Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Order CT scan without a doctor?

zenzen11

I know it's possible to order my own blood work without a doctor.

Does anyone know if it's possible to order a CT without a doctor?

I broke my neck when I was 21 ..

C2,C3,C5 and C7 ..

I would like to know what it looks like now.

I worked as a CT/MRI tech for 10 years at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics ..

I do not need a doctor to read this scan.

.. I used to scan myself ...

I know I have major anterior bone spurs and arthritis setting in .. just want to see the progression..

And DON'T WANT to talk to any doctors about it ...

They can't tell me anything I do not know .. and just suck the $$$$ away for nothing

Thanks for your help

I'm a Blowfish !!

Blowfish'n this up ...

Only a doctor can order the scan same as in the USA. So sit with him or her for a 10 minute consult after. The consult should cost around 600 baht. Say thank you and leave with your CD of the scan. What's the big deal?

I just don't like the doctors here in Thailand.  

I'm a Blowfish !!

Blowfish'n this up ...

Interesting thread. Can you share why you don't like doctors in Thailand? I have a book written by an expat from Calif where he can't say enough good things about health care in Thailand, dental in this case. I've also read reports that Thai MDs don't give the impression that they listen to their expat patients. 

Have you considered just going to a few imaging centers and asking if you can get a scan without an MD referral? 

I am going back to the USA next month .. so I guess I will just get my friends to do it.

I agree what you said about Thai doctors .. some doctors are definately better than others. And Thai doctors do seem to kind of "Lord it over you" that THEY are the doctor and YOU don't know anything
We have a 1st rate hospital and medical school at the University of Iowa. Our Dentistry school constantly ranks in the top 5 in the nation. Our Orthopedic and Neonatal ICU is in the top 10.
.. I am soooo used to talking to doctors as an EQUAL given respect and responsibility.
..I tend to talk very directly to doctors when I speak with them. The doctors I worked with expected that ..
Thai doctors don't take questioning them very well .

I think a lot of people that praise the Thai medical system were not as lucky as I was to see a real quality healthcare system that works.
... I compare other doctors and hospitals to some of the best in the USA .. and the others usually compare badly..

Thai doctors have a very hard time with the "losing face thing" ..

I'm a Blowfish !!

Blowfish'n this up ...

22 hours ago, zenzen11 said:

We have a 1st rate hospital and medical school at the University of Iowa. Our Dentistry school constantly ranks in the top 5 in the nation. Our Orthopedic and Neonatal ICU is in the top 10.

I think a lot of people that praise the Thai medical system were not as lucky as I was to see a real quality healthcare system that works.
... I compare other doctors and hospitals to some of the best in the USA .. and the others usually compare badly..

Strong work. I also have experience in university teaching hospitals rated in the top 10. There is a huge difference between that quality of care and what you see in facilities that don't rank there. Although I qualify for free medical care I'm picking up Medicare Part B + Medigap F or G to stay in the top 10. ;)

Thoughts on medical care are a big reason I decided against moving to LOS full-time, although periodic visits (with adequate traveler's health insurance) may work better. Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doctors go through 7-10 years of training for a reason. Let them view the results and tell you. Gotta be cheaper to do in Thailand rather than the States (unless its free there )

Doctors go through 7-10 years of training for a reason. Let them view the results and tell you. Gotta be cheaper to do in Thailand rather than the States (unless its free there )

I have taken CTs and MRIs art a top 10 University hospital in the USA.. I worked the 3rd shift and was often given the responsibility of "first read" ..
Meaning, 1/2 of my job was READING the CT/MRI I just took and consult with the ordering Doc .. who was usually the Neurosurgeon or general Surgeon.
After I read it . I was RESPONSIBLE for reading it and then triaging the study to the appropriate Doctor ..
Quite often the actual radiologist would not see the study for hours after it was done.

I can read a CT/MRI good enough to know something is not correct and needs someone other than me to look at it ..
... I do not need or want some Thai doctor wasting my time .
And taking my money

Like I said.. I go home in April. I will be there for a month... I can still go in to the hospital art night and get scanned ... and if I ( and the other techs) think there is something to worry about ... I will get an ER doc to order a scan

I'm a Blowfish !!

Blowfish'n this up ...

Archived