Turbulence do you wear your seatbelts.

mbamber

Wear the seatbelt

so

you don't wear the overhead locker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still possible to buckle up if you lay down in a row of 3 or 4,  if your waist is no more 35ins. Or its too tight.

Otherwise ask for a seat belt extender (for fatties)

Always wear mine.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I was in the toilet having a shit pissed as a fart when my flight to Bangkok from Manchester hit turbulence I actually thought I was going to die. When I came out of the toilet there were people rolling around on the floor and a group of lads around the age of 21 all crying for dear life. It was surreal 

Always wear my seat belt for the whole flight ( except toilet ).  Wish everyone else would, if you hit bad turbulence there is the danger to yourself of flying passengers injuring you if they are not buckled up.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Severe clear air turbulence is a potential hazard which is difficult to foresee. Wearing a seat belt is a prudent measure, it is costless and not inconvenient. Makes sense to me and I certainly do so

19 hours ago, DAKLING1987 said:

I was in the toilet having a shit pissed as a fart when my flight to Bangkok from Manchester hit turbulence I actually thought I was going to die. When I came out of the toilet there were people rolling around on the floor and a group of lads around the age of 21 all crying for dear life. It was surreal 

yep, those 21 year olds are crying on here too    555

The belt remains fastened, though, between take off and landing I do loosen it.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

On 5/10/2017 at 3:55 AM, DAKLING1987 said:

I When I came out of the toilet there were people rolling around on the floor and a group of lads around the age of 21 all crying for dear life. It was surreal 

Bunch of sissies. First there is an incident happening on the plane. Then you have some head-up-backside passengers acting out, as if that would improve anything. Screaming won't help.

I always keep my belt fastened while in my seat...duhh.

• 3 weeks later...

During a flight I don't wear my seat belt BUT if the flight flies into turbulence I will always fasten my seat belt until we've passed through the turbulence

1 hour ago, blue1878 said:

During a flight I don't wear my seat belt BUT if the flight flies into turbulence I will always fasten my seat belt until we've passed through the turbulence

As you're the first to post that you don't always wear the belt, I'm curious to hear from the other side of the aisle so to speak, why not?

What if you get an empty flight and you have 4 seats to yourself -
Lie down underneath the belts. Possible? 

Yep, done this a few times, just use one of the middle belts.

I tend to sleep a lot on flights so another reason I always wear a belt is so the stewardesses don't wake me up if the seat belt light goes on.

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

As you're the first to post that you don't always wear the belt, I'm curious to hear from the other side of the aisle so to speak, why not?

Hi forcebewithu I've been flying a long time and have always felt save.  So the only time I will wear a seat belt is when the flight takes off and lands plus when there is turbulence.  I've flown to and from Thailand 35 times and have also flown to many other countries as well.  And I have never encountered a situation where I thought that I should always wear the seat belt for the duration of a flight.

When you fly the seat belt sign is only ever on when the plane takes off and lands plus when there is a problem is turbulence.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/06/2017 at 2:36 PM, blue1878 said:

Hi forcebewithu I've been flying a long time and have always felt save.  So the only time I will wear a seat belt is when the flight takes off and lands plus when there is turbulence.  I've flown to and from Thailand 35 times and have also flown to many other countries as well.  And I have never encountered a situation where I thought that I should always wear the seat belt for the duration of a flight.

When you fly the seat belt sign is only ever on when the plane takes off and lands plus when there is a problem is turbulence.  

No one can predict unexpected turbulence!!!

On 6/1/2017 at 8:36 PM, blue1878 said:

I guess you won't mind when that 140 kg guy beside you flies up without his seat belt on and lands on you then. 

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

3 minutes ago, freedom42 said:

I guess you won't mind when that 140 kg guy beside you flies up without his seat belt on and lands on you then. 

I've been flying for 44 years now and it hasnt happened yet :P:D

And for 25 of those years I have been flying to Thailand  :D

I agree with blue1878, the chance of encountering turbulence w/o warning is pretty small. Small enough that I believe the choice of wearing a seat belt when the sign is off should be left as a personal choice. Having said that, my choice is to always wear the belt as it's not  inconvenient to do so and reduces the risk of hitting the ceiling to near zero by doing so. For those that don't and leave their seat vertically unexpectedly, I doubt very much they'll land in their seatmate's lap. The nature of flying through turbulence is such that the plane will drop or rise vertically, with no lateral motion.

• 1 month later...

My Father retired from an airline career. After him,I retired from an airline career. I learned long ago to always stay buckled up. In the '60s,we were flying from LA to Miami and hit a pocket of air turbulence and my infant sister flew out my Mom's lap and luckily fell straight back to her lap. That's all the convincing I needed.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it

helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but

at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:36 AM, blue1878 said:

I don't know how to respond.........................

-Frank Zappa

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:05 AM, forcebwithu said:

I agree with blue1878, the chance of encountering turbulence w/o warning is pretty small.

That is completely wrong.  CAT doesn't show on radar.

-Frank Zappa

On 6/30/2017 at 4:05 PM, forcebwithu said:

I agree with blue1878, the chance of encountering turbulence w/o warning is pretty small. 

55 minutes ago, LTGTR said:

That is completely wrong.  CAT doesn't show on radar.

No, not completely wrong. In most cases a plane will fly through areas of increasing turbulence before encountering turbulence severe enough to cause injury. There are also Pilot Reports warning following aircraft of severe turbulence.

As it is, my personal choice is to always buckle up. And I do wonder why others don't as it's a small thing to do to reduce the risk of CAT injury to almost zero.

5 hours ago, LTGTR said:

I don't know how to respond.........................

You just did

Hi LTGTR basically I take the view that if the Seat Belt Sign is on I will wear the Seat Belt but if it's off I wont wear the seat belt. Maybe I am wrong in taking that view but that's the way I feel.  I've been flying a long time and I don't feel the need to wear the seat belt for the duration of the flight.  Only wear the seat belt when requested,

Hopefully a situation will never arise that will make me wish I had always worn my seat belt for the duration of the flights I have taken

Luckily unexpected turbulence bad enough to cause injury is not common but last month there were 2 incidents in different parts of the world China Eastern & United so in the seat I will stay loosely buckled up.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/06/19/violent-turbulence-injures-26-on-china-eastern-airlines-flight.html

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/21/14-injured-as-severe-turbulence-violently-rattles-united-airlines-flight-to-houston-6725279/

Archived