IGNORED

Bruno's Jomtien

I hadn't tried this restaurant before as it's a bit outside my usual price range. However, they have a (low season?) weekly set menu at 550++ baht so thought I'd try.

Very much a fine dining experience in nice surroundings and attentive staff.

Each week there is a choice of 4 starters and 4 mains, followed by a dessert and tea/coffee.

I had pumpkin soup followed by NZ beef tenderloin. You also get an appetiser and a between course sorbet. The coffee came with 6 chocolates/sweets. I also had a glass of red wine, along with water.

Around 700 baht without wine or 870 with.

Exceptional value for really good food.

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.3e0f43537712e42e1b362ff1a1045c80.JPGIMG_1905.thumb.JPG.4b15db06e4615ee39241e485f42e6525.JPGIMG_1906.thumb.JPG.a10944aa68bec14687226cd0c47d71d2.JPG

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

bruno's has excellent food......thats a good deal

I am a fan of Bruno's and that is a very good deal. My favorite entree is their Rack of Lamb.

Bruno's has been around for a very long for one reason, they are very good with out breaking the bank. Never been disappointed there.

I would post my Rack of Lamb pic, but I took it early in my camera pic days and it comes out sideways. :(

On another visit I had the Chilean Snow Flake Fish. Absolutely delicious. 

The only Jomtien restaurants that I like better are Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin.

Brunos-Chilean Snow Flake Fish.JPG

Looks good.

I'll certainly put Bruno's on my list of regular places. Probably stick to the set menu this trip as it's too good an offer to pass up.

BTW if a pic shows sideways I find that resizing it slightly on the phone before posting usually solves the problem. Just make it less 'tall'

On 7/18/2017 at 1:00 PM, davidge said:

I hadn't tried this restaurant before as it's a bit outside my usual price range. However, they have a (low season?) weekly set menu at 550++ baht so thought I'd try.

Very much a fine dining experience in nice surroundings and attentive staff.

Each week there is a choice of 4 starters and 4 mains, followed by a dessert and tea/coffee.

I had pumpkin soup followed by NZ beef tenderloin. You also get an appetiser and a between course sorbet. The coffee came with 6 chocolates/sweets. I also had a glass of red wine, along with water.

Around 700 baht without wine or 870 with.

Exceptional value for really good food.

IMG_1904.thumb.JPG.3e0f43537712e42e1b362ff1a1045c80.JPGIMG_1905.thumb.JPG.4b15db06e4615ee39241e485f42e6525.JPGIMG_1906.thumb.JPG.a10944aa68bec14687226cd0c47d71d2.JPG

Fantastic presentation 

41 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I would post my Rack of Lamb pic, but I took it early in my camera pic days and it comes out sideways. :(

On another visit I had the Chilean Snow Flake Fish. Absolutely delicious. 

The only Jomtien restaurants that I like better are Cafe des Amis and Au bon Coin.

Brunos-Chilean Snow Flake Fish.JPG

I totally agree

Just now, Jay Wobble said:

Fantastic presentation 

22 hours ago, davidge said:

BTW if a pic shows sideways I find that resizing it slightly on the phone before posting usually solves the problem. Just make it less 'tall'

Thanks for the tip. I end up with too many pics on my phone and archive the ones I like to my laptop. I'll play with the one in question, just to see if I can get it right.

2 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks for the tip. I end up with too many pics on my phone and archive the ones I like to my laptop. I'll play with the one in question, just to see if I can get it right.

Rack of Lamb pic.

Brunos Rack of Lamb.jpg

Went back tonight with 2 friends. 

My choice from the set:

IMG_2106.thumb.JPG.7923485573f864ecd5fd5486126807ba.JPG

Selection of bread & breadsticks. We'd all already helped ourselves.

IMG_2108.thumb.JPG.563552def6cb13b7cbaac392178e44b1.JPG

Amuse bouche

IMG_2109.thumb.JPG.659f7746689c2899f9d25bb67ced44dc.JPG

Andalucian salad

IMG_2110.thumb.JPG.4b8fa7eb93fae30bee91ff74e403c818.JPG

Chicken Parmigiano

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.54d1e6f299452c6cf3812f97b11c5c8e.JPG

Dessert

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.5798f263adb4f8d7f4e55c37a4a9a896.JPG

To accompany coffee.

Water & glass of house wine. Total 824 baht.

I've been here a few times with varying results, on the right day it's decent food, but I find it inconsistent.

One thing that's apparent from both the pictures shown here, and my own experience, is the presentation.

It's like they're stuck in a time warp back to the 70s...

Whole clumps of herbs (anyone tried eating these) and minute portions of vegetables, none of which add anything to the finished plate. Modern fine dining no longer equates to sparrow sized portions unless it's a taster menu of 6+ courses. 

For the price point to which it aspires, it'd be laughed outa town up against a quality restaurant.

800 baht isn't bad for a 4 course meal. Doesn't look all that great to me though.

Looks great to me and I frequent the place at least once a week, when I am in Jomtien. And that is a ridiculously well priced dinner. If the Rack of Lamb makes the specials, definitely go for it.

The 'summer' Set Menu special is excellent value. 2 friends ordered different starters and mains to me and all 3 of us thought the food was very good.

I'd say the beef I had on my previous visit was the best of the lot, but no complaints about anything. 

Shame I'm leaving Saturday so I'm unlikely to try a different set menu this trip.

13 hours ago, buckowski said:

I've been here a few times with varying results, on the right day it's decent food, but I find it inconsistent.

One thing that's apparent from both the pictures shown here, and my own experience, is the presentation.

