Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

unbox your Samsung Galaxy 2017

david555

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Looks great but damn expensive, same price as iPhone or even close.

Also costs more to make than the iPhone but Apple charge a premium for their goods and because of their software.

I would wait and get a Xiaomi Mi6 - pretty much same hardware but software better IMHO

16 minutes ago, MaGiK said:

Looks great but damn expensive, same price as iPhone or even close.

The line under your avatar could be the reason that you find it to expensive ....:D

MaGiK   

• I'm Shagging more than you
  •  

1 hour ago, david555 said:

The line under your avatar could be the reason that you find it to expensive ....:D

MaGiK   

• I'm Shagging more than you
  •  

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No budget for girls indeed :)

Who pays $1000 for a phone ? The Chinese Huaweis and Xiaomis are better and half the price.

2 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Who pays $1000 for a phone ? The Chinese Huaweis and Xiaomis are better and half the price.

new iphone 8 will be here before too long, will be more than $1000.  There will be a line to get them, I will be in it

The S8 looks amazing. Only thing I don't like is the non-removable battery.

Almost a pity my current phone still works fine.

Sent from my awesome LG G4 using Tapatalk

On 3/29/2017 at 11:37 PM, chris2004 said:

Considering the amount of use it gets and the fact that they're now just as powerful as a laptop, I think this isn't completely outrageous. Some people spend more money a year on coffee. I use my phone more than any other device, even my television, and I easily paid over $1k for my TV. 

What really caught my attention about the S8 was the docking to a monitor and keyboard to use it as a full blown computer. I actually might replace my aging PC tower at home in favor of this solution, so a 2 for 1 in that regard. Just pre-ordered yesterday.

Also, at least in America, lots of people don't realize that phones were already $500-850. We American's see is often the subsidized price of free or next to free with a 2 year contract extension. This new phone is definitely more expensive, but not outrageously so. 

No removable battery is purely business, they don't want  that you keep your phone more than 3 years....

Instead change the battery you'll buy a new model, purely strategic.

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine last night. Immediate impression is that the phone feels very solid and premium, but the odd length will take a bit to get used to. Shown below next to an S6 and even the original Galaxy S. It is actually narrower than the S6. Comes with a solid assortment of connectors because of the new USB-C plug. This includes a micro USB to USB-C adapter, full size USB to USB-3 adapter, a full size USB to USB-C cable, and the standard quick charger brick. Real AKG earphones with braided cord and inline remote. Thought they were average until I put the larger silicone pads on (I guess I have large ear holes). Makes the bass really pop with a snug fit. 

My immediate gripe is that Samsung loaded this thing with software duplicates of all the Google apps That means two email apps, two clocks, two calendars, two cloud storage apps, and probably a half dozen more. Going to take a while to de-clutter this thing. Also, Samsung's new personal assistant, Bixby, is annoyingly present when you swipe left on the home screen. Cant be disabled or removed yet and they even put a god damn dedicated button for it under the volume rocker. Would have preferred that to be a camera button. Screen is gorgeous though. Most reviewers agree that this is as good as it gets right now. The default resolution is only half way to max, to remember to change it if you want the full effect. It's so crisp and sharp that I think Google will have to rethink their DPI on their app icons. 

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

So @Little Evil, I knew the Plus had a non-removable battery, the S8 non-Plus is the same?

2 hours ago, Garzan said:

So @Little Evil, I knew the Plus had a non-removable battery, the S8 non-Plus is the same?

Still non-removable. That's somewhat a current trend these days, where the carriers are only making these devices for a 2 year lifespan. Kind of shame, but the technology advances so fast with smartphones that you might be out of software update range after 2 years anyway. Fast charge gets around any battery concerns in most instances though. You can get a full day off of a 30 min charge if you use the supplied charger. 

9 hours ago, Little Evil said:

Still non-removable. That's somewhat a current trend these days, where the carriers are only making these devices for a 2 year lifespan. Kind of shame, but the technology advances so fast with smartphones that you might be out of software update range after 2 years anyway. Fast charge gets around any battery concerns in most instances though. You can get a full day off of a 30 min charge if you use the supplied charger. 

That's part of the reason why I'm still using my S5. Unfortunately for me, the S8 has too many other good attributes, and I think I'll probably buy one anyway. At least the S8 has a user accessible micro SD card slot. :-)

It looks an odd shape very long and thin. I suppose that is so they can claim a large screen size but still keep it small enough to hold in the hand. So while 5.8/6.2 sounds big the overall screen size is probably no bigger.

