Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Golf driving range for newbies

wogggy

Can someone recommend a good driving range for the total noob. 

Will need coaching too.

I will be staying in central patts but will have motorcy

2 Driving Ranges on 3rd Road toward Pattaya Nua One on the Left and one on the Right..Both good and give instructions...Across from Macro on Sumkumvet is Greenway Driving Range..It to is Good with instructors to help you...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

On 5/15/2017 at 10:47 AM, Lok Jit said:

2 Driving Ranges on 3rd Road toward Pattaya Nua One on the Left and one on the Right..Both good and give instructions...Across from Macro on Sumkumvet is Greenway Driving Range..It to is Good with instructors to help you...

Greenways - do they have other instructors now as TPR who were upstairs have moved out and Tyrone only teaches at Siam now? 

3rd Road - do you mean Diana range for the one on the right - if so it is about 1km off 3rd Road.

Going north on 3rd Road past Klang, past the next traffic lights and there is a sort of crossroads where the 3rd road range is on the left (and where the PSC offices are). Turn right at this junction and keep on that road in the direction of Sukhumvit until you see the entrance to the Diana range on the right.

• 2 months later...

got back from 7 months Aus 2 days ago. everything same same!! almost...

Greenway balls up to 40 baht shock horror. most of the regulars still there and swings all look the same as before. that conman has gone from upstairs as mentioned replaced by another munchkin from Switzerland the home of golf.

the problem with being a learner is you have no idea that the guy you are paying is hopeless and knows bugger all about the golf swing or how to get you to do it.

i played so bad in Aus, handicap going up to 5/6, completely swing confused and putting yips.

so started new swing work 2 days ago, based on the modern-old TGM (The Golfing Machine) ideas and feels i have had in the past. Its going quite well, i have hope!

Completely different swing to me though Terry says it looks the same.

there are 2 basic ways to "swing" a golf club.

1. Throw. swing through releasing hands , arms crossing over,  you have to lean backwards to enable this (increase secondary tilt).

2. Rotation Hit. Body rotation moves the club back to the ball, you do not swing the club or force a release, you do hit the ball at the right time.

the second is what i have always wanted to do but never found it for long.

for me the problem has been the take-away, a new take-away makes it possible and easier.

i've been to so many name teachers and no name teachers over the years (35 of them) and they are all hopeless, you have to work it out yourself with selective knowledge from good sources, the internet nowadays is a blessing and a curse.

haven't seen Anders at Greenway yet, he was so funny and serious in the Swedish way, every day he arrived with a new swing theory from the internet. hope he hasn't injured himself.

my hands are soft from no practice and a funny thing has happened, my "Hogan Power Point", the first pad on your right index finger, is getting very sore, never had that before, must be a good sign!!

i can't quit coz its better than sex when done well.........

On 8/12/2017 at 9:21 AM, Grumbler said:

got back from 7 months Aus 2 days ago. everything same same!! almost...

Greenway balls up to 40 baht shock horror. most of the regulars still there and swings all look the same as before. that conman has gone from upstairs as mentioned replaced by another munchkin from Switzerland the home of golf.

the problem with being a learner is you have no idea that the guy you are paying is hopeless and knows bugger all about the golf swing or how to get you to do it.

i played so bad in Aus, handicap going up to 5/6, completely swing confused and putting yips.

so started new swing work 2 days ago, based on the modern-old TGM (The Golfing Machine) ideas and feels i have had in the past. Its going quite well, i have hope!

Completely different swing to me though Terry says it looks the same.

there are 2 basic ways to "swing" a golf club.

1. Throw. swing through releasing hands , arms crossing over,  you have to lean backwards to enable this (increase secondary tilt).

2. Rotation Hit. Body rotation moves the club back to the ball, you do not swing the club or force a release, you do hit the ball at the right time.

the second is what i have always wanted to do but never found it for long.

for me the problem has been the take-away, a new take-away makes it possible and easier.

i've been to so many name teachers and no name teachers over the years (35 of them) and they are all hopeless, you have to work it out yourself with selective knowledge from good sources, the internet nowadays is a blessing and a curse.

haven't seen Anders at Greenway yet, he was so funny and serious in the Swedish way, every day he arrived with a new swing theory from the internet. hope he hasn't injured himself.

my hands are soft from no practice and a funny thing has happened, my "Hogan Power Point", the first pad on your right index finger, is getting very sore, never had that before, must be a good sign!!

i can't quit coz its better than sex when done well.........

Not sure if you are serious or taking the complete Michael........