Whole clumps of herbs (anyone tried eating these) and minute portions of vegetables, none of which add anything to the finished plate. Modern fine dining no longer equates to sparrow sized portions unless it's a taster menu of 6+ courses. 

For the price point to which it aspires, it'd be laughed outa town up against a quality restaurant.

Not been there myself as generally cook all my own food. Cannot agree however that presentation looks from 70's. Looks extremely up to date from most " quality restaurants" I have visited around the world. All overpriced needless to say. Take a look at worldwide Masterchef, Top Chef, etc TV progs, doubt you'll see much different presentation wise.

B's use to be the top stand alone restaurant in town when I came here first! It's still on regular rotation after 15 years of good food and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryle

• 1 month later...

I had a rather poor experience at Bruno's last night and I am one of the people who have touted the place in the past.

They continue to pack in more tables and chairs. I assume that this is done in order to draw the Korean etc. tour groups. I understand there is probably good money in that, but those loads stress the kitchen and staff to the point that food and service suffers. The bus boy tripped over the end of a tightly positioned table and almost dumped a tray of dirty dishes on me. I felt sorry for the poor kid.

The kicker though was that the meal was poorly prepared. For my last several trips I have ordered the Rack of Lamb on my first night back in Jomtien. Last night it was overcooked, dry, and tasteless. Add on to that the diminishing wine glass servings and I am very unlikely to give them a second chance this trip.

People used to say the place is not what it used to be. I was new to the place then. I can now say it is not what it used to be when it wasn't what it used to be.

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I had a rather poor experience at Bruno's last night and I am one of the people who have touted the place in the past.

They continue to pack in more tables and chairs. I assume that this is done in order to draw the Korean etc. tour groups. I understand there is probably good money in that, but those loads stress the kitchen and staff to the point that food and service suffers. The bus boy tripped over the end of a tightly positioned table and almost dumped a tray of dirty dishes on me. I felt sorry for the poor kid.

The kicker though was that the meal was poorly prepared. For my last several trips I have ordered the Rack of Lamb on my first night back in Jomtien. Last night it was overcooked, dry, and tasteless. Add on to that the diminishing wine glass servings and I am very unlikely to give them a second chance this trip.

People used to say the place is not what it used to be. I was new to the place then. I can now say it is not what it used to be when it wasn't what it used to be.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it's a temporary blip - but it tends not to be when Pattaya restaurants start to slide :wacko:

Enjoy your trip anyway. You'll have to try Laong's & Moonlight and give feedback.

Also, eat a ravioli & cannolo for me in La Bocca :P

all the restaurants are having a hard time now, especially the high end ones.    I always give a place two chances, everyone can have a bad day

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 02:27, buckowski said:

“Nouvelle cuisine” was fashionable/snob in Europe more than forty years ago.

I never liked that shit.

• 1 year later...

Served from 12:00 to 2:30pm the Bruno's set luncheon at 450฿++ gives you a choice between four starters and four mains, followed by dessert and coffee or tea with biscuits, including an overflowing bread basket and appetiser.

Our selections:

- A tasty chorizo appetiser.

- Excellent fresh bread basket with good butter.

- Salmon carpaccio with fennel salad and an orange dressing (green pea soup with fresh cream equally delicious).

- Breaded chicken breast with tomato sauce and freshly grated Parmesan with spaghetti

- Banana and strawberry parfait

- Coffee and biscuits 

All that for 526.50฿? Superb value.

Don't eat out at lunchtime? The same set menu is available evenings for 100฿ more, 550฿++ (643.50฿), and still cracking value.

Easy access too. Just outside Jomtien on Thappraya heading up the hill towards Pattaya, on the 10฿ bus run.

3C832439-C281-44FF-97A8-19002F16BDBE.jpeg

566A6116-70E2-4B1D-8F44-9402F6FD4FB6.jpeg

98B8A908-00B9-4C98-A863-D1832886FE03.jpeg

0D86209C-BB31-438A-A87D-81C29F2AA4A2.jpeg

77B06CAC-271B-49DD-9158-008358287513.jpeg

23E597CC-90DD-429C-A4BF-BB171F95590E.jpeg

5ADE519F-63E2-47B2-A1A5-91DBAFD2CC65.jpeg

72B09869-68C3-4ECD-9A61-77D449342F48.jpeg

FCDCF30E-FECA-4EE0-9EDA-353AEC87E0F9.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Follow up visit, another recent review..

10 out of 10 for the Bruno's set lunch. In Bangkok, London, Singapore, wherever, you wouldn't be able to get a seat at twice the price. And in Bruno's there's a good 100 seats available in its classically luxurious fine dining setting. As it was, we ate virtually alone, bar one other table of two. 

What do you get for the total 526.50฿ (including tax/service)? Three attentively prepared, quality dishes, that's what. With plenty of warm bread and grissini breadsticks. A tasty amuse bouche (mini melon and ham on bread). A coffee, with petit-fours.

My julienne of grilled and marinated vegetables entree was excellent. Full of individual flavours, not overcooked. Pork medallions tender and tasty in a red wine jus with roast potato and al dente mixed vegetables. The fruit salad with its spicy sauce topped with a delicious pineapple sorbet, the perfect conclusion.

Full marks.

FB_IMG_1545273545231.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273548783.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273551511.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273557124.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273565959.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273560438.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273572310.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273554362.jpg

FB_IMG_1545273569052.jpg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

• 1 month later...

50351A92-40B5-43B6-AEA1-1CC41E343154.jpeg

:sad:

Archived