Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

VT6 vs The Base

sjoberg

3 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I always book months ahead. I still can't find anything cheap on airbnb in the central areas.. meaning.. from WS to Soi 6 and BR to Soi Buakhao.. Sure if you wanted to stay in Jomtien or Third Road you might find something. I see condos for 16-18k on RFTH... with utilities it brings it to 19-21k.. I can't find anything in that range on airbnb.

As for The Base RFTH v Airbnb, you've got to be careful you're comparing similar quality of condos, ie have both condos got the big southwards view, wifi, the 35sq m balcony etc, compare like with like.  Are you sure that RFTH is cheaper than Airbnb for a like for like comparable condo?

I think your 16-18k prices on RFTH are for low condos without private wifi or the view, that I wouldn't want to stay in.  I discard those low small Base condos immediately.

"I still can't find anything cheap on airbnb in the central areas" Apart from the cheap small wifiless Base condos, is there any website etc on which you can find anything central cheaper than Airbnb months in advance?  I think the problem is the in advance bit, rather than Airbnb.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for The Base RFTH v Airbnb, you've got to be careful you're comparing similar quality of condos, ie have both condos got the big southwards view, wifi, the 35sq m balcony etc, compare like with like.  Are you sure that RFTH is cheaper than Airbnb for a like for like comparable condo?
I think your 16-18k prices on RFTH are for low condos without private wifi or the view, that I wouldn't want to stay in.  I discard those low small Base condos immediately.
"I still can't find anything cheap on airbnb in the central areas" Apart from the cheap small wifiless Base condos, is there any website etc on which you can find anything central cheaper than Airbnb months in advance?  I think the problem is the in advance bit, rather than Airbnb.
It is hard to compare like that because airbnb doesn't have any 16-18k type condos. It seems like only the guys with the higher end condos are posting on airbnb. As for your specification, those condos go for 25k+ on RFTH. I still can't find that pricing on airbnb even in advance.

I'm have been very happy overtime that i have rented with vt6,     perfect location for me and very modern apartments..     everything i need on the main floor and great view
How much are you paying and how far in advance did you book?

I'd like links for units at base and vt6. I'm still researching a place for my first trip. I'll be staying 3 weeks in mid November/ March. 

16 minutes ago, Topcat72m said:

I'd like links for units at base and vt6. I'm still researching a place for my first trip. I'll be staying 3 weeks in mid November/ March. 

http://www.honeyscoffeehouse.com/

http://dancewatchers.com/

http://condo6.com

https://www.rentalfortheholidays.com/en/apartment/thailand/pattaya/pattaya-beach/the-base-central-pattaya

There are others.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

RFTH doesn't rent for anything less than a month. Anything less and you might need to do VT6 or airbnb.

The problem with condo6 and sites like them is that you don't actually know if the condos listed are available. Most are listed by agents. At least with RFTH, you know what you see is available.

2 hours ago, hioctane said:
2 hours ago, chillibowl said:
I'm have been very happy overtime that i have rented with vt6,     perfect location for me and very modern apartments..     everything i need on the main floor and great view

How much are you paying and how far in advance did you book?

last year in november i paid 40 usd a night,    this past april i paid 55 usd per night,      each time i booked about 2 weeks before arrival     (booked thru Airbnb)

All the VT6 rooms I looked at seemed to be 1.5x or 2x the price I was looking at for Base or Soi 15 rooms.  I'd agree the location of VT6 is better, but the rooms I looked at (on Honey and Dancewatchers) weren't furnished in a way that suited me, and so overall while they are a little bit better, they just didn't seem to me to be enough better to justify that higher price.  If money was no object, yes then VT6, but I can't see the value in VT6 if money isn't growing on trees.  The guys on here who are enthusiastic about VT6 never seem to have compared the prices to the Soi 15 alternatives.

Do the Air BnB advertisements generally mention which building the apartment is in? (I thought there was some rule against providing a precise location.)

Or is it a matter of simply knowing what building it is based on the photos, or asking the owner?

59 minutes ago, DrBig said:

All the VT6 rooms I looked at seemed to be 1.5x or 2x the price I was looking at for Base or Soi 15 rooms.  I'd agree the location of VT6 is better, but the rooms I looked at (on Honey and Dancewatchers) weren't furnished in a way that suited me, and so overall while they are a little bit better, they just didn't seem to me to be enough better to justify that higher price.  If money was no object, yes then VT6, but I can't see the value in VT6 if money isn't growing on trees.  The guys on here who are enthusiastic about VT6 never seem to have compared the prices to the Soi 15 alternatives.

LIke you said money is no object for some and money IS growing on trees for certain punters. I've looked at other places but IMO you can't beat VT6's location and the sizes of rooms are to my liking compared to the small rooms at places like The Base or Soi 15. Those great positives are worth the prices IME. 

