Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Books on reading and writing Thai

Upthebumnobaby

I am not interested in learning the sounds of words or letters. I want to get straight to the writing and reading. Do you guys have any recommendations for a book to learn from? Thanks.

There are many.

The Dictionary I found the most useful is called:

2 in 1 Dictionary, written by Andreas Schottenloher with the assistance of Bob Tremayne. 

• 2 weeks later...

You don't want to learn the sounds of words or letters?  You do want to learn to read though?  

No.

You will need to familiarise yourself with the alphabet at least.  Whether you choose to use the sounds or not is up to you, but them having sounds will probably make it easier for you to remember. 

You would then be able to read letter by letter from a page and know nothing of the vocabulary or grammar.  That's not reading.

The book I'm using at the minute is "complete thai" by David Smyth.  I'm only about 40 pages in to be honest so I'm certainly no expert and I don't expect this to be easy,  but it seems to be going well.  In the last 3 days I've memorised 27 letters and have started with the tone rules regarding live/dead syllables and mid/low class consonants. I'm sure it's going to get far more difficult, but I like a challenge and I'm sure being able to read is going to help a lot later on.

Many people learn to speak a bit of thai without ever learning to read and write. It's fine for a few phrases or basic conversation. 

It seems to me you want to read but not to understand?  That's a very strange goal.

I don't know what your aim is "upthebumnobaby",  I wish you luck though.  

Maybe once you have finished you can write a book to teach others how not to read thai.

I went down the route of prioritising reading and writing over speaking, it has many advantages.

1 hour ago, LaaMok said:

I went down the route of prioritising reading and writing over speaking, it has many advantages.

I told my teacher right away, I want to pick up bar girls, order food and give directions to a taxi, when I can do all that I can learn to read and write.  Never regretted it

Archived