Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
slashlarue

Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Recommended Posts

slashlarue

Has anyone stayed at the Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach? I'll be staying for 3-4 nights and line to know about the place. One is how far a ride is it to the main attractions? Thanks in advance.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hktmb-phuket-marriott-resort-and-spa-merlin-beach/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
j_d66

it is about 15-20 minutes from the action.  The main area of bars is Bangla Road

Looks like they have a shuttle bus for 100 baht but it stops running a little after 9pm.  That's about the time the action gets going there.

No way you will get a taxi in Patong for 100 baht.  They are a big time taxi mafia and will rip you off whenever the can

As far as the resort goes I am sure it is nice since it is listed as being 5 star.

Not sure but my guess is they are not guest friendly so you could potentially have some trouble taking a girl back there with you unless you are planning to bring sand to this beach.

Unless I know for sure they are guest friendly I will always email the hotel directly and ask them if they charge a joiner fee.  

Much better to know the policy prior to bringing a girl back and finding out you have to pay extra for her to come to your room or possibly not be allowed at all

Some of these places are so big it can be hard for them to monitor it though.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matrix123

So far, no 5 star hotel in Patong is girlfriendly. OP, if you are going to stay there and bring girls back to your room, please let us know how much they are going to charge you for joiner or they even let you bring girls back.

I have stayed in Byd Loft (may be the only 4 star girlfriendly hotel in Patong). It is about 3 to 4 minutes ride to Bangla street. A couple years ago, hotel charged me 200 THB. Took tuk tuk back to hotel in early morning. Same price! Marriott is about two or may be three times longer ride. Be prepare to pay more!

 

Edited by matrix123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue
11 hours ago, j_d66 said:

it is about 15-20 minutes from the action.  The main area of bars is Bangla Road

Looks like they have a shuttle bus for 100 baht but it stops running a little after 9pm.  That's about the time the action gets going there.

No way you will get a taxi in Patong for 100 baht.  They are a big time taxi mafia and will rip you off whenever the can

As far as the resort goes I am sure it is nice since it is listed as being 5 star.

Not sure but my guess is they are not guest friendly so you could potentially have some trouble taking a girl back there with you unless you are planning to bring sand to this beach.

Unless I know for sure they are guest friendly I will always email the hotel directly and ask them if they charge a joiner fee.  

Much better to know the policy prior to bringing a girl back and finding out you have to pay extra for her to come to your room or possibly not be allowed at all

Some of these places are so big it can be hard for them to monitor it though.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks.

11 hours ago, matrix123 said:

So far, no 5 star hotel in Patong is girlfriendly. OP, if you are going to stay there and bring girls back to your room, please let us know how much they are going to charge you for joiner or they even let you bring girls back.

I have stayed in Byd Loft (may be the only 4 star girlfriendly hotel in Patong). It is about 3 to 4 minutes ride to Bangla street. A couple years ago, hotel charged me 200 THB. Took tuk tuk back to hotel in early morning. Same price! Marriott is about two or may be three times longer ride. Be prepare to pay more!

 

Thanks guys for the info. I'll be there in 2 weeks and was looking for a nice(r) hotel. I am bringing "someone" with me so I'm listing 2 guest at booking. The taxi info was what was most concerning to me. I think being that she is Thai maybe I will get slightly less ripped off? I wanted to go to Phuket the last few times I was there but never made it. Sorry I may not be of any help on the girlfriendly issue, but I'll ask.

Edited by slashlarue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
j_d66
9 hours ago, slashlarue said:

 

Thanks guys for the info. I'll be there in 2 weeks and was looking for a nice(r) hotel. I am bringing "someone" with me so I'm listing 2 guest at booking. The taxi info was what was most concerning to me. I think being that she is Thai maybe I will get slightly less ripped off? I wanted to go to Phuket the last few times I was there but never made it. Sorry I may not be of any help on the girlfriendly issue, but I'll ask.