1 hour ago, chris2004 said:

It looks an odd shape very long and thin. I suppose that is so they can claim a large screen size but still keep it small enough to hold in the hand. So while 5.8/6.2 sounds big the overall screen size is probably no bigger.

Its an 18.5 x 9 ratio instead of the more common 16 x 9 ratio.

I still haven't seen one 'in the flesh' but I imagine I'll be buying one when I actually see one in a shop. :-)

i would be very happy to get one , as for now half the time I do not take smartphone out with me as I find not very handy because of size , good in home country where I wear jacket / suit , but not in warm Pattaya ..., as I am used to my old Samsung clamshell ,almost not feeling it when in jeans pocket

632_g[1].jpg

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Garzan said:

Its an 18.5 x 9 ratio instead of the more common 16 x 9 ratio.

I still haven't seen one 'in the flesh' but I imagine I'll be buying one when I actually see one in a shop. :-)

Finally saw one "in the flesh" a couple of months ago. Bought the S8+, and a Gear 360 (2017) camera to go along with it. Sadly I still have not been able to find a Gear VR (2017) to make the set complete. 555 :-)

Just got one of the Samsung C9+ while here in India.  It has dual sim and a slot for a high capacity memory chip.  

It seems it was made for the India market, but works anywhere after it is first mated with a network here in India.  Did that for a week, then put in my USA chip from ATT.  Works well so far.

I do like to keep a higher end phone, and the dual sim card option really helps as my company requires I stay in touch...

3 minutes ago, LongPlay said:

Just got one of the Samsung C9+ while here in India.  It has dual sim and a slot for a high capacity memory chip.  

It seems it was made for the India market, but works anywhere after it is first mated with a network here in India.  Did that for a week, then put in my USA chip from ATT.  Works well so far.

I do like to keep a higher end phone, and the dual sim card option really helps as my company requires I stay in Touch...

That is one thing about the S8+, you have a choice on the second slot; another SIM, or a memory card. For me I picked putting in a micro SD. One SIM is enough for me. :-)

Yeah, I was looking at the S8 when I got the C9.  The C9 doesn't make you choose.  You get them all.  I have two sims, AND the 128gb microSD card as well.  So far, even with my limited knowledge of all the things these phones do, I think it is a great phone.  

I have not worked with dual sim cards before and I am learning that it matters in how you use them.  My USA phone number is company paid.  So to keep from having rather difficult questions to answer, I have to make sure I know which to use for what calls.  And Data for my phone is also a choice, I have data on both sims, but since the company phone is set to pick up any carrier, and chooses the hottest signal, I use their number for data.  I am watching it however just to make sure it is not excessive.

The 3rd slot was the deciding factor in my choice.  I was looking at the S8, The C8, and the C9.  The phone was around 300 USD, and the lower prices for S8 and C8 were in the 220 range each.

On 8/13/2017 at 0:56 AM, LongPlay said:

Yeah, I was looking at the S8 when I got the C9.  The C9 doesn't make you choose.  You get them all.  I have two sims, AND the 128gb microSD card as well.  So far, even with my limited knowledge of all the things these phones do, I think it is a great phone.  

I have not worked with dual sim cards before and I am learning that it matters in how you use them.  My USA phone number is company paid.  So to keep from having rather difficult questions to answer, I have to make sure I know which to use for what calls.  And Data for my phone is also a choice, I have data on both sims, but since the company phone is set to pick up any carrier, and chooses the hottest signal, I use their number for data.  I am watching it however just to make sure it is not excessive.

The 3rd slot was the deciding factor in my choice.  I was looking at the S8, The C8, and the C9.  The phone was around 300 USD, and the lower prices for S8 and C8 were in the 220 range each.

Did you know you can configure the phone to use different sims for different tasks.

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

Actually, I just figured this out last week as a matter of fact.  I switched my India sim out for a Globe sim for the Philippines.  When I did, I looked at the settings area and found that I can do that.  Text with one sim, phone with another, or have it make me choose which sim to use on each phone call.  And Data can be pointed to one or the other sim card as well.

So far I like the C9.  I added memory with a 128GB, and the phone has 64gb.  so I am good even with the 55gb of music I have.  

Every phone with Android has its own quirks, and I am having to switch from an old S5 and a Lenovo phone to this new C9.  Us older farts can still learn, its just that we sometimes would like to keep it all the same.  Not possible in the upper end phone game unfortunately, got  to keep up or use 2 or even 3 phones .  Choices are not that hard in this case.

Archived