Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

A bit of advice required

Kim Jong Il

I'm planning to come to Pattaya for 5 months beginning November.

I know central Pattaya reasonably but I'm thinking it might be a bit 'much' to stay for so long.

I've never been to Jomtien, or Pratamnuk for that matter, so I was wondering is it really deadly quiet or just a bit more laid back not in your face so much as Pattaya.

What about places to stay for this length of time....what's okay and what to avoid.

23 hours ago, Kim Jong Il said:

I'm planning to come to Pattaya for 5 months beginning November.

I know central Pattaya reasonably but I'm thinking it might be a bit 'much' to stay for so long.

I've never been to Jomtien, or Pratamnuk for that matter, so I was wondering is it really deadly quiet or just a bit more laid back not in your face so much as Pattaya.

What about places to stay for this length of time....what's okay and what to avoid.

I would say definitely more laid back. Lots of places to stay for that length of time. I would look to rent a condo and there are a lot of them available. For a first stay in Jomtien you might want to consider View Tallay 2 through Dancewatchers. Very convenient location with a short walk to the baht bus route. You can be in Patts (Walking Street) in 15 minutes. Jomtien Beach Road and Rompho also easily accessible. Some really great restaurants in the area. 

I believe Dancewatchers is a sight sponsor, so it is ok that I post their link here.

http://dancewatchers.com/VT2A_Jomtien_Nightly_Condo_Rentals_Menu_page_1.html

In addition to this, Davidge has done some excellent condo reviews concerning the Jomtien area. You may want to take a look at those.

I did an outline of Jomtien here:

Lots of condos at various prices. What sort of budget did you have in mind?

Some very good deals around now.

I'd suggest staying on Thappraya, around the arch or the first section of Beach Road as it's easier for transport. If you're happy using mototaxis or riding a scooter then there are many options inland of second road.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, davidge said:

I did an outline of Jomtien here:

Lots of condos at various prices. What sort of budget did you have in mind?

Some very good deals around now.

I'd suggest staying on Thappraya, around the arch or the first section of Beach Road as it's easier for transport. If you're happy using mototaxis or riding a scooter then there are many options inland of second road.

I don't drink so I will rent a scooter. To be honest I don't think I would be making daily trips into Pattaya.

As for budget I'm pretty flexible....expecting to pay between 10 and 25K baht depending on location and how lucky I am!

You can get small studios off second road for 8-10000 a month.

Plenty of choice of larger 1-bed for 12-18000 in many areas.

For 25k you'd get at least a studio in pretty much any building you want.

Have a look at VT7, The Gallery & View Talay Residence for starters.

As Chi said, VT2 is a pretty good location and you'd get a 1-bed comfortably within your budget.

^^^^^^

Thanks for that, just got to try and figure which are the best buildings now. Something modern ish with a balcony that gets the afternoon sun, quiet and preferably not overlooked.

Loads of condos. Quieter the further down Jomtien you go.

Look for something on/near beach road.

VT7, VT5C.

VT8 if you want VERY quiet. Building pretty much empty and 48sq m studio for about 10k. A bit too far down Jomtien for me.

One last thing, IMO. You are looking to book a very long stay (5 months) across high season. I would not wait too long on pulling the trigger, as places will start to book up. You may have to, or even want to, book a few different places to accommodate the schedule of what is available.

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

One last thing, IMO. You are looking to book a very long stay (5 months) across high season. I would not wait too long on pulling the trigger, as places will start to book up. You may have to, or even want to, book a few different places to accommodate the schedule of what is available.

This one thing that bothers me. Because I've not been there its quite a risk booking for a long period and ending up somewhere I don't like and then finding I've got no options because its peak time. Nothing in life easy 555.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:08 AM, Kim Jong Il said:

This one thing that bothers me. Because I've not been there its quite a risk booking for a long period and ending up somewhere I don't like and then finding I've got no options because its peak time. Nothing in life easy 555.

My suggestion is book 3 different places. I would start out with one month in VT2. That will get you their best rate and I can say that it does not suck. You may have a problem getting a one bedroom for your stated price during high season. The location is great and you will have easy access to your start up activities (renting a bike etc.).

You can then also book one month more at another place just to check it out. You can probably get away with finding your preferred location during the first two months and booking that for the remainder. Or maybe you have to move a couple of more times, but really even at 5 months I doubt a move will be that cumbersome.

btw - have you checked out your various visa options?

