IGNORED

Lottellee Winna in Khao Yai....golf mini-trip report

LOTTELLEE WINNA

Intro - Four times  a year my golfing crew (based around Udon and Khon Khaen) travel around LoS for a 4 day/3 course golfing jamboree. There can be up to 30 of us, but a better (more manageable number) is 12-16. This time the trip was to Khao Yai . Here is some info that golfer BMs might find useful.

The Place: Khao Yai National Park is the oldest and most famous in Thailand and covers an area of more than 2000 square km. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the kingdom; standing on a forest covered mountain plateau it comprises several hills and (mini mountains), two major rivers  and some spectacular waterfalls. It stretches into four different provinces; Nakhon Rachasima (Korat), Nakhon Nayok, Sara Buri and Prachin Buri, and is regarded as the gateway to the North East – Isaan. Driving time from Patts is about 3-4 hours; (driving south from Udon thani, it took us about 5-6 hours).

Image result for khao yai

Hotel/s and locality: Our group decided to split into two, with most of us staying at the Rimtarin Inn in Pak Chung and the others in the Sport Bar resort. The Rimtarinn was probably a very good hotel in it's day, but needs a little refurbishment. That said, it isn't bad at all and is certainly good enough for a bunch of lads on a golfing tour. The rooms are clean and the staff are great. The 'America Breakfast' is the standard fare you will find outside of the LoS tourist centres - eggs, cold meat, sausage and (WTF?) salad. Decent coffee and some toast too (B&B 800THB). Opposite the hotel (across 6 lanes of traffic), is a bar with some decent music and a family run Italian restaurant serving good grub. The sports bar, is out of town about 5k and has around 10 clean but basic rooms (resort style) and built around a pool (cost 600THB pn). The place is run very well by a young English lad called Marcus and his missus - the bar area has a pool table, big screen sports and a decent range of beers. The food is absolutely outstanding. The Sports Bar is an absolute 'must' for after golf eating and boozing.

Action: Like everywhere in LoS there is mongering to be had, but don't expect it to be too visible in Khao Yai. There is a Thai club which a couple of the younger guys visited in Pak Chong  (in Soi Toyota?). There are 'happy ending' massages near both the Rimtarinn and the sports bar (the massage near the Sport Bar also offers 'take-away orders' to send a girl to your room). The other option of course is the caddies - several lads banged them on this trip.

Khao Yai Golf Club: This is my favorite course in the entire Kingdom - situated between 2 valleys and in the mountains, it is nothing short of stunning. It sits on a 450 rai land parcel just outside the Khao Yai National Park (it used to be part of the park) There are some outstanding views over the surrounding hills from everywhere on the golf course, especially the back nine. The course is in terrific condition and is (I believe Jack Nicholas designed...it was at one time part of the Mission Hills brand). The clubhouse is a wooden building, but the showers and locker room is fine. Cost:1,400THB (inc buggy).

Image result for khao yai golf club

Rancho Charnvee is a Bob McFarland resort course is fun to play and caters to golfers of all abilities As with other Khao Yai courses, views are often stunning. The course itself is rather unspectacular (flat as a witch's tit), but is tricked up with bunkers and water and is in absolutely outstanding condition. The whole place is like a 5 star hotel and the green-keeping staff deserve a medal for presenting such a beautifully manicured course. Also should add that the caddies are by far the prettiest I have ever seen. Cost 1,600THB (inc buggy)

Image result for rancho charnvee golf club

The Panorama Golf and Country Club (formerly called 'The Voyage Panorama Golf Resort') is on the road back up north to Issan. The course which has been built partly through the local virgin forest and partly on a bluff overlooking the whole Khao Yai valley. This is a more 'natural' course than 'Rancho' and is very undulating. Be warned the greens are very quick. Also, if you have high handicappers/older golfers, best to play off the white tees - we played off the blues and a couple of our guys couldn't drive some of the 180-200 yard carries. Cost 1,250THB (inc buggy+free 100THB bar voucher).

Image result for panorama voyage golf club

Summary - Golf in Khao Yai, is affordable and quality Thai golf at it's very best.

Did you go to the funky pub down on the river like I told you to?

When you stayed at Rimtarinn?

27 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Did you go to the funky pub down on the river like I told you to?

When you stayed at Rimtarinn?

We crossed the river and went down on Sunday afternoon and it was closed....maybe it's only open evenings.

Caddies LW....I want pics of the caddies....in particular the ones who your mates had their wicked way with.

Great report btw.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

6 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

We crossed the river and went down on Sunday afternoon and it was closed....maybe it's only open evenings.

Bummer.

11 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

Bummer.

Yes, one of the lads had been there previously - his opinion was the same as yours.

Great report . Good to see Khao Yai Golf Club is getting back to its former glory. We always used to do a trip up there when it was originally Mission Hills, went back a couple of years ago & it was pretty ordinary. The course when in great shape is a really great course. Love the way you go between the mountain to play it. Sometimes seems like you are the only ones on the course.

First played Voyage Panorama when the pro shop , restaurant was a porta cabin. We where just driving along saw the sign & decided to go play it, as usual it was sign posted from about 40 ams out but was worth the drive. The green fees then where around 300 baht & they served Choc Chai steaks in the " restaurant ".

Agree with your thoughts on Rancho Charnvee. Love the restaurant there & that trawler they got in the lake outside is certainly different. 

Last time up stayed at Rimtarrinn as well. Liked the small bar & restaurant that is in the garden next to the river, used to head down there with wine & cheese and have a few laughs.

Again great TR & thanks for posting has wetted the appetite for another run up that way 

I also had a trip similar to yours, enjoyed the location, hotel and golf just as you have described, would recommend this area to any others looking for a golfing trip.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the report! I have been playing golf in Pattaya for years now but have never made my way up to Khao Yai. After reading this I think a road trip with the lads and golf clubs is in order. I must check out these courses... Cheers

I'm absolutely shit at golf but I might just go up to that Khao Yai Golf Club just to whack a few balls off the tees and drive round in a golf buggy and take in the views. Looks great!

What happened to the pictures of the caddies?

Did you intentionally omit them?  :D

Courses are beautiful.

Archived