IGNORED

Turbulence do you wear your seatbelts.

mbamber

15 hours ago, blue1878 said:

You just did

Hi LTGTR basically I take the view that if the Seat Belt Sign is on I will wear the Seat Belt but if it's off I wont wear the seat belt. Maybe I am wrong in taking that view but that's the way I feel.  I've been flying a long time and I don't feel the need to wear the seat belt for the duration of the flight.  Only wear the seat belt when requested,

Hopefully a situation will never arise that will make me wish I had always worn my seat belt for the duration of the flights I have taken

For your sake,I hope you are right.

My father retired after 32 years with my airline and I retired with 30 from the same airline.I've done a fair amount of (free) flying in my 66 years and have been fortunate on several occasions to have been belted in. Broken bones,bruises,meal trays as flying objects,ect. I won't tempt fate at this stage when it is something I can control. It reminds me of the, " should I wear a helmet when riding my motorcycle" debate. Up to you.I have seen some really bad accidents and those w/o helmets haven't fared well. And I pity a few that have survived but probably wished they had not. 

I'm a seat belt/helmet guy,but you knew that already.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you keep your seat belt on loose you dont know it, but if you hit turbulence you will be glad  you did

I have been knocked around in a small plane many times, but always had my belt on

While I am awake, I typically have mine on, loose as it will get.  Bad air and worst case is I hover about 6" above my seat...

Sleeping, I cannot get comfortable enough to sleep with the belt on.  So it comes off.  But as has been said above, you typically get a little warning of mild bumpy air before a big bump is upon you.  It always wakes me right up.  And if so, long before the seatbelt light goes on, I buckle up until it passes.

There have been 3 occurrences this year that I'm aware of that resulted in injury. A flight from Russia to BKK had 27 injuries,a few serious. The other 2 in the US.One had 10 injuries,nearly all cabin crew as they were serving drinks. The 3rd I don't remember the particulars but I believe it was United. My guess is there are more that go unreported in Third World countries.Maybe not.

-Frank Zappa

16 hours ago, LongPlay said:

While I am awake, I typically have mine on, loose as it will get.  Bad air and worst case is I hover about 6" above my seat...

Sleeping, I cannot get comfortable enough to sleep with the belt on.  So it comes off.  But as has been said above, you typically get a little warning of mild bumpy air before a big bump is upon you.  It always wakes me right up.  And if so, long before the seatbelt light goes on, I buckle up until it passes.

We lost a 1011 at DFW seconds before touchdown to a microburst 32 years ago this week. Only warning was rain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191

-Frank Zappa

Remember it well.  We now have air rules that prevent pilots from underthinking bad weather and they do NOT land in heavy thunderstorms any more.  Besides, that was several minutes after the seatbelt light was on, and the passengers were all in the upright and locked positions.

Real world, I travel long haul a LOT.  local flights for a few hours, I am awake and upright.  Belt on.  But on 15+ hour flights, I need to sleep.  Over the Atlantic there are usually some rather bumpy areas as you hit Greenland airspace.  I always have my belt on well before the light goes on, even if I was asleep, which by then I usually am.  The lead up bumps feel like rolling over a washboard surface.  Light but for me definitely noticeable.  Plenty of time to get up, and get the belt on.

When I am fortunate enough to be in Business, the seat has room and belt length enough to belt up even when sleeping.  So I do.  But cattle class, which I do fly sometimes, the belts are not long enough for me to twist over onto my side and sleep with the belt.  Its a system that has worked for me now 20+ years.

Just a few days ago.................https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/severe-turbulence-aa-flight/

"experienced severe, unexpected turbulence"

-Frank Zappa

I do understand.  But reading carefully there WAS warning.  Seat belt light was on.  Only real issues were the attendants were still in the isles.  

As I said, if you do not pay attention, bad things will likely happen to you.

I work in the business of first starts on new plants.  Putting 10's of thousands of separate items all together, and expecting them ALL to work well together for the very first time is actually never going to happen.  It is why our teams exist and go all over the world doing this short term but vital first time work.  We all keep our heads on a swivel.  Trust 100% in absolutely nothing.  But we do manage risks multiple times every single shift.  When that warning or notice comes in an airline flight, or a gas turbine generating 50 megawatts of power, you stop and listen.  Every single time.  

People that wander through their days, ignoring warning signs, usually make out OK enough, but USUALLY only works for the minor things.  Turbulence is NOT a minor thing.  I know to feel for the initial turbulence and belt up.  Certainly 90+ percent of the time, my belt has clicked before the light is on.  I am keenly aware of even slightly different sounds or feels.  I have been this start up business now about 40 years.  You dont live long in this business with your head up your own ass.... 

2 hours ago, LongPlay said:

I do understand.  But reading carefully there WAS warning.  Seat belt light was on.  Only real issues were the attendants were still in the isles.  

As I said, if you do not pay attention, bad things will likely happen to you.

I work in the business of first starts on new plants.  Putting 10's of thousands of separate items all together, and expecting them ALL to work well together for the very first time is actually never going to happen.  It is why our teams exist and go all over the world doing this short term but vital first time work.  We all keep our heads on a swivel.  Trust 100% in absolutely nothing.  But we do manage risks multiple times every single shift.  When that warning or notice comes in an airline flight, or a gas turbine generating 50 megawatts of power, you stop and listen.  Every single time.  

People that wander through their days, ignoring warning signs, usually make out OK enough, but USUALLY only works for the minor things.  Turbulence is NOT a minor thing.  I know to feel for the initial turbulence and belt up.  Certainly 90+ percent of the time, my belt has clicked before the light is on.  I am keenly aware of even slightly different sounds or feels.  I have been this start up business now about 40 years.  You dont live long in this business with your head up your own ass.... 

A statement from one of the passengers on another report

Thirty minutes out. They were giving us our drinks. The flight attendants were in the last couple rows when they said 'fasten your seat belts.' And then they said for the flight attendants to get to their seats, and they didn't even have time.

Exactly.  They were at the opposite end of the airplane.  They had an unsecured cart with them.  It would take at least a minute to two minutes. Plenty of time to buckle your belt.  

I guess if one were to be sound asleep, it could take half a minute or so to wake and get your belt on.  I am not saying to sit and do nothing.  I just think if I need to sleep in an economy seat, I need a little bit more ability to roll and get into the most comfortable position I can.  Those economy seats are not near as big as they were 5 or 10 years ago, and I am not as thin as I was 10 years ago.  But my travel schedule has gone from bad to worse lately having this project in India and a new home in the Philippines.  So I get what rest I can.  Just never let my guard down.

Similar to condoms, seat belts are for sissies.  

I'm a sissy, it's always on when I'm in my seat.  Even right now, while sitting at my desk at home, I have my seat belt on.  Because the Earth is flat, you never know when it will just turn upside down.  :P

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

I hate turbulence, especially when the plane drops. I am generally gripping the arm rests, holding on for dear life, but I guess most people don't mind it.

I always wear a seatbelt when sat down, usually loosened off after take off. It makes me feel more secure, despite the fact if something major happens I am probably brown bread. Also if you they announce you have to ware it, and I am asleep I don't want to be woken by the flight attendants, which considering I don't manage to sleep on planes is also a rubbish reason. Reading about the severe turbulence I reckon I am right to be wearing it, but not for the reasons I always have.

Archived