IGNORED

passports

whistlerone

hi planning my first overseas trip for end of june and not sure if i read correctly somewhere that hotels in pattaya take your passport on arrival and return them to you on departure hopefully thats not the case as it seems a little risky to me.thx in advance for advice

Sometimes, they take your passport and make a copy then give it back.

Most will take a photocopy, never heard of any keeping it til check out....

As the others say they take your passport Photocopy/take info off it and give it back. Then get yourself a copy of the main page & visa to carry around if you want. Then stick it in your safe. 

The hotels take a photo copy your passport. They don't keep your passport. You can also ask them to make a photo copy for you to carry. You need to show either a passport or photocopy for both money exchange booths & sims card for your phone.

I always carry a copy of my passport & arrival card with me. And keep my passport locked in the safe.

thx for responses,was told never to let anyone keep my passport,but was sure i had seen a youtube clip where guy nearly missed his flight because he forgot to collect his passport from hotel reception.anyway my mind is more at ease now

if you give someone your passport to hold and its not immigration, you are asking for trouble.   if you are afraid someone will keep it make your own copies

1 minute ago, just hanging said:

if you give someone your passport to hold and its not immigration, you are asking for trouble.   if you are afraid someone will keep it make your own copies

Letting the hotel have a copy is not a problem for me but

I have always been leery about the idea of having to give up your passport in order to rent a scooter there.

It seems they all require it.  Anyone know of a scooter rental place that does not?

6 minutes ago, j_d66 said:

I have always been leery about the idea of having to give up your passport in order to rent a scooter there.

It seems they all require it.  Anyone know of a scooter rental place that does not?

Get a photo copy of your passport ID page and visa stamp made in a Kodak shop. Loads of them in Pattaya I used one in Pattaya tai next to Tukcom. They accept that. 

The last thing you need in Pattaya is a scooter anyway. It's pointless unless you fancy a drunken accident. 

A few moto taxis and a couple of baht busses around Pattaya a day will cost less then renting a moped.

The only place I felt it was worth the money to rent one was on Koh Phangan where taxis ad baht busses can cost 3-400 bhat just to get from some places on the island to Haad Rin.

Again it's pointless to rent one in Pattaya 

13 minutes ago, j_d66 said:

if you give it up to a motorcycle shop your crazy, walk or crawl would be better.   I doubt many keep it, but for sure Mai Pang motorcycle rentals in Jomtien complex will not keep it and will give you your deposit back

3 minutes ago, QUIM_SLAYER said:

Get a photo copy of your passport ID page and Visa stamp made in a Kodak shop. Loads of them in Pattaya I used one in Pattaya tai next to Tukcom. They accept that. 

The last thing you need in Pattaya is a scooter anyway. It's pointless unless you fancy a drunken accident. 

A few moto taxis and a couple of baht busses around Pattaya a day will cost less then renting a moped.

The only place I felt it was worth the money to rent one was on Koh Phangan where taxis ad baht busses can cost 3-400 bhat just to get from some places on the island to Haad Rin.

Again it's pointless to rent one in Pattaya 

1 minute ago, just hanging said:

if you give it up to a motorcycle shop your crazy, walk or crawl would be better.   I doubt many keep it, but for sure Mai Pang motorcycle rentals in Jomtien complex will not keep it and will give you your deposit back

Right that's precisely why I don't want to give my passport up to anyone.

I don't really wan't to rent a scooter in Pattaya.  I was more inquiring about it to see if it really is a normal thing to have to do it in order to rent a scooter.

I would like to rent one when I am in Phuket though in order to easily get to the really nice beaches.  I don't really want to have to hire a driver to tag along for that as I want to do it on my own terms.

One time I talked a FL into taking me around to some of the best beaches around Phuket and it was an awesome day.

Thanks for the info

You can't even change money without your passport now so staying somewhere that did this would be a non starter.

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

I have not heard of hotel keeping your passport. You don't want to let them do that.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

No hotels will keep your passport, they will take a photocopy.

5 hours ago, padfoot said:

I have not heard of hotel keeping your passport. You don't want to let them do that.

23 minutes ago, logboy said:

No hotels will keep your passport, they will take a photocopy.

Perhaps I should clarify.  I don't have a problem with the hotels taking a copy of my passport but I would never let them keep it.

The 24  hotel on Sukhumvit in Bangkok want a 2000 baht deposit for any damages etc,I didn't want to be stuck with 2000 when I checked out and went to the airport so she accepted my passport instead, that's the only time I have had to do it.

On 2017-6-14 at 4:40 AM, whistlerone said:

thx for responses,was told never to let anyone keep my passport,but was sure i had seen a youtube clip where guy nearly missed his flight because he forgot to collect his passport from hotel reception.anyway my mind is more at ease now

If its the clip I've seen, it was a hotel in Vietnam.

22 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

No hotel keeps your passport. 

Exactly,I've had 18 trips and never happened.

Robw

I always ask anyone checking into my place for their passport so I can make a photocopy of it along with the entry stamp and (supposed) exit date. Never would I consider keeping it.

ER

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

On 14/06/2017 at 1:59 PM, j_d66 said:

I have rented many Scooters and never given them my passport to keep. Some like to take a photocopy of it, or of your driving licence and 1,000 baht deposit, which you get back when you return the bike.

No hotel has ever kept my passport, just made a photocopy of it.

I would never let anyone keep my passport.

Archived