IGNORED

Other GCC Countries 'blockading' Qatar

davidge

I've put this in the Transportation section as I do NOT intend it as a political post, I'm just making people aware in case there's a knock-on effect on International flights.

Saudi, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt & Yemen have cut off diplomatic ties with Qatar, banned shipping and also banned all flights to/from Qatar from those countries.

Impossible to know how long this will last or how it will develop.

It could have an effect on Qatar flights if they're not allowed into the airspace of those countries?

Something to keep an eye on.

Edit: UAE just released this statement:

http://m.thenational.ae/world/middle-east/uae-ministry-of-foreign-affairs-on-cutting-qatar-ties-statement

So, Qatar is banned from airspace.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point you make I only heard about this today on the news and was contemplating for the first time flying from Manchester to BKK via Doha with Qatar in December, I usually fly direct if I can get a reasonable price from Heathrow but Purple parking have doubled their parking charges. so with the difference in airfare and parking is about £190.

As you can see from the map, it would mean slight rerouting for Qatar flights to both LHR and BKK. They both usually fly just over Saudi & UAE flightspace respectively.

IMG_6961.thumb.JPG.71ee7d9ea24a8e36bcbc4f5caef16e2c.JPG

I think Qatar go over Turkey, and down Iran anyway, and thereby missing Iraq and Syria .. so cant see it making much difference to flights from UK .. ?  

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I think Qatar go over Turkey, and down Iran anyway, and thereby missing Iraq and Syria .. so cant see it making much difference to flights from UK .. ?  

That is correct. Flights to central/northern/western Europe go over Iran/Turkey. It seems like flights from/to southern Europe go over Saudi Arabia though.

Another issue is that the flight from DOH-BKK normally goes over UAE. Avoiding that will probably add 20-30 minutes of flight time or so.

This have no effect on qatar flight for non GCC person. Everybody fly over Iran.

All carrier say not fly to Doha now, but not word yet if Qatar still have flight from Doha to Dubai, Riyadh, etc. This possible, as people still need travel Qatar.

Qatar flight to Africa have problem now because can not use Saudi path.

They call me ROBINHOOD, captain TEAM FARANG!

IMG_6962.thumb.PNG.a05a989b5d975b187a775c0c3e625786.PNGIMG_6963.thumb.PNG.29d05e2c7e39a9504f235d2e4d9549f4.PNG

As I said, LHR-DOH flights fly over Saudi (and Bahrain ) airspace. Only a slight detour needed but still likely to add time.

DOH-BKK flights go over UAE airspace so again a slight detour needed.

1 minute ago, jorgethepussylover said:

This have no effect on qatar flight for non GCC person. Everybody fly over Iran.

All carrier say not fly to Doha now, but not word yet if Qatar still have flight from Doha to Dubai, Riyadh, etc. This possible, as people still need travel Qatar.

Qatar flight to Africa have problem now because can not use Saudi path.

The link I posted from UAE, and other countries statements, have clearly stated that ALL Qatar flights are banned not only from flying there but also from using their airspace. No nationals of those countries are allowed to travel to Qatar, no Qataris are allowed to visit the countries & all diplomatic ties will be broken off.

17 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Yes certainly to the UK they fly over Iran same as Emirates. Bit of a shock not heard of any of this before. They will have to change flights to Bangkok as at present they fly over UAE so will have to fly north. 

Whoa

4 Arab nations cut diplomatic ties to Qatar as rift deepens (from @AP) https://apnews.com/8257ce650e224188a1884e34eabb5e90

Just flew Qatar airways yesterday back to the states. Love flying them. But geopolitical tensions could affect upcoming flights.

Once before Qatar rebooked me on an Emirates flight because they are partners. Makes me wonder if this kind of partnership is also affected.

Hope this is temporary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, davidge said:

The link I posted from UAE, and other countries statements, have clearly stated that ALL Qatar flights are banned not only from flying there but also from using their airspace. No nationals of those countries are allowed to travel to Qatar, no Qataris are allowed to visit the countries & all diplomatic ties will be broken off.

Your link not 1 time mention Qatar Airway. I live GCC. Only saudi make press release say Qatar Airway banned. All other country say, no decision made yet. All say their own airline not fly to Doha, but all say no decision on QA at time now.

