Joethescot

Golf trip report- would it be of interest?

bossofzip
My 1st week is booked.

Monday Pattana

Tuesday....Silky Oak

Wednesday......Pleasant Valley

Thursday...Emerald

Friday....Eastern Star

Also half the following week

Monday...Khao Kheow

Tuesday ...Burapha

Wednesday...Phoenix

1st time in 14 trips we're giving Laem Chabang a miss.....cost in excess of 4500 baht and a set price smorgasborg (LESS drinks) for lunch has just about buggered it for us cheap bastards[/quote)

Plenty golf over the 10 days,which course out of the 8 do you think is the stand out?

I personally played well at Burapha found it a decent course however isn't every course you play well on a good course haha. My 1st ever round in Thailand was at Khao Kheow found it a fucking nightmare experience. Reason for this was everything sweating,grass,greens and having a caddy was all alien to me as I was playing links golf in Scotland 2 days before I shot 92 worst round in years. After the round I nearly cancelled the other rounds of golf it was so unenjoyable,thankfully I didn't and it just took a few rounds sort it out.

Be good to see some photos of the course and such dude. I'm always interested in what clubs other golfers use. I might start a thread on it...

It's got to be Khao Kheow 

always maintained KK & Treasure Hill the best 2 tests of golf in the area 

Nothing in your post to make me alter that opinion

warmn40s

@joethescot ... I don't play out of any of the bars if I can help it.  

My mate has a car or I simply hire a car.

We play in the afternoons, 12.30-1pm tee off ... so I can sleep in and there is usually hardly anyone else playing PM ... so finished in 31/2 - 4 hours ... millionaires golf !!

Leave Patts at 11.30am back at 5.30 - 6pm.

After many trips I am so over having to wake up at 7am to get to the bar by say 8.15am ... then wait to take off to the course, then wait for 4/5 groups ahead of me to tee off, then wait for everyone to finish, and get back to Patts 8 hours after I left ... the day is too long ... especially if you want to play 3/4 days a week. 

Skalliwag

@joethescot ... I don't play out of any of the bars if I can help it.  

My mate has a car or I simply hire a car.

We play in the afternoons, 12.30-1pm tee off ... so I can sleep in and there is usually hardly anyone else playing PM ... so finished in 31/2 - 4 hours ... millionaires golf !!

Leave Patts at 11.30am back at 5.30 - 6pm.

After many trips I am so over having to wake up at 7am to get to the bar by say 8.15am ... then wait to take off to the course, then wait for 4/5 groups ahead of me to tee off, then wait for everyone to finish, and get back to Patts 8 hours after I left ... the day is too long ... especially if you want to play 3/4 days a week.

I couldn't agree more.

Society golf is fine,and we will play Society golf,but we tee off when they are finishing and phone our scores in if we have any that are any good.

Joethescot

I couldn't agree more.

Society golf is fine,and we will play Society golf,but we tee off when they are finishing and phone our scores in if we have any that are any good.

What you guys have said is perfect if you aren't a solo traveller as I am. So I use the bars so that I can play golf with people.

I don't mind the 7am alarm as I play on a Monday,Wednesday and a Friday. This mean for me that on these days I go crazier at night after having a nap at tea time,than the night before the golf where I will spend the afternoon on the booze around Soi 6.

I have also meet some of the people I enjoy I night or day out with via the golf.

However I totally get what yourself Warmn are saying

Edited by Joethescot

maxtroy

Guys I'm over in May for 14 nights and will play 6 rounds of golf. Now I love reading the TR of people mongering in Pattaya and thought about doing one but just feel it would be to much of a pain in the ass for a selfish person like me 555

However I thought well what about a golf TR, plan on putting in it photos of the course,transport,caddy,facilities and food at course. I will add in how I played and found the course,however not lots as don't want to send people to sleep from me talking about my game.

Good TR need photos I think we would all agree and it's easier to take photos and less awkward at a golf course compared to a girl in your room.

I will also add the bar I played with and price all in for the whole morning/afternoon will break it down into

Transport

Green fee

Cart

Caddy

Caddy tip

Drinks and food.

This won't take me long to do and I will try and make it light hearted.

Thoughts?? Or any ideas on how to make it a good read?

Joencor

Good idea . I would also include whether there was a competition fee or not . Most bars have a competition fee . For example Haven on Soi Lengkee has a 200 baht competition fee but you get your first beer on the house when you return to the bar .  Links bar on Soi Buakhow has a 250 baht competition fee but provides a small meal when you return to the bar  . 

You might want to address ease of booking as well . Haven allows you to show up by 08:00 a.m. on the day of play and gets you out whereas Links wants your name on a sign up sheet the day before

you want to play. 

Edited by maxtroy

farcanal
On 2/28/2017 at 7:48 PM, Joethescot said:

Guys I'm over in May for 14 nights and will play 6 rounds of golf. Now I love reading the TR of people mongering in Pattaya and thought about doing one but just feel it would be to much of a pain in the ass for a selfish person like me 555

However I thought well what about a golf TR, plan on putting in it photos of the course,transport,caddy,facilities and food at course. I will add in how I played and found the course,however not lots as don't want to send people to sleep from me talking about my game.

Good TR need photos I think we would all agree and it's easier to take photos and less awkward at a golf course compared to a girl in your room.

I will also add the bar I played with and price all in for the whole morning/afternoon will break it down into

Transport

Green fee

Cart

Caddy

Caddy tip

Drinks and food.

Joe

Just bumping this thread before my 1st report.

farcanal

As promised...1st report.

Day 1, Pattana.

Always one of our favourites, the staff could not be more friendly, booking is easy via email and we have our 4 preferred caddies ready and waiting.

Cost gf 1600, caddie 350, cart 600.

