IGNORED

Is a retirement visa the right way for me to go?

ChiFlyer

Hi - I am trying to understand if getting a retirement visa is the correct thing for me to do. I see a lot of valuable info in this section, but nothing that is answering my initial question.

I am an American.

I am 67 years old.

I am not planning on moving to Thailand at this time, but am planning on longer visits that are likely to take me over the 90 days per one year limit.

Is the retirement visa the right way to address this. I have download and read Non-immigrant Visa and additional "O-A" forms. What I am trying to achieve is the ability to exceed 90 days per year and also have multiple entries with that. Sorry, if I am being dense, but this is my first time looking into this. I meet the income requirements. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. CF 

There is no 90 day per year limit.

Thai Visa is really the site for in-depth answers and discussions on this topic, much less so here on PA.

All your questions will have been answered over there by the experts.

The theoretical '90 days a year' is only for Visa Exempt entries. Even with this, you may not have a problem.

You can just get a Tourist Visa before travelling anyway and that will solve the problem. At some point, the Consulate/Embassy may tell you you're getting too many visas but unlikely. You can get 60 days + 30 days extension on each Tourist Visa.

If you prefer, you could get a METV. It's more hassle than a SETV but it will allow multiple entries on one visa within a 6 month period.

No real need for a 'Retirement Visa' unless you plan on staying 6/9 months or more each year.

You could still get one if you wanted, but not essential.

Edit: to give you an idea how easy a SETV is to get... I'm getting one next week. The closest Thai Consulate to me is in Cardiff and I'm there next week anyway for a Bob Dylan concert :GoldenSmile1: I telephoned for an appointment and they'll do the visa while I wait in about 20 minutes. One page form, 2 photos and £35 (£25 for visa & £10 admin fee).

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Archived