, the 1 beds in the base are 32sq/m... they feel boxy and uncomfortable.

I'm not a total fan of The Base, I've booked on Soi 15 for my next trip, but my comments were not based on simple price.  I was commenting on price and what you got for it, ie value.  In both The Base and VT6 there are good and bad condos in terms of height and what the view from them is, and of course there are different prices going on, so conclusions can only be vague.  I've spent nearly a couple of months in one Base condo which is high with that great southwards view, and it is about half or a third of the price of the Honey/Dancewatchers high VT6 condos facing southwards.  The Base condo is smaller (35 sq m) and the furniture isn't ideal for me, but to me that much lower price represents better value.

I'd prefer to argue the case for the Soi 15 condo blocks than the case for The Base - I'll be staying in the former on my next trip.  I'll be in a 46sq m one-bed condo in Soi 15 in peak season costing about B1000 a night, which AIUI has a good layout, furniture and is closer to WS, and I think that's about half the price of the good VT6 units in peak season.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, raviinc said:

After living for two years why would you say it sucks.

I'd guess that he thinks VT6 sucks now because before, when he lived there, it was mainly owners occupying it and so well behaved and quiet, whilst now it's much more short term rented so there are short termers who behave badly, noise, nuisance etc.  Just my guess.

20 minutes ago, raviinc said:

After living for two years why would you say it sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I moved in the building was nearly empty.  It was a great place to live before these agencies filled it up with short timers jumping off the balconies.

Retired

1 minute ago, Piece Corp said:

When I moved in the building was nearly empty.  It was a great place to live before these agencies filled it up with short timers jumping off the balconies.

Ha ha I don't think you mean short timers!  Were the girls they BFed so bad that they jumped in order to escape them!

Correct me if im wrong but i thought there had only been one person jump from VT6

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, DavidSkin said:

Correct me if im wrong but i thought there had only been one person jump from VT6

such events are often given the very minimum if any news coverage. not only in VT6 but in general.

That didnt answer my question

6 hours ago, SirL said:

.  I've spent nearly a couple of months in one Base condo which is high with that great southwards view, and it is about half or a third of the price of the Honey/Dancewatchers high VT6 condos facing southwards.  The Base condo is smaller (35 sq m) and the furniture isn't ideal for me, but to me that much lower price represents better value.

I

I've heard on this forum that a big problem with the Base is that many of the condos don't have wifi. That's one reason I passed on it this trip. I may here for 4 months and am not about to go without wifi.

2 hours ago, DavidSkin said:

That didnt answer my question

There has been a lot more than one!

Stayed at 26-1004 with Dancewatchers some time ago.

Fantastic view, nice room, huge bed that could fit 5, I only managed 3.  Good central location.

Have not stayed since as I prefer smaller places such as Residence Garden.

5 hours ago, DavidSkin said:

Soi 15 units have a pool?

I think so, yes.  The Avenue, the one I'll be staying in, certainly does, and I think the others do, but check details of anything you're thinking of.

19598627_328545340913683_5498767153532174197_n.jpg.3945db05bc0a1f9a7bbd0f35ad085376.jpg

18620310_1562651013776101_347704277863971485_n.jpg.f50da2d07f623e4afd346c77ed82cb8b.jpg

PoolAfternoon.jpg.9aca2c9edb8100021499768425289f78.jpg

2 hours ago, Sexyfarangman said:

I've heard on this forum that a big problem with the Base is that many of the condos don't have wifi. That's one reason I passed on it this trip. I may here for 4 months and am not about to go without wifi.

The deal with The Base wifi is that by default none of the condos have any sort of wifi, no chance at all.  There is free wifi in the open-access lounges on the ground floor and top floor, but no chance by default in the condos themselves.  Wifi must be installed with eg AIS by the owner, yourself, whoever.  The condo I stayed in had AIS internet, wifi router already installed by the owner which worked perfectly, great.  Many owners have installed private wifi, but that's non-negotiable to me, any condo without it I'd simply ignore.  There are plenty with private wifi installed, and assuming that's important, you should only take seriously those condos, not the no-private-wifi ones.

Can I ask a question about VT6, which I don't know all that well?

Over December/January, is it correct that good units eg medium/high elevation on the south side hopefully closer to the sea than Second Rd, with good wifi however that's obtained, are all at least B2000/night?  That's how it seemed to me which is why I passed on VT6 for the reason of value that they seemed (to me) a bit expensive.  Are there good VT6 units available in Dec/Jan for less than B2000/night?

A quick outline of the unit layout in The Base and The Avenue on Soi 15 which I'll be staying in.

The Base unit I stayed in was 34 sq m and had this layout, which I thought worked OK.  Not huge, but IMO not a problem for size for a couple of months.  Ladies staying overnight worked fine, they like The Base because they think it's quiet.

BaseAptFloorPlan.jpg.c19ff6a6418663ee559b8f28b024d220.jpg

The one-bed apmts in The Avenue, which I'll be staying in next time, are 46.6 sq m and have this layout:

597670b3ee2ca_AvenueTypeA2.jpg.3da89b31e5893b5cbf887f98684ce8b3.jpg

VT6 is good, I stayed there many times. But for my next trip I booked an hotel instead, mostly for the better facilities. 

