IGNORED

Buying for the future

exercise

Planning ahead and considering to buy a condo flat in Thailand for when I give up the rat race. Can't decide on location and whether to let it out whilst I'm still working. Places I've liked are around Patong and Pattaya. If I was to buy there I could leave it empty and use it for holidays. I would need to employ cleaners etc.

And then there is the question of apartment size. Do I get something cheap and small or a 2 or 3-bed place?

I don't expect the prices to change much in the next 5 years and investment is. It my reason for buying. 

I am leaning to Pattaya and the surrounding areas and am open to suggestions. 

If you can afford it get at least two bedrooms.  much better resale.   On a house at least 3 bedrooms

53 minutes ago, exercise said:

.....................Can't decide on location..................

In that case you're nowhere near buying, it's the first thing you need to do.

In your case it needs to be the right location for you, but if you do let it out location will affect the success of that too.
You say not an investment, but if you did decide/need to sell location will obviously be of the utmost importance.

First you have to decide location..........after that I'd say if you're just playing with Search Criteria you at least want a separate bedroom (not Studio) on a high floor with a view....after that it gets complicated.

8 hours ago, Edge said:

In that case you're nowhere near buying, it's the first thing you need to do.

In your case it needs to be the right location for you, but if you do let it out location will affect the success of that too.
You say not an investment, but if you did decide/need to sell location will obviously be of the utmost importance.

First you have to decide location..........after that I'd say if you're just playing with Search Criteria you at least want a separate bedroom (not Studio) on a high floor with a view....after that it gets complicated.

A 'central Pattaya' one-BR condo, with a view, will run 7M-10MBht.

View Talay 6, NorthShore, etc.

For me, I live in a 'studio' happily with a great location and view.

Just now, galt67 said:

OK....my 51 sqm one bedroom with full bay view was 2.7 Mn, so there is a range.

47 minutes ago, Edge said:

You got an excellent deal!

What building and when did you buy it?

Here are some listings that I saw today that are 'centrally' located in Pattaya:

View Talay 6 (next to CF Shopping), studio/48sqm, NO view is starting at 3.5-4M/Bht.

Northshore (Beach Rd, Soi 5), 1-BR/61sqm, good view is starting at  7M/Bht.

20 minutes ago, galt67 said:

You got an excellent deal!

What building and when did you buy it?

Here are some listings that I saw today that are 'centrally' located in Pattaya:

View Talay 6 (next to CF Shopping), studio/48sqm, NO view is starting at 3.5-4M/Bht.

Northshore (Beach Rd, Soi 5), 1-BR/61sqm, good view is starting at  7M/Bht.

I don't doubt that the Northshore one is very nice (needs to be) but you're back to location and I wouldn't want to be even that far out.

VT6 is expensive in my view, but it's very central, very popular and it's newer than mine.

Mine is in an old block, but it's a high floor, I've almost got it how I want it now.............

..................and I like the view.                            015aax.jpg.cfafb7a2b4c00d9972588877e3b715c3.jpg
Pan1.thumb.jpg.6dad9a281aa00a16d86e1a3c706f728d.jpg

I've seen less expensive condos in the Facebook page "Pattaya Condos for sale or rent". 

I am very interested in Pattaya or Jomtien. Preferably not a studio but I suppose it depends on the layout.

Why not build your own place?

Get a 30 year lease on some land and build yourself a nice house instead of being stuck in a condo?

The affordable, professional, reliable construction company.

https://www.togetherconstructionthailand.com/

A little bit away from the beach you can by a brandnew condo for less than 3 M Bath.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Look at jomtien. It's still cheap and eventually as Pattaya developers start to run out of land, like all cities there will be a spread outwards.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jmooney said:

Why not build your own place?

Get a 30 year lease on some land and build yourself a nice house instead of being stuck in a condo?

Go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the look of pride condo or the base. I'm also looking to buy. Any feedback on these two?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

bought a condo 3 years ago [avenue residence] at the time got 54 baht to the pound, i know im stating the obvious but to buy now with the rate so shit it would make buying really expensive.

On April 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Edge said:

Lets do the math.

the OP is Ozzie, I am a Canuck, so basically the same exchange.

2.7 million baht = over 100,000 Ozzie or Canuck bucks.

he is looking at a holiday rental , same same me.

last years portfolio netted me 6.5 percent, that's 162,000 baht. On a 100, 000 investment.

so I can kep MY money, in MY country, in MY account and have 162,000 baht to use on my holiday rental.

why would anyone buy unless you are a long term expat or retired in Thailand full time.

maybe I'm missing something?

162,000 baht pays for my accomadation and then some.

no need for me to buy.

And watch my investment go to shit in a few years with the quality of workmanship fall part and become a dilapidated building.

No thanks.

different for those living in LOS full time.

7 minutes ago, weblo said:

........different for those living in LOS full time.

Can't work out if you're asking me something up there or just stating your position.

The OP said he was planning to live here full time.

Not asking aanything just stating my opinion.

as I say, if I was living in LOS full time it is much different and I am sure I would buy myself.

make sure when you buy for the future it is not next to an empty lot or a building that looks like it will be torn down, you may wind up with a view of someones balcony

36 minutes ago, weblo said:

Not asking aanything just stating my opinion.

as I say, if I was living in LOS full time it is much different and I am sure I would buy myself.

Fair enough....just that you quoted me and I couldn't figure why.

Yes, buying as an investment, buying for holiday use and buying to live in full time are three very different Qs.

On 4/25/2017 at 6:57 PM, galt67 said:

I know  of a Condo in an excellent location for 4.3 Million baht. High floor, sea view, 80 sq. m. one bedroom but easily to make  2nd bedroom. So i would think there are plenty below 7M.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

27 minutes ago, Edge said:

Fair enough....just that you quoted me and I couldn't figure why.

Yes, buying as an investment, buying for holiday use and buying to live in full time are three very different Qs.

I was just using your  buying price as a theoretical investment equation.

37 minutes ago, just hanging said:

make sure when you buy for the future it is not next to an empty lot or a building that looks like it will be torn down, you may wind up with a view of someones balcony

Yes, I use the Areca pool quite frequently, the new condo - building next door is unreal, you can basically touch the units out your window.

what a view555

only in LOS!

so you buy a real nice house in a real nice housing development on the DarkSide... the guy who owns the house next to yours and his Thai wife split up, they bail on the mortgage, the house becomes vacant... the bank for whatever reason doesn't sell it... the yard becomes overgrown, the longer it remains vacant (years go by), the more into disrepair the once REALLY nice house/building becomes, and that lowers the value of your dream home in paradise... or you buy a really nice seaview condo... get a really good fireSALE price... the condos near yours are rented out, short term rentals to mostly noisy/door slamming/loud voiced/chain smoking vacationers... and across from your condo, a new condo goes up, partially blocking your sea views and causing noise, dust/dirt every day for months/years with the construction... or you buy into a condo that isn't finished, get a real nice pre-opening price... the non-scrupulous builders go bust, the condo never gets completed, or it gets bought out by new management and gets completed with different/lower quality specs than you bought into... 

can happen anywhere you buy (not just Pattaya)... a crapShoot, even in what appears to be the best house/condo/etc... I'm jus sayN... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

build a fence or plant some trees or have a gardner clean their yard once in a while

Archived