If she is your registered guest when you check in than there shouldn't be an issue it's just when you try to bring them back after the fact that it can be a problem

The girlfriend will likely have better luck with the taxi

I normally let the girl negotiate the taxi fare because they know what it should cost and rarely do they try to rip them off

Just get the price up front before you get into the cab.

If they try to change it when you get there simple pay them the agreed upon amount and get out of the taxi and walk away.

Most are not gonna make change so have the correct fare

They have regular taxis there but this is what most of them in Patong Beach look like so they can't really lock you in one of them.

 

image-69395.jpeg

image-69434.jpeg

Just ask at the resort what a normal taxi fare should cost so you know if they are trying to take advantage

The thing is I have never had an issue with any taxi driver taking me to or from the airport only around patong beach and it doesn't happen every time.

I think you will enjoy Phuket there are lot's of bars there and some terrific beaches in the area

 

 

 

Also consider a trip to see Big Buddah. It is well worth it

 

image-69848.jpeg

 

 

Edited by j_d66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue

I hope she would be able to and she has been good with things like that. Those taxi's look nicer than a baht bus but of course more expensive. I will ask if she wants to go to the Big Buddha as I'd like to see it also. I'll send some photos of the place when I'm there/get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue

Well it is the second night here and it is really nice place for the money. I think you are right that BG's are not welcome as I did not see "any" Farang here with a TG except me. It is mostly tourists with families and Farang/ other Asian couples. Great rooms and beach. The only downside is the ride from Patong to here. You have  to go over a high hills and corkscrew up and down the hills. Great view from the top and when you are going down to Patong. If I come back her I'd stay on the Patong side or in town. They taxis wanted 4 to 500 but my TG got him down to 300! Maybe that was his price all along??? I must say that Phuket is no Pattaya in terms of the amount of bars and the Walking Street here is only about (IMHO) 1/4 the atmosphere/thrill even though it is my first time here. Overall I like it better than Pattaya I think if I had to live here.

88497463-6EC7-4C7A-8C05-8ED5E6A0F127.JPG

2B9032E5-EDDD-4131-8A93-922A3E3697C0.JPG

42F7F901-E66F-4AC9-AD56-57E937FC1086.JPG

ADFEFFB1-97A4-4CA7-B4F6-21E0DE125858.JPG

74FE8CE4-4D38-45A1-96BB-B8138E8D8282.JPG

E23A15F5-E980-4E1F-A8FA-E66CFBC5F8E8.JPG

46E7C400-DFB0-498C-8315-7CB6335300C0.JPG

2AD8C3C9-FB4E-408C-961F-4345A19C485C.JPG

38F6FE41-A827-45B1-BC45-0573C05260BD.JPG

F8E8A2E8-0D78-4930-8C6F-807398CC24A0.JPG

710B5025-C269-4DCD-A81C-C0A2B8F70C9F.JPG

Edited by slashlarue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matrix123

Very nice hotel! Any photo of your room? 300 THB for a ride back from Patong is not bad when most people (farang) pay 200 THB for a few minutes ride!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue
16 hours ago, matrix123 said:

Very nice hotel! Any photo of your room? 300 THB for a ride back from Patong is not bad when most people (farang) pay 200 THB for a few minutes ride!

My room? I'll take some but it's messy now! I'm on the first floor looking out on to the Ocean, if somewhat an obstructed view. 300 THB, yes she does a little squabbling with the taxi guys. We even walked away from a group over by the Haggendas store because he (guy with the walkie-talkie) wouldn't budge off of 200 for a ride down the street ways. So we came upon a new group and 100 was good. The only downside with this as with all hotels is the price of the food and drinks. We ate at the Savoy restaurant on (is it beach road?) and the price for dinner was less than lunch at the hotel, including beers. Again Phuket is nice but doesn't hold a candle to Pattaya for "the action."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue
On 6/22/2017 at 10:13, matrix123 said:

Very nice hotel! Any photo of your room? 300 THB for a ride back from Patong is not bad when most people (farang) pay 200 THB for a few minutes ride!