We had our regular taxi driver, Mr Sun, knows all the golf courses and is always at our hotel way before the pick up time of 7.30am.

The 331 was particularly busy this Monday so the normal 45 minute drive took an hour...no probs, still plenty of time.

Love this course always well presented, but I feel a couple of greens are ridiculous, in particular the par 3 2nd on the "C" nine. If you're at the back of the green and the hole is near the middle of the green it's impossible to get your ball near the hole. EVERYTHING runs off the front. There's a few holes like this around Pattaya and to me it's just unnecessary. The 7th at Emerald is the same.

Anyway, you learn to play this particular par 3 by playing short and chipping up the slope.

The 9th on the "B" course is an optional par 6......you can play from a new tee box and it's changed from a par 5 to a par 6.

We chose this option and yours truly smacked the driver 3 times and chipped in for an eagle.....sometimes this game is so easy.

I'll try to add some pics.IMG_0739.jpg

These 2 are sisters...they know their stuff and good fun.IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0760.jpgIMG_0753.jpg

farcanal

Day 2 Silky Oak

We played this course the year it opened and hated the shared fairways. After a few enquiries and speaking to a mate who had played it late last year we decided to give it another go. Price was very good.

GF 800, caddie 350, cart 600.

Travel time 40 minutes from Pattaya....despite the bad roadworks on route 36. I hope they fix this soon, a real balls up atm.

Only 1 caddie booked, the lovely Fon, number 91 for me. The other guys had to take pot luck off the caddie rank.

I must say the fairways were excellent, very lush...many tee shots over water, would be tough from the back tees.

The view from the par 3, 14th green is absolutely awesome....but it's some sort of tee shot to get up there. A new refreshment house is also under construction near the green as we speak. The par 3, 6th is a bit of a "pitch and put" but still an interesting golf hole.

IMHO this course can only get better...which will probably put the fees up similar to the other 2 courses here....St Andrews 2000 and Rayong Green Valley. We will definitely go back. Restaurant and locker rooms a bit shabby, but a nice lunch can be had cheaply.

Mates caddie drove straight into the 100 yd marker

IMG_0765.jpg

14th green

PaIMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

par 3 6th

IMG_0768.jpg

Edited by farcanal

Joethescot
5 hours ago, farcanal said:

As promised...1st report.

Day 1, Pattana.

Always one of our favourites, the staff could not be more friendly, booking is easy via email and we have our 4 preferred caddies ready and waiting.

Cost gf 1600, caddie 350, cart 600.

We had our regular taxi driver, Mr Sun, knows all the golf courses and is always at our hotel way before the pick up time of 7.30am.

The 331 was particularly busy this Monday so the normal 45 minute drive took an hour...no probs, still plenty of time.

Love this course always well presented, but I feel a couple of greens are ridiculous, in particular the par 3 2nd on the "C" nine. If you're at the back of the green and the hole is near the middle of the green it's impossible to get your ball near the hole. EVERYTHING runs off the front. There's a few holes like this around Pattaya and to me it's just unnecessary. The 7th at Emerald is the same.

Anyway, you learn to play this particular par 3 by playing short and chipping up the slope.

The 9th on the "B" course is an optional par 6......you can play from a new tee box and it's changed from a par 5 to a par 6.

We chose this option and yours truly smacked the driver 3 times and chipped in for an eagle.....sometimes this game is so easy.

I'll try to add some pics.IMG_0739.jpg

These 2 are sisters...they know their stuff and good fun.IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0760.jpgIMG_0753.jpg

The pics aren't showing up. Excellent first days report!! Keep,them coming  dude. I'm over in 36 days woo hooboo 

farcanal
14 hours ago, Joethescot said:

The pics aren't showing up. Excellent first days report!! Keep,them coming  dude. I'm over in 36 days woo hooboo 

Well that sucks.....the old site made it easy to add pics.

I'll have to try again

farcanal

OK....another attempt at posting pics

Pattana caddies

IMG_0759.jpg

farcanal

Right...the pic is in my post now....let's see how long it lasts

snowizard

Great report. Just cut the 90ies in counting down days for next tee off on Silky Oak. It is a somewhat different course, it's hard to describe why. Starts with this neverending drive to first hole, then it is the paralell fairways which can be shared, then its the blind tee off on a par three and all the water that must be crossed. One really need balls to play from backtee here. ;)

Looking forward to next report. 

farcanal

Before my next report I'll try to bring the pics up to date

farcanal

These 2 love to flirt

IMG_0744.jpg

farcanal

The "Captain" ......salutes and opens the front door

IMG_0762.jpg

farcanal

Cute as....

IMG_0753.jpg

farcanal

Par 3....87 yards...tricky

Silky Oak

IMG_0768.jpg

farcanal

"House" on the hill...refreshment hut at par 3 14th. Fantastic 360* views from here

IMG_0776.jpg

farcanal

100 yard marker...she wasn't even pissed

IMG_0765.jpg

farcanal

Easy hole if you can carry the water....all about the line

IMG_0777.jpg

farcanal

Awesome views....from the 14th green

IMG_0771.jpg

Captain Courageous
On 28/02/2017 at 9:48 PM, Joethescot said:

Transport

Green fee

Cart

Caddy

Caddy tip

Drinks and food.

Joe

Sure, take along a Beretta DB Shotgun to make it more interesting......

SirL

I've never played golf in Thailand, so please forgive an ignorant question:

You're hiring both a caddy and a cart, the caddy I guess driving just one golfer around.  I thought the idea of hiring a caddy was that they carried the clubs.  If the clubs are on the cart, wouldn't you prefer to drive yourself so you get two golfers per cart?  Is it not allowed to hire just one of caddy and cart?