IGNORED

Make sure you use the 'N' word.

storytime

When speaking Thai make sure you pronounce the 'N' when saying words like pooying (girl) pronouncing the G as well as the N here.

To hear: yinn.

To see: hen. Drag the N out when your saying the word, English speakers tend to cut the ending word out.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

31 minutes ago, storytime said:

When speaking Thai make sure you pronounce the 'N' when saying words like pooying (girl) pronouncing the G as well as the N here.

To see: hen. Drag the N out when your saying the word, English speakers tend to cut the ending word out.

I may be reading you wrong but I think you are a little off the mark here.

Hen (to see). You should emphasize the E.

Pooying. Sounds like ring. Some UK English speakers pronounce the G as a hard G on the end of ring but this would not be correct.

• 1 year later...

Thais tend to always stress the last syllable, also in English: compuTER, MisTER, ...

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 23:11, Kahoy said:

I may be reading you wrong but I think you are a little off the mark here.

Hen (to see). You should emphasize the E.

Pooying. Sounds like ring. Some UK English speakers pronounce the G as a hard G on the end of ring but this would not be correct.

I guess you mean like the (correct) pronunciation of the word “finger”.

Thanks for the info.  

I’m sure I’ll notice a difference in my day to day encounters....lol.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2017 at 08:37, storytime said:

You are correct in saying it doesn't sound like English, but beyond that I can't agree with you, no offense. 

11 minutes ago, wulfgar said:

You are correct in saying it doesn't sound like English, but beyond that I can't agree with you, no offense. 

Well if thats how you feel about it  I shall go to my mens group on a Thursday evening at the church hall and have a good cry. On mondays they have morris dancing.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

2 hours ago, storytime said:

Well if thats how you feel about it  I shall go to my mens group on a Thursday evening at the church hall and have a good cry. On mondays they have morris dancing.

Well played. Maybe the perceived long n or ng sound is actually the by-product of a correctly formed rising tone? 

On 05/04/2017 at 16:37, storytime said:

They do pronounce the N clearly but its more the preceding vowel which is dragged out

e.g Hen (I see)  sounds like Hehhhn

or Dai yin (I can hear) sounds like Die yeeeen

But this dragging out doesn't always happen.  For example, if these words are followed immediately by another word, then its too cumbersome to drag it out, so it gets shortened to normal length.

e.g Dai yin mai ?  (Can you hear ?). just sounds like "Die yeen my", and not "die yeeeen my"

Thats the way I hear it anyway.

ผู้หญิง can be heard 10 sec into this video:

เห็น can be heard 7 sec into this video.

ได้ยิน can be heard 3:04 into this video.

Decide for yourselves :D

7 hours ago, wulfgar said:

Well played. Maybe the perceived long n or ng sound is actually the by-product of a correctly formed rising tone? 

'Xactly

Archived