IGNORED

Getting slides and 35mm transparencies to digital

great mooglie

I was talking to my expat brother, who lives in Pattaya, about old pictures he has on slides and transparencies and he mentioned he wish he knew a place to get them converted to digital.  Does anyone know of a place in Pattaya that provides such a service.  I would like to take them someplace to get the job done my next Pattaya trip. The old google machine has not been helpful to me finding such a place.   

To be honest, no I don't know of a place in Pattaya that does that but there might well be one.

When I created my "A Misspent Youth" thread I bought a medium high end scanner that could deal with transparencies (slides) and negatives and did it all myself. If you have a lot of slides it might be worth it.

I would recommend scanners by Canon that have this facility as they usually come bundled with scratch and hair mark removing software. I had to clean my scans manually in Photoshop and it is very time consuming.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

If you want someone to do it for you why don't you get in done in USA?  

I'm a Blowfish !!

Blowfish'n this up ...

9 hours ago, Dr.Winston said:

To be honest, no I don't know of a place in Pattaya that does that but there might well be one.

When I created my "A Misspent Youth" thread I bought a medium high end scanner that could deal with transparencies (slides) and negatives and did it all myself. If you have a lot of slides it might be worth it.

I would recommend scanners by Canon that have this facility as they usually come bundled with scratch and hair mark removing software. I had to clean my scans manually in Photoshop and it is very time consuming.

I had never seen or heard of the "The Misspent Youth" thread.  I did a search and found it.  Fantastic!  Just buying a scanner would be my last resort I'll check out the canon models.  If I can find one small enough for my suitcase that would be cool, or perhaps even buy one there.

8 hours ago, zenzen11 said:

If you want someone to do it for you why don't you get in done in USA?  

It may not be clear in my original post, but the slides are in my brother's possession in Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

If you got a professional photo lab to do it for you it would get bloody expensive, even here in Thailand, as they have to do the slides one by one. It's a very time consuming process.

I had a couple cartons of slides and like the Dr. I bought a digital scanner. Sat down for several days and worked my way through decades of slides. Unfortunately, as my slides had been stored in humid Thailand, many were ruined by fungal growths. Many others had developed color casts after years of storage, so there was a massive job of color correction, plus cropping and general editing, after I had digitized the images.  

So really what you have to do it buy a digital slide scanner and find a comfy chair and work your way through the lot.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I used a good quality flatbed scanner for 35mm slides and negatives.  The results were more than satisfactory. I don't know a place that has such a service here in Pattaya unfortunately.

Archived