The pool at VT6 is clean but in my opinion not so good because it's relatively small compared to the number of apartments. During my last trip I sometimes couldn't enjoy it because it was overcrowded — all the sun beds were already taken.

Next trip I'm going to Areca Lodge. Never stayed there yet but according to the photos, for slightly cheaper than VT6 I'll get 2 pools and a fitness center. No sea view, a smaller room but it's not that important to me.

1 hour ago, SirL said:

The deal with The Base wifi is that by default none of the condos have any sort of wifi, no chance at all.  There is free wifi in the open-access lounges on the ground floor and top floor, but no chance by default in the condos themselves.  Wifi must be installed with eg AIS by the owner, yourself, whoever.  The condo I stayed in had AIS internet, wifi router already installed by the owner which worked perfectly, great.  Many owners have installed private wifi, but that's non-negotiable to me, any condo without it I'd simply ignore.  There are plenty with private wifi installed, and assuming that's important, you should only take seriously those condos, not the no-private-wifi ones.

Never bother with the Wifi  in hotels or Condos, just use the 4G hotspot on my phone (unlimited data when roaming for s$10 per day, maximum s$40 per month after that is free), I'll be using it when I'm out & about anyway so save nothing by using it when in the room and it's usually faster than the public wifi offered.

If you don't mind me asking, the room in the Avenue looks really  nice, where did you book it and how much per night?

20 minutes ago, JB300 said:

If you don't mind me asking, the room in the Avenue looks really  nice, where did you book it and how much per night?

If it's OK I'd rather keep anonymous and not give personal details, sorry.  Just hunt around, you'll find plenty of Avenue and Urban rooms for rent.

There are plenty of one-beds at The Avenue with the layout I've posted.  I've booked for more than one month right in the busiest part of peak season, and I've already advance paid at the rate of B730/night.  

There is a smaller studio format (35 sq m) at The Avenue with this layout

5976857e5d242_AvenueTypeB.jpg.f72b1b67ea053b894acf604cf0548925.jpg

and I'm sure that's cheaper.

The Base condo I stayed in last time was about the same B700ish price per night.

To get back to the VT6 subject of this thread, the price is the disadvantage of VT6 - I looked through Dancewatchers and Honey's inventories and they all seemed a lot more expensive than the Base/Avenue/Urban options on my short list at B700-900 per night, and I couldn't really see what VT6 really offered on top to justify their higher prices.

The VT6 condo I was most interested in was http://www.honeyscoffeehouse.com/17622-walking-street-side/ , but that appears to be B2600/night in peak season, though monthly discounts would apply for me.  I just couldn't see the value when compared to my other options below B1000/night

I'd be grateful for an answer to my price question in #40.  Are there less than B2000 or so a night in peak season good condos in VT6 that I missed?

At the VT6 the nightly rate is 2200baht minus the discount of 25% for two week stay = 1650baht. That is for a high level room with sea view in a great location. That's what I'm paying for two weeks in October

5 hours ago, SirL said:

A quick outline of the unit layout in The Base and The Avenue on Soi 15 which I'll be staying in.

The Base unit I stayed in was 34 sq m and had this layout, which I thought worked OK.  Not huge, but IMO not a problem for size for a couple of months.  Ladies staying overnight worked fine, they like The Base because they think it's quiet.

BaseAptFloorPlan.jpg.c19ff6a6418663ee559b8f28b024d220.jpg

The one-bed apmts in The Avenue, which I'll be staying in next time, are 46.6 sq m and have this layout:

Are there any bed sheets and towel changes at the Base or Avenue?

4 hours ago, Sexyfarangman said:

Are there any bed sheets and towel changes at the Base or Avenue?

My Base condo came with two sets of clean bed sheets and three or four clean towels, and it was up to me to change them and get them washed (I left them dirty!)  There was no maid service, but no doubt that could have been arranged if I wanted, for example via the owner with whatever cleaner did the between-rentals cleaning.

I don't know about the Avenue condo, have to see when the time comes.

4 hours ago, burgher said:

At the VT6 the nightly rate is 2200baht minus the discount of 25% for two week stay = 1650baht. That is for a high level room with sea view in a great location. That's what I'm paying for two weeks in October

Thanks for reply.  I was talking peak Dec/Jan season, which is often more expensive.  I think the VT6 condo I linked in #44 is B2200 for quite a bit of the year, but goes up to B2600 over Dec/Jan.

Small questions here if anyone can answer: 

1. where do you book ? The avenue one looks nice but i'm not sure what site to use to book with them, I usually do all my booking on Agoda

2. how do you handle the trash ? Is there communal trash where you can put yours ?

15 hours ago, DavidSkin said:

LoL - maybe so far today! :)

So many people have condo dived from VT6 the staff has a process of scraping up  the worse of the meat and gore with a snow shovel into black sacks and they just leave the rest for the rats and Soi dogs to clean up.

Sharky posted a video after a jumper last year and once the corpse had been carted away the staff had just chucked some dirt and stones over the splatter and left it!

Archived