And who the flippin heck is Terry?

completely serious. just relaying the thoughts of a golfer.

you know those big bunches of fireworks they let off in the street and how they jump around and explode in all directions, the mind of a golfer is just like that except in slower motion.

Terry Of The Jungle is a lovely man from Yorkshire, known to disappear without warning and re-appear very suddenly. Kinda spooky in a way.

Still haven't seen Anders The Serious Searching Swede, really miss him.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Diana range and had the elderly scotsman (I think?) Coach me how to use the 9 iron. 

Good value for 1000 he imparted a lot of knowledge. 

Will be going back there soon I think

hmmmmm.. woggy what's he gonna do? work thru the bag one club at a time?

that's B13,000 more!!

was that David Rain (?), i had a lesson from him ages ago, didn't help one bit.

nice chap though i agree.

there's a young english pro who only plays on development tours who practices at Greenway occassionally the difference between him and all of us and any teaching "pro" around Pattaya is  so wide its depressing.

he has a "modern tour pro" type of "swing", the sort of thing they are teaching nowadays instead of the old "swing the clubhead" theories.

its almost impossible for a beginner or average player to improve because the instruction is so bad.

On 8/16/2017 at 22:02, Kanga said:

Not sure if you are serious or taking the complete Michael........

And who the flippin heck is Terry?

haha ... I totally understood him.

On 02/09/2017 at 14:13, Grumbler said:

hmmmmm.. woggy what's he gonna do? work thru the bag one club at a time?

that's B13,000 more!!

was that David Rain (?), i had a lesson from him ages ago, didn't help one bit.

nice chap though i agree.

there's a young english pro who only plays on development tours who practices at Greenway occassionally the difference between him and all of us and any teaching "pro" around Pattaya is  so wide its depressing.

he has a "modern tour pro" type of "swing", the sort of thing they are teaching nowadays instead of the old "swing the clubhead" theories.

its almost impossible for a beginner or average player to improve because the instruction is so bad.

Yeah he's probably not going to make me a PGA professional but probably teach me the basics

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

pattaya driving range - not the best condition wise but great ppl - good fun 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

do you know a golf practice for novices in Thailand. Accessible without hardware.  and also with a beautiful landscape to observe during the game?

thank you

I used to play when I was a kid, but haven't in 15 years..

Any good players in town in December? Would be fun to meet up for a game or two.

Cigars on me.

Edited by stacksreg123

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

13 hours ago, stacksreg123 said:

Any good players in town in December? Would be fun to meet up for a game or two.

Just curious,   why would they need to be good in order for you to play with them?

3 hours ago, Rick Blaine said:

Just curious,   why would they need to be good in order for you to play with them?

So I can learn something..

Haven't played in 15 years, so would be great to get a hint or two..

Edited by stacksreg123
  • Like 1

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Wow, can't believe this thread is still alive nearly 4 years after I posted it!

I have grown to love the game of golf and play as often as I can.

I am down to 12 handicap now and will be visiting Thailand next month but will be staying in Chiang Mai where there are many good courses. 

Patts will have to wait until March-April unfortunately! 

On 21/11/2021 at 19:45, stacksreg123 said:

I used to play when I was a kid, but haven't in 15 years..

Cigars on me.

hi your best bet is to join one of the ex pat golf societies such as the bunker boys or Travellers rest,

one is one soi lengkee the other Skawe beach soi which is the first turn into tree town

have  a look on line they both have websites

Cheers Beet

• Thanks 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

11 hours ago, wogggy said:

Wow, can't believe this thread is still alive nearly 4 years after I posted it!

I have grown to love the game of golf and play as often as I can.

I am down to 12 handicap now and will be visiting Thailand next month but will be staying in Chiang Mai where there are many good courses. 

Patts will have to wait until March-April unfortunately! 

hi

i retired last year and this year able to play as much as i want as a member at my local club, im down to 15

im in Patts all of March should be playing 6 or so rounds all being well

Cheers Beet

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 4 months later...

Was searching online for Pattaya golf and came across the Pattaya Sports Club that is a charitable membership organization that was founded in 1979 and it offers great discounts and plenty of organized events for members. I couldn't figure out how much it cost to join but it sounds like a raging deal for anyone into golf, fishing, bowls, tennis etc

4 hours ago, elperro said:

Was searching online for Pattaya golf and came across the Pattaya Sports Club that is a charitable membership organization that was founded in 1979 and it offers great discounts and plenty of organized events for members. I couldn't figure out how much it cost to join but it sounds like a raging deal for anyone into golf, fishing, bowls, tennis etc

500 baht per year.