If it still matters here is one. I forgot about this thread, sorry. I used points here and it is rated a class 5 or 6 hotel on the “Marriott” scale so it is 30,000 points per night. I don’t think it is worth the points verse the price which is approximately $120.00 USC. I like to use the points at class 4 hotels hotels as they are usually 10 to 12 thousand points per night and usually a Courtyard hotel. So for about 40-45 thousand points you can get 5 days out of that because with Marriott if you book 4 nights with points they give you the 5 night free.

5B4F3D7F-863A-4555-9F24-B7738F41BE27.jpeg

Edited by slashlarue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stillearly

Deleted 

Edited by Stillearly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue

Thanks for whenever I get back. I brought a TG when I checked in no problem with that but I don’t know what the policy would be with BG in tow? And as I said I didn’t see any other Farangs with a TG at this hotel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matrix123
2 hours ago, slashlarue said:

If it still matters here is one. I forgot about this thread, sorry. I used points here and it is rated a class 5 or 6 Hotel on the “Marriott” scale so it is 30,000 points per night. I don’t think it is worth the points verse the price which is approximately $120.00 USC. I like to use the points at class 4 hotels hotels as they are usually 10 to 12 thousand points per night and usually a Courtyard Hotel. So for about 40-45 thousand points you can get 5 days out of that because with Marriott if you book 4 nights with points they give you the 5 night free.

5B4F3D7F-863A-4555-9F24-B7738F41BE27.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the info and pictures. The room seems similar with the old Marriott (Now Avani) in Pattaya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue

Too bad they property owner of the Courtyard on south second road in Pattaya reverted back to the "Signature" name. I stayed twice there for free last year with my built up points. Now there is no Marriott name in Pattaya. My only option is try to switch the points to my Starwood Sheraton account (they are now joint accounts) and book with them. The problem is I think the Sheraton is much more expensive than a Courtyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matrix123
6 hours ago, slashlarue said:

Too bad they property owner of the Courtyard on south second road in Pattaya reverted back to the "Signature" name. I stayed twice there for free last year with my built up points. Now there is no Marriott name in Pattaya. My only option is try to switch the points to my Starwood Sheraton account (they are now joint accounts) and book with them. The problem is I think the Sheraton is much more expensive than a Courtyard.

Don't switch your points! If your are talking about the Sheraton in Pattaya, it became Intercontinental for at least half year.

Edited by matrix123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue
2 hours ago, matrix123 said:

Don't switch your points! If your are talking about the Sheraton in Pattaya, it became Intercontinental for at least half year.

Boy they keep heading me off at the pass! I guess the rich land owner really want everything for themselves. The only brand name left I guess is the Hilton but that is way too expensive for a hotel in Pattaya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Candy77
6 hours ago, slashlarue said:

Boy they keep heading me off at the pass! I guess the rich land owner really want everything for themselves. The only brand name left I guess is the Hilton but that is way too expensive for a hotel in Pattaya.

Reason I switched to IHG for all my business trips now. The Holiday Inn in Pattaya is good I hear and girl friendly. Staying there next trip and if all good then maybe every other trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slashlarue
3 hours ago, Candy77 said:

Reason I switched to IHG for all my business trips now. The Holiday Inn in Pattaya is good I hear and girl friendly. Staying there next trip and if all good then maybe every other trip.

I stayed in the hotel below in 1990 and as crazy as it seems I cannot remember what hotel it was. I booked through a travel agent and had no way to research it back then (no internet). Does the pool look familiar? I tried looking on Agoda but no luck. I just have the pool and view out toward second road. I also stuck a 110 volt hair dryer in a 220 receptacle at the hotel. The dryer became a flame thrower. Funny now not then. Oh, the hotel was on Beach Road so that is the only reason I thought maybe it was the Holiday Inn?

Pattaya 9G_zpssz8szyar.JPG

Pattaya 9L_zpsafiavrha.JPG

Edited by slashlarue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
saffer

I have a stay tentatively booked in this location. Hoping my girlfriend and I can pick up a girl and bring her back with us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.