Pattaya Live Streams >> Pattaya Girls Livestreaming

IGNORED

international driving permit

fun125

hi i just got one from the post office in the uk apparently ok for use in thailand anyone ever used one or any info about the police ? and if they are ok with them thanks

I can't answer about using a UK "IDP", but I have been stopped a few times driving a car in Thailand and have shown it to the police and was accepted. I only had to show them the permit and not my drivers license.  Also once on a motorbike.

I think the rule is that you have the IDP along with your regular drivers license. In the US you have to renew it every year. The cost here is $20 plus 2 passport size photos and the front and back side of you driver's license. My permit is for both motorcycle and automobile.

I rent a car for a few days on each my trips each year and the car rental place also uses (copy) my driving permit and passport for the rental.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

If you have car and motorcycle on your UK license, it's good for car and motorcycle here. If you only have car on your UK license, it's only good for car here. This is second hand information from my UK friend UdonTony. I know the above is true for US license holders from my own experience.

My own IDP is long since expired, my best advice is that if you're here more than once a year, just get a Thai license. When you already have an IDP from your own country, it's quite simple, and not that expensive. Plus you get a cool souvenir to bring back home and show off. :-)

2 hours ago, fun125 said:

hi i just got one from the post office in the uk apparently ok for use in thailand anyone ever used one or any info about the police ? and if they are ok with them thanks

Yep ,u should be fine with.

Been stopped twice with a motorbike in Pattaya and show only my international driving licence.

No problems 

good to know i done the right thing to get licence . boys in brown love to take money from farlang 

• 2 months later...

There are constantly police stopping bikes in the Pattaya Tai and in the beginning of second road where it's 2 way. I have been stopped countless times in 3 weeks. Don't drive motobike, if you don't have the IDP. 400bht/pop and you have to go to pay immediatelly in soi9 police station(sometimes huge queues and long wait).

I have started to drive 3rd road just not to be hassled with police. I also plan to get thai licence ASAP.

12 minutes ago, jpmelville said:

There are constantly police stopping bikes in the Pattaya Tai and in the beginning of second road where it's 2 way. I have been stopped countless times in 3 weeks. Don't drive motobike, if you don't have the IDP. 400bht/pop and you have to go to pay immediatelly in soi9 police station(sometimes huge queues and long wait).

I have started to drive 3rd road just not to be hassled with police. I also plan to get thai licence ASAP.

Absolutely correct if you plan on driving in Thailand for a cost of £5.50 in the U.K. It's better to have one. The one time I was stopped it was all I had in the car and Plod was quite happy to accept it. Went in the cop shop to pay the fine first sign on the wall said 1000thb or 1 month jail if not having a valid driving licence figure that out.

Best money you will spend if you plan to drive a car or motorbike. I was stopped twice in chiang mai last week by the numerous daily checkpoints on the moat,  one flash of the IDP and I was on my way.  

I would prefer swimming with piranhas than driving in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Gright said:

I would prefer swimming with piranhas than driving in Thailand.

Its not all bad driving a car once you get out of Pattaya.

That is, "as long as you have the mind set that you're driving in the Indy 500 or at the Daytona International Racetrack.

Since I do it every trip, I can safely say, "Its not like going out for a Sunday afternoon drive, more like white knuckle driving.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

Best to have international lic,as many insurance companies will not  cover you if you don't have one , incase of accident, Should get bike Lic if riding Bikes too or Insurance can get out of cover. Better safe than sorry ,also easier to deal with BIB,and get Thai Lic with International Lic :)

IDP and a Thai driving license are the only 2 legally accepted documents for driving in Thailand.

In the bush (outside of Pattaya and other big cities) you can still get away with showing your UK license but this is becoming more difficult to get away with.

I like them, as juicy as a freshwater clam!

Last 12 to 18 months police in areas outside Udon have been asking for both the IDP and my aussie licence. Prior to that just the IDP was fine. No big deal I just keep them together in a folder and hand it to them. Been no issues with them accepting them after what looks like them checking the date on the IDP.

Nowadays the police often asks for an int. license.
I always bring my european license plus the international one, never a problem since then.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally have never had an issue with IDP. When I ride in LOS I carry my Aussie Licence (Car and MB) with me and never has a problem with police.

I was under the impression you only needed an IDP for Travel insurance reasons. I have never had to take mine out of the hotel Safe

Come see me at Sweet Bar Soi 6 Facebook 

Sweetbarsoi6.png

Archived