^^^^^^^

Yes, I was thinking along lines myself. I'm pretty flexible about dates and places to stay.

I will probably apply for a 6 month multiple entry visa and if I enjoy it I may well apply for a retirement visa.

As you don't know Jomtien then not committing long term immediately is a good idea. It does mean the rent is likely to be higher than for a 6-month rent and it will reduce the number of options. A lot of owners, and especially agents (lazy buggers), will only rent out long term.

So, for example, in VT2A/2B there would be several 1-bed available in your price range for long term rental but fewer for just 1 month.

As for visa, I assume you are aware that the Multiple Entry visa will only allow you to stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days each visit? 60 days initially that can be extended for another 30 at immigration in Jomtien. You'd then need to leave the country for a few days before re-entering.

^^^^^^^

Yes davidge, I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and accept that I'll be paying a bit more this trip or take a chance and book something for maybe 3 months and see how I get on, but at least I'll have things sussed out for next time. I think if I book something for Nov., Dec and Jan then I should have more options for Feb and March as the high season is pretty much over.

5 months in Pattaya-Jomtien

You could travel the whole of Thailand, and add Vietnam and Cambodia in that time.... 

Jomtien is fine though.  I wouldn't stay further down that Jomtien Soi 7 though.

There is another similar topic about, go see where that got to.

Still think you should mix up a trip that long.....  travel in Asia is cheap.

That is why it's best to check out locations a trip ahead.

Personally i would choose Pratamak over Jomtien, it's half way between Central and Jomtien, easy to get the baht bus in either directions. Some girls may not want to go all the way back to Jomtien certainly for a ST anyway.

Pratumnak doesn't have baht bus routes - except the Jomtien route on Thappraya that most Pratumnak condos are well away from. You need to use mototaxis or grab/Uber if you stay there.

As the OP is likely to hire a scooter, and doesn't drink, then Pratumnak could be an option.

I'm still not a fan though :P

I can suggest the Axis on Theppraya located in the middle of them both and bang on the bus route.

Pratumnak doesn't have baht bus routes - except the Jomtien route on Thappraya that most Pratumnak condos are well away from. You need to use mototaxis or grab/Uber if you stay there.

As the OP is likely to hire a scooter, and doesn't drink, then Pratumnak could be an option.

I'm still not a fan though [emoji14]

For closest access to the baht bus to/from Central/Jomtien you need to pick a place close to Thappraya. I would aim for Soi 6 Thappraya end. But even if on Soi 4 its only a 15/20 min fast walk to the bus which I've done loads of times, but no chance a girl will do that in heals.

Axis is a good suggestion above depending on price

I agree for a short term 5 months but if you want to be in a good location you can even walk into Jomtien if you have Desire.

Theres a lot empty so probably negotiable.

Walk into Jomtien? FFS! Do you own condos there you're trying to rent out or something? Bloody awful location. Right on very busy road. Little near it.

Thanks for all the feed back guys, very much appreciated. 

I must admit I'm starting to veer towards one the VT buildings, 2, 5 and 7 look to be in decent locations. I saw a couple for rent in VT3 as well but this building doesn't seem to get mentioned in a any of the 'to rent' threads so a little bit wary.

http://www.view-talay-condos.net/index.php?option=com_iproperty&view=cat&id=22&hotsheet=&Itemid=293

2 hours ago, LRanger said:

5 months in Pattaya-Jomtien

You could travel the whole of Thailand, and add Vietnam and Cambodia in that time.... 

Jomtien is fine though.  I wouldn't stay further down that Jomtien Soi 7 though.

There is another similar topic about, go see where that got to.

Still think you should mix up a trip that long.....  travel in Asia is cheap.

I would agree wth this....maybe make a ne month commitment and figure the rest of the trip out as you go...Life changes so much as you relocate. 

^^^^^^^^

I do intend to travel a bit while I'm there. Whatever I rent in Jomtiem will be just a base at times so I have somewhere to leave stuff....golf clubs and stuff you don't want to lug around. I'm thinking 3 or 4 week long jaunts to other places. 

If it was low season it wouldn't be so much of problem but I don't want to end up stuck with nothing available in December and January.

Archived