IGNORED

Cost of living Udon Thani

MrJ200

Hi all. Having been given the possibility of a teaching job in UT straight after finishing my CELTA. Was just wondering how far my measly 30-33k baht per month would go in UT? I know there are much more lucrative options in SEA but would just like some more info on the place.

Just a Welshman living the dream in BKK

Udon is a decent place to live, plenty of expats there already and good shopping, almost western style now.  Your wage sounds about normal from the ones that I have heard about and is similar to my pension.  We live very well but out in a rural area and in our own house so no rent to pay.  Considering your relatively young age it is difficult to comment on if it is enough, living costs, yes enough but not sure about enjoying yourself to the max on that money.  It all depends on what lifestyle you want.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thanks for the reply Tony. I wouldn't be partying every night due to being a teacher and would keep the drinking to a weekend. I'm more of a career teacher having studied several years to get where I am compared to the view of backpackers teaching EFL on their travels.

It's quite sad that Thailand doesn't pay its teachers as well as its neighbouring countries. Most of its neighbours offer double the salary and if you're lucky accommodation too.

3 hours ago, MrJ200 said:

Thanks for the reply Tony. I wouldn't be partying every night due to being a teacher and would keep the drinking to a weekend. I'm more of a career teacher having studied several years to get where I am compared to the view of backpackers teaching EFL on their travels.

It's quite sad that Thailand doesn't pay its teachers as well as its neighbouring countries. Most of its neighbours offer double the salary and if you're lucky accommodation too.

I live just outside UT on a sugar cane farm. Even if you do not party much, 35,000 Baht is not enough to live (exist then ok) in UT because although not as many distractions as Pattaya or Bangkok it is still a fairly large city. At that salary you won't be eating much western food, have much for transportation, and if you are not getting a work permit then the visa running costs are going to eat that meager salary up.

It is very hard for anyone to comment on how much you need. 2 replies, one says you will be ok and one says you won't. I have not been in 8 years and it was the same as everywhere else at that time. Most places you go in Thailand have a room with fan for 3000, room with air con for 5000 and up from there. Thai food can be 200 a day everywhere and includes a beer or 2. Long term motorbike bike hire about 2000 a month. Bangkok and Phuket can be a lot more because they have a lot more on offer, but the same can be had out of the main areas. Of the next replies, some will pull apart the above and some may agree. Only you can tell what's enough for you and you need to go to find out.

Good luck.

I guess I'll share an opinion too. I've been living in Udon Thani (the city) for the past four years. Can a person live here on 30,000 a month? Of course they can, and the city is full of people living here on far less than that. Can ~you~ live here on 30,000 a month? That is entirely dependent on how you want to live. If you want to live the same way people do in the west, probably not. If you want to embrace a party lifestyle, definitely not. If you're comfortable with a simple, residential lifestyle then I think it's entirely possible. I have a Westerner neighbor, living in a Thai style house, who eats mostly Thai food, and only has a beer on occasion, that has been living here for several years on that much a month.

The question is; are you willing to live within your budget, or not? I think Udon is less expensive to live, in part, because there are far fewer distractions up here than Pattaya. But then, I have a house, and a wife, don't drink, and mainly eat Thai food my wife cooks. My major expense for the month is to Tesco for groceries, and that could be less if we went to the open air markets.

I'll also add that Udon Thani is more challenging than Pattaya if you don't speak Thai, since there are far fewer Thai's willing to speak English up here than there are in Pattaya. It's still possible to get by, but it is challenging.

My thoughts are that anount will pay for your monthly expenses (if you aren't too extravagant) excluding partying and girls. 

The temptation of going deep into the night life is not really around.

Last times I was in UT, a few years ago, there was a nice infrastructure (beer bars and massage places)

for mongers around.

The problem was just, it was bloody empty.

Can anyone explain?

:Oops1::Oops1::Oops1:

Thanks for your replies all. much appreciated! 

30 k will give you a very boring life...

room 5000

food.5000

bike etc 3000

beer.. 3000

other 2000

that leave 12000 for girls...thats around 6 girls a month

On 16/05/2017 at 1:15 AM, secret tom said:

room 5000

food.5000

bike etc 3000

beer.. 3000

other 2000

that leave 12000 for girls...thats around 6 girls a month

At 25 it should be the women who are paying him. I'm glad no 25 year old farangs teaching in my area might be too tempting for Mrs Insomniac.:rolleyes:

On 5/13/2017 at 8:02 PM, MrJ200 said:

Hi all. Having been given the possibility of a teaching job in UT straight after finishing my CELTA. Was just wondering how far my measly 30-33k baht per month would go in UT? I know there are much more lucrative options in SEA but would just like some more info on the place.

how old are you op, unless you are old dont be crazy, work in the west and save your money with a decent salary........ living like a beggar is not real smart and will end badly like all the others we read about

On 13/05/2017 at 2:02 PM, MrJ200 said:

6 minutes ago, just hanging said:

how old are you op, unless you are old dont be crazy, work in the west and save your money with a decent salary........ living like a beggar is not real smart and will end badly like all the others we read about

If you are young for this I mean in 20s then try this job for 6 months for change and experience.

