IGNORED

Pattaya beer garden food

tobeornottobe

What's this place like for food . Anything in particular that's very good 

Nothing special. Quality has gone down in my opinion. Plenty of places to get better and cheaper thai and falang food. You're just paying for the view and seating. 

Loved watching the sun go down from the Beer Garden after my afternoon escapades.  Relaxing, pretty good music, and the best of all the cool breeze. Tried the food, a little disappointing.  Not bad, just very plain. 

Didn't sample many restaurants but could recommend Retox for a great cheap western breakfast or a late night monster burger. (Soi Honey near 2nd rd.)

Nothing is particularly good besides the view.

• Like 1

Retired

The food is mid-priced and mid-quality.

Some dishes are better than others e.g. pasta is good; my steak was way overcooked.

This said, I like it.

Food menu and prices are on their web site. Draft beer is available.

I always thought the food was pretty good there, and a reasonable price for Walking Street. Great view as well of course. One of the best restaurants in town imo.

The Thai food is better than the Western food, but that's really not saying much because the Thai food is pretty average. 

Excellent banana splits and sundaes though. 

Eggs Benedict is decent.

The mixed/green salad is quite good, and a big plate, including a small side potato salad all for 80 baht!

No stomach problems as well....so far! :wink:

Plahgat

Mixed salad.JPG

When no money... she no give honey! 

40 minutes ago, plahgat said:

The mixed/green salad is quite good, and a big plate, including a small side potato salad all for 80 baht!

No stomach problems as well....so far! :wink:

Plahgat

Mixed salad.JPG

Looks great but I avoid salads even now Subway in LOS, my diet and drinking on holiday is bad enough but when I have salad I always seem to get stomach upset. It was not helped and maybe psychological but one hotel I stayed in, my room overlooked the back of a very busy restaurant and when I saw how they prepared the vegetables/salad, a mototaxi driver even turned up I think to pick his wife up and as she had not finished prep he sat down and helped, no hand wash and of course TIT no one was wearing gloves. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

Looks great but I avoid salads even now Subway in LOS, my diet and drinking on holiday is bad enough but when I have salad I always seem to get stomach upset. It was not helped and maybe psychological but one hotel I stayed in, my room overlooked the back of a very busy restaurant and when I saw how they prepared the vegetables/salad, a mototaxi driver even turned up I think to pick his wife up and as she had not finished prep he sat down and helped, no hand wash and of course TIT no one was wearing gloves. 

Ate in an Italian restaurant in Jomtien last trip - forget the name but not too far from the arch, almost opposite Natans. Quite expensive. The salad was large so I only ate about half the leaves etc. The manageress/owner took the plate into the kitchen and I could see her telling the cook to reuse it!

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I love my vegs and eat it everyday mostly as a fresh salad or as quick wok fried vegs in restaurants in Thailand,

and have had very little problems with it.

Although I stay in Thailand 5-7 months a year, so my stomach might be used to some of the germs!:wink:

I did try the salad bar in Tops under Tuk,com once, were you can pick your own vegs and salad dressing and take home, and that time I actually did get the runs the morning after, no pain though only a quick rush and a 3-4 bowel movements and the shit was out, and I was OK to go again!:P

I haven't had any serious stomach problems for many years with severe pain, fever or fatigue.

I think the 1-2 week tourists are more at risk, not being so used to the local bacteria!

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

On 29/03/2017 at 10:21 AM, tobeornottobe said:

What's this place like for food . Anything in particular that's very good 

Ten years ago it used to be great.

However the food has really gone downhill and the music is still the same!

The last few times I have eaten there I got an upset stomach - nothing serious but still an annoyance. I have to admit that it took me also my entire holiday to make the connection! 

Pad kra pow and ....i can't remember the name of the other one

1939f97f1a68aa939d4bc93861c142e1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

PBG is a nice little spot to have a bite to eat in good company.  Top views of the ocean and surrounds, and unless it's changed since I was last there the best tables (outside over the ocean) fill up quickly during the evening.

The food selection is pretty good, but like many restaurants the quality is a bit variable as it depends on the Chef, and Chefs tend to come and go.  TG's I have taken there have never complained about the Thai food, which is not something I can say about several other places that I habitually frequent.

Worth checking out and trying the food to see what you think for yourself.  If the Chef on site is up to the mark, I reckon dining there is pretty good more often than mediocre over the years.  Never had any gastric troubles myself from food at the PBG.

Cheers

Perthie

• Like 2

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Had no complaints about the thai food but last time i was there i thought i would try the Lasagne, it was disgusting.

• Sad 1

I went recently and it was the worst thai meal ive had for years never again

• Thanks 1

I used to go there for lunch, now i go to Baywatch in Beach road. Like it better. 

Edited by jones78

On 30/03/2017 at 5:46 PM, plahgat said:

I love my vegs and eat it everyday mostly as a fresh salad or as quick wok fried vegs in restaurants in Thailand,

and have had very little problems with it.

Although I stay in Thailand 5-7 months a year, so my stomach might be used to some of the germs!:wink:

I did try the salad bar in Tops under Tuk,com once, were you can pick your own vegs and salad dressing and take home, and that time I actually did get the runs the morning after, no pain though only a quick rush and a 3-4 bowel movements and the shit was out, and I was OK to go again!:P

I haven't had any serious stomach problems for many years with severe pain, fever or fatigue.

I think the 1-2 week tourists are more at risk, not being so used to the local bacteria!

Plahgat

The help yourself salad bar in the basement supermarket of Central is really good, but its expensive.

Friendship supermarket has quite a limited one, but its much cheaper.

Never had any stomach problems with either but I prefer Sizzler's to either but its eat in.

PBG is really all about location, the foods not why people go there, if it was and had no views it wouldn't be nearly so popular.

The waitresses are nice, the menus varied but be warned when the place is busy you can wait a long time from ordering to the food arriving.

In typical Thai style they bring each dish out when its ready so if your not alone your, or your companions, meal can arrive 10/15 or 20 minutes before the other does. I've had that happen several times there

Great place though to sit outside overlooking the bay..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mainly have the issan (e-sarn) food.  And it's very good.  Rarely find anything better and I have tried.  On par with Dinosaur in Buriram (and that's saying a lot!)

Price is higher of course, but you are paying for the view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had their 'Eggplant' dish (on the issan menu).  Took a couple of emphatic nods to assure them that was indeed what I wanted.  I might have been the first non-thai to order that one :P  It was *SPICY!* and very very good.  If you can handle your spicy dialed up to 11 and then some, give it a try :)

Also, oddly, had a hamburger.  The wedges it came with were great.  The burger was good, not great, but not bad.  Much better than Fast Food (McDonalds/BK/etc.).  I'd say almost, but not quite, as good as Sizzler's (Sizzler's bread is better IMO).

I might try a few more farlang dishes in the future, to add variety to my normally thai eating :P

(Side note: Sizzler's is also pretty good here.  Tastes just about the same as the USA and the salad bar is good.  I consume vast quantities of spinach and quail eggs which they are happy to give me).

On 29/03/2017 at 09:37, Ohyesuare said:

Nothing special. Quality has gone down in my opinion. Plenty of places to get better and cheaper thai and falang food. You're just paying for the view and seating. 

Got to agree 

A few years back the meals served up were fairly decent.

After a few bad meals.

Now When  I go to the PBG which is at least 10/12 times a year I just stick with a few beers

and go somewhere else for a feed.