Also can still go on internet and make book for flight from Doha -Dubai but you use CAPITAL LETTER and YELL TO ME, so you right, I not right. This not mean you not be right in 2 hour, but til time now, no announcement on QA be made.

3 minutes ago, jorgethepussylover said:

Your link not 1 time mention Qatar Airway. I live GCC. Only saudi make press release say Qatar Airway banned. All other country say, no decision made yet. All say their own airline not fly to Doha, but all say no decision on QA at time now.

Also can still go on internet and make book for flight from Doha -Dubai but you use CAPITAL LETTER and YELL TO ME, so you right, I not right. This not mean you not be right in 2 hour, but til time now, no announcement on QA be made.

It was emphasis not yelling!

I'm sorry you can't understand the statements put out. Here's the relevant section from the UAE statement in the link I posted earlier:

"Closure of UAE airspace and seaports for all Qataris in 24 hours and banning all Qatari means of transportation, coming to or leaving the UAE, from crossing, entering or leaving the UAE territories, and taking all legal measures in collaboration with friendly countries and international companies with regards to Qataris using the UAE airspace and territorial waters, from and to Qatar, for national security considerations."

It is very clear.

16 minutes ago, strawberrypi said:

This is the route flight QR2 from LHR to DOH took yesterday:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qr2#d9f6853

Note that it does not go over Saudi.

Apolgies. I used a website showing 'normal' quickest routes and I'd forgotten about changes to avoid Iraq that have been made.

11 minutes ago, Dmon81 said:

Whoa

4 Arab nations cut diplomatic ties to Qatar as rift deepens (from @AP) https://apnews.com/8257ce650e224188a1884e34eabb5e90

Just flew Qatar airways yesterday back to the states. Love flying them. But geopolitical tensions could affect upcoming flights.

Once before Qatar rebooked me on an Emirates flight because they are partners. Makes me wonder if this kind of partnership is also affected.

Hope this is temporary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think this might affect flights from the UK to Thailand?

8 minutes ago, davidge said:

It was emphasis not yelling!

I'm sorry you can't understand the statements put out. Here's the relevant section from the UAE statement in the link I posted earlier:

"Closure of UAE airspace and seaports for all Qataris in 24 hours and banning all Qatari means of transportation, coming to or leaving the UAE, from crossing, entering or leaving the UAE territories, and taking all legal measures in collaboration with friendly countries and international companies with regards to Qataris using the UAE airspace and territorial waters, from and to Qatar, for national security considerations."

It is very clear.

Clear except all country except Saudi make announcement say no decision yet made for Qatar Airway. Sorry you not to accept possible you wrong one time sometime. 

A better map showing airspace (as sea is included in a country's airspace):

IMG_6964.thumb.JPG.45dc9f4554e3c4857319fa2a9ecdae9d.JPG

Not sure on the legality of this the the Chicago Agreement from 1944 allows commercial aircraft to fly through foreign airspace.

2 hours ago, geezerrb said:

Good point you make I only heard about this today on the news and was contemplating for the first time flying from Manchester to BKK via Doha with Qatar in December, I usually fly direct if I can get a reasonable price from Heathrow but Purple parking have doubled their parking charges. so with the difference in airfare and parking is about £190.

It should be settled by December but you never know as we live in interesting times!

They had a spat a couple of years ago and diplomatic relations were broken off but it didn't go as far as a travel ban.

Could cause some logistics problems for the US Bahrain is base for the 5th Fleet and and that is under Command of Central Command based in Qater.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4572808/Qatar-slams-five-nations-decisions-cut-diplomatic-ties.html

I wouldn't want to be holding an expensive qatar plane ticket far in advance , they will take a big hit from this.    

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

2 hours ago, davidge said:

Apolgies. I used a website showing 'normal' quickest routes and I'd forgotten about changes to avoid Iraq that have been made.

No worries.

A technical note though: You used some website that shows the shortest possible path between point A and B. That is not how civil aviation works. They fly in designated air ways (separated by height from ground). For more details, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airway_(aviation) 

I am flying tomorrow  BHX- DOH - BKK  with Qatar 

55 min stop over in DOH so it looks like i am fucked

1 minute ago, dddd said:

Should not be a proplem BHX-DOH will not fly over their airspace DOH - BKK might have to do a slight detour.

5 minutes ago, dddd said:

You may be OK. Meant to be starting in 48 hours.

Supermarket shelves in Qatar already empty as everyone panic-buys.

Archived