If you are old and look to make new life just hanging is most correct for 33k per month is nothing and can not include medical coverage and even moderate lifestyle.

On 5/15/2017 at 1:11 PM, secret tom said:

30 k will give you a very boring life...

As opposed to what, fighting the rat race everyday? What a joy.

I also live in udon and the prices quoted are correct.

Inside the ring road monthly costs

Furnished room with ac and wifi B3500 and up
Elec B1-3000 depends on usage
Water B200
Thai street food B30 chicken and rice etc up
Internet providers have some cheap promotions for calls and data packages. I use ais
Reliable second hand motorbike around B15000
Easier to get a long term gf here. I don't go anywhere near the farang soi here as I'm married.
I find the price of shopping here the same as any other area of thailand. Eg tesco , central etc.
The army hospital here is ok for basic treatment. Most of the good doctors there also work at the private hospitals where you will pay a great deal more.
Airport provide different locations to fly to if you need to get out of udon.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

On 20 May 2017 at 5:45 AM, Balee said:

If you are young for this I mean in 20s then try this job for 6 months for change and experience.

If you are old and look to make new life just hanging is most correct for 33k per month is nothing and can not include medical coverage and even moderate lifestyle.

Im 23, 24 this year. I am already a qualified teacher here in the UK but now decided to do the CELTA and then up sticks to teach EFL/ESL. The life of a teacher in the UK isn't a very attractive proposition at the moment (too much bureaucracy!). 

3 hours ago, MrJ200 said:

Im 23, 24 this year. I am already a qualified teacher here in the UK but now decided to do the CELTA and then up sticks to teach EFL/ESL. The life of a teacher in the UK isn't a very attractive proposition at the moment (too much bureaucracy!). 

I applaud you getting out and about in the world, while you are young. My own personal opinion is that spending some time in other countries, and really having a chance to get to know some of the people in them, will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. I think getting experience with cultures other than your own is very worthwhile.

On 5/20/2017 at 8:32 AM, Epimetheus said:

I also live in udon and the prices quoted are correct.

Inside the ring road monthly costs

Furnished room with ac and wifi B3500 and up
Elec B1-3000 depends on usage
Water B200
Thai street food B30 chicken and rice etc up
Internet providers have some cheap promotions for calls and data packages. I use ais
Reliable second hand motorbike around B15000
Easier to get a long term gf here. I don't go anywhere near the farang soi here as I'm married.
I find the price of shopping here the same as any other area of thailand. Eg tesco , central etc.
The army hospital here is ok for basic treatment. Most of the good doctors there also work at the private hospitals where you will pay a great deal more.
Airport provide different locations to fly to if you need to get out of udon.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

When I visited I felt Udon was a great place to live longer term. I found the Thai's much friendlier than in the touristy areas and I would bet there are many Udon ladies outside P4P looking for a farrang. If I was there full time I think I would give the bars on soi farrang a miss and work the internet Badoo, Thai Friendly and the like for my entertainment. 

It is my future plan to live in udon thani.

I guess we should be ok on 50'000 baht no house to pay for and no family to feed...

Just me and Puang

I wouldn't call having a house in Udon as 'living'.

It was a shithole 20 years ago.

There's been a lot of building since.

It's now a developed shithole.

:hello09:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

10 minutes ago, davidge said:

I wouldn't call having a house in Udon as 'living'.

It was a shithole 20 years ago.

There's been a lot of building since.

It's now a developed shithole.

Having a house, married and living in udon ..

Sorry but many on here would say your wrong and you don't know what your talking about.

9 minutes ago, lanzalad said:

Having a house and married... and living in udon ...

Definition of purgatory?

:GoldenSmile1:

12 minutes ago, davidge said:

Definition of purgatory?

:GoldenSmile1:

Living in Wales when you should be retired in Pattaya but didn't make enough money to do so?

8 minutes ago, wmell said:

Living in Wales when you should be retired in Pattaya but didn't make enough money to do so?

I've obviously touched a nerve. Too close to the truth? :-)

I was joking (well, half anyway) but some people do rather have a plank up their arse.

BTW, if living in Pattaya is the dream, then why end up in Udon?

As for me, I could be living in Pattaya but taking care of family is more important to me. In any case, there are many places within 5 miles of me far more beautiful than Pattaya.

So many people far too serious on here. I can't help but go fishing every now and then.

:Good_Night:

Archived