IGNORED

Sim Card

badrodald

Can I re-use my sim card from last trip or do I have to purchase a new one? 10 months in between visits.

You will probably need a new one. I think it expires after 3 months of inactivity.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Depends if you topped it up.

I get an extra month every time I top up 90 baht up to a maximum of a year.

If not, it's probably been deactivated. Just ask at the relevant kiosk at Suvarnabhumi.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

It may also depend on the brand and type of SIM.  Things have changed recently and my buddy said he got his SIM in airport as 'tourist SIM' with passport real easy, no hassle, but not the best rate plan and not sure on how long it last.  I have not done it, only heard from a friend.  

About 2 years ago I went to Tukomm and got a 'Happy" SIM, bought enough for the month, then on the day before I left, I went and bought 12 separate additions of 20 baht each, and each one extends my minutes for 1 month, hence good for 1 year.  Since then I have been in LOS about every 8 months and do the same procedure.  I do not know how easy to do this it is anymore, maybe going with a TG would help? But I would not do, nor expect anyone to put a phone in my name.  Out of curiosity in November 2016 I tried to get one at a 7/11 and could not.  Some random lady at her store with a glass cabinet of phone accessories said she could sell me the SIM (small amount of credit) with copy of passport, then I can go load it up at Kiosk.  Having service the minute I hit the ground is quite convenient.  I've also thought about finding a fellow monger that lives there and leaving a couple hundred baht for him to load it in case I don't get there every year.  

Archived