Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

"มัน" when referring to people?

jayjo

I hear it all the time this holliday, and i learned that มัน is very offence, when not meaning animals or very young kids? I ask a lady and she say มัน is neutral not good or bad? What is true?

like มันชื่ออะไร when one lady want to know the name of an other farang(i overheard this conversation)

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

Man มัน can be impersonal and insulting but not necessarily so if you know the person you are referring to well.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

12 minutes ago, Dr.Winston said:

Man มัน can be impersonal and insulting but not necessarily so if you know the person you are referring to well.

Maybe same as the similar word มึง. "Mung". meaning you.  But with insulting tone. Girls call each other that.

When used between friends when its a sign of affection.  As in "goo rak mung", "I love you", as sung in thai songs, risque, sort of "I love you, you bitch".

Maybe same as the similar word มึง. "Mung". meaning you.  But with insulting tone. Girls call each other that.
When used between friends when its a sign of affection.  As in "goo rak mung", "I love you", as sung in thai songs, risque, sort of "I love you, you bitch".

Yes, it's a dodgy game for Farangs trying to master all those personal pronouns. Usually best to play it safe and stick to safer ones like คุณ.

Trying to describe how to use them concisely is the same territory as trying to describe how and who and when to Wai in one paragraph.

IMO just best to be aware of them and don't try to get too clever with them until you are really confident.

It was มัน for sure, i also hear มึง very often what seems too be casual youth speak, but i would stick to คุณ หรึอ เธอ

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:25 AM, jayjo said:

It was มัน for sure, i also hear มึง very often what seems too be casual youth speak, but i would stick to คุณ หรึอ เธอ

Give me any day มันฝรั่ง (man farang = potato).

On 7/5/2560 at 7:18 PM, Dr.Winston said:

So its definetly insulting if you know the person for about an hour and its an farang, right? (Bar chitchat)

So its definetly insulting if you know the person for about an hour and its an farang, right? (Bar chitchat)

More than likely, unless you're at the drinking and back slapping stage.

Archived