IGNORED

Site functionality (was "Major upgrade coming")

@keepitfun @Geordie59

I think it comes down to where you look e.g.

If you look at a specific forum you will see when/who created a thread
ca.png

Whereas, when using "View new content" that information is not shown as not deemed relevant.

^^^ Fair enough....but...

funny how  bkk addicts deems it relevant in view new content view

and it would stop me replying to ancient threads that some newbie in search of 50 has dug up.....

maybe that would make it relevant ... I bet I’m not the only BM that uses the new content view regularly.

8 minutes ago, keepitfun said:

^^^ Fair enough....but...

funny how  bkk addicts deems it relevant in view new content view

and it would stop me replying to ancient threads that some newbie in search of 50 has dug up.....

maybe that would make it relevant ... I bet I’m not the only BM that uses the new content view regularly.

Deemed not relevant by the software developers not us; Bkk Addicts is running a good few versions behind by the looks of it.

Now for the good news; it has been mooted BA will be "updated soon". I did mention that the guys asking about it here will be asking about it on BA then.

2 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

@keepitfun @Geordie59

I think it comes down to where you look e.g.

If you look at a specific forum you will see when/who created a thread
ca.png

Whereas, when using "View new content" that information is not shown as not deemed relevant.

That is exactly what I was asking for as 95% of what I go to in PA is viewed via the View New Content tab.
I agree fully with keptfun's comments above.
Not only BA has this but Philippines Addicts does as well.
A good current example where this useful is the thread from La Mok warning od the big upgrade coming soon. When you look into it the original post was made in 2017 and is irrelevant now but as someone made a recent entry is shows up in the View New Content tab.

18 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

That is exactly what I was asking for as 95% of what I go to in PA is viewed via the View New Content tab.
I agree fully with keptfun's comments above.
Not only BA has this but Philippines Addicts does as well.
A good current example where this useful is the thread from La Mok warning od the big upgrade coming soon. When you look into it the original post was made in 2017 and is irrelevant now but as someone made a recent entry is shows up in the View New Content tab.

Both BA and Phils-A are running old versions of the software so we can't fix it just because old versions have it.

We MIGHT be able to sort it out but the argument that the other two forums still have it is invalid I'm afraid. We are rather hand-tied by what the software does.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

25 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

You mean the thread we are posting in now  :D

I use "New content" 99% of the time, the fact a thread is old (and I do hate the twats that are into thread necrophilia) does not mean someones question doesn't deserve attention whether it to answer his query or to point out he's a dick dragging up a 3 year old thread just to say "She's hot".

Personally I prefer threads to be locked after a year or two of inactivity but that's not the current policy.

6 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

You mean the thread we are posting in now  :D

Oops!
These type of discussions probably lost their proper place when the Shoutbox close many years ago. The reason for that was explained at the time.
If the software won't allow it then so be it, but I see no harm in having a place where people can put suggested improvement to Admin. I could start a new thread but that would soon be lost in the avalanche of new posts and threads.

1 minute ago, Geordie59 said:

Oops!

Rather than looking at this case as another case of thread necrophilia look on it as it was an opportunity for some issues to be raised and clarification given.

4 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

but I see no harm in having a place where people can put suggested improvement to Admin.

Funnily enough I was going to suggest something along those lines to the team but given the recent upgrades and resulting issues been holding off until things calm down on the stability side of things. Couple of options in mind; a notification to all will go out if a decision is made to go with one of them.

On 22/04/2019 at 23:58, Danolo said:

I would like to see that back.  When I finish a thread the "Next Topic" doesn't tell me the subject. And, once I enter that thread, there still is no identification if the subject.

I guess its not as big deal..

As I thought, the software developers in their wisdom ditched this functionality in the major upgrade. From the release notes:

Removed the name of the content (e.g. topic) from the “Next Unread” link which could consume significant server resources on large communities.

Personally I hate it when developers just ditch functionality rather than make it a setting but not much we can do about it.

• Ru4Real changed the title to Site functionality (was "Major upgrade coming")
  • Ru4Real unpinned this topic

Archived