Keep in mind I've established a relationship with  vendors like Tik @ Dancewatchers and my girl Thip at viewtalaysix.com and there are rooms available that are not posted on rental companies websites and lower prices for repeat customers(shoutout BM Socrates). Keep in mind you do have to establish yourself as a repeat customer and YMMV.  At the end of the day if your happy with the place you choose and it fits your budget, easy day.

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

10 minutes ago, JustL said:

LIke you said money is no object for some and money IS growing on trees for certain punters. I've looked at other places but IMO you can't beat VT6's location and the sizes of rooms are to my liking compared to the small rooms at places like The Base or Soi 15. Those great positives are worth the prices IME. 

Keep in mind I've established a relationship with  vendors like Tik @ Dancewatchers and my girl Thip at viewtalaysix.com and there are rooms available that are not posted on rental companies websites and lower prices for repeat customers(shoutout BM Socrates). Keep in mind you do have to establish yourself as a repeat customer and YMMV.  At the end of the day if your happy with the place you choose and it fits your budget, easy day.

Spot on.

People have different budgets and there are places for everyone.

I have posted pics of the place I stayed in VT6. I got a good discount, it actually turned out cheaper than a budget room and me being a barfly during the daytime, as we invited friends round to us.

9 hours ago, Sticky Fingers said:

Do the Air BnB advertisements generally mention which building the apartment is in? (I thought there was some rule against providing a precise location.)

Or is it a matter of simply knowing what building it is based on the photos, or asking the owner?

If this is talking about The Base, no the AirBnB listings usually are not clear which building it's in, but (if you know the place) it's pretty straightforward usually to work it out from the pics.  Or you can of course ask the owner, but that takes longer than going via the pics.  Post a link here to any Base condo you're interested in, I expect I can work it out from the pics.

7 hours ago, GorGuy said:

I have posted pics of the place I stayed in VT6. I got a good discount, it actually turned out cheaper than a budget room and me being a barfly during the daytime, as we invited friends round to us.

Could you post a link to this VT6 condo please?

If you’re not familiar with condo buildings in Pattaya be very careful relying on the map on AirBnB for location. Some are, literally, miles off!

I’ve seen more than one condo shown on the map in Central Pattaya when they are actually in Jomtien.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

3 hours ago, DrBig said:

If this is talking about The Base, no the AirBnB listings usually are not clear which building it's in, but (if you know the place) it's pretty straightforward usually to work it out from the pics.  Or you can of course ask the owner, but that takes longer than going via the pics.  Post a link here to any Base condo you're interested in, I expect I can work it out from the pics.

Thanks.

I was thinking more in regards to the other "Soi 15 condos" mentioned in the thread recently - the thread has broadened a little beyond VT6 vs The Base - that location/Soi 15 is attractive for me.

Probably the easiest identifying pic for these places is the swimming pool. I've heard okay things about Centara, so I'm hoping to search for an apartment there. The pool area is quick distinctive.

4 minutes ago, Sticky Fingers said:

Thanks.

I was thinking more in regards to the other "Soi 15 condos" mentioned in the thread recently - the thread has broadened a little beyond VT6 vs The Base - that location/Soi 15 is attractive for me.

Post links to specific condos you're interested in!

I read this review on AirBnB for an apartment at The Base.

"This was a great apartment once I was able to get in :-) New crackdowns on Airbnb in the area have gotten the condominium owners a bit on edge and they are making sure you have a room key before entering the complex. For me it meant putting the owner on the cell phone with the security guards, leaving a photocopy of my passport, etc. if I had said I was associated with Airbnb in any way shape or form I probably would have been rejected. My advice to you is to make sure you exchange the room key before coming to the location. Showing the room key is all you need to do. Don't get dropped off from your taxi near the building it will just raise questions."

Is this something to be concerned about, or an outlier experience? Any thoughts much appreciated.

"This was a great apartment once I was able to get in :-) New crackdowns on Airbnb in the area have gotten the condominium owners a bit on edge and they are making sure you have a room key before entering the complex. For me it meant putting the owner on the cell phone with the security guards, leaving a photocopy of my passport, etc. if I had said I was associated with Airbnb in any way shape or form I probably would have been rejected. My advice to you is to make sure you exchange the room key before coming to the location. Showing the room key is all you need to do. Don't get dropped off from your taxi near the building it will just raise questions."

Is this something to be concerned about, or an outlier experience? Any thoughts much appreciated.

I am not sure what he means by exchange the room key. I was there in September. There were signs all over that say daily rentals are illegal. I rented for a month so didn't have a problem... but I saw plenty of people checking in everyday. You get a keycard which you need to open the door and access the elevator. Your key is attached to it. Just flash your keycard to security when you walk by. After a while, they recognized me and I just walked in.

Edit:

I think he meant to meet the owner outside and away from the condo. I guess it is a good idea if you rent daily through airbnb.. I just showed the guards my reservation with RFTH (rental arm of condo) and they let me in.

43 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I think he meant to meet the owner outside and away from the condo. I guess it is a good idea if you rent daily through airbnb.. I just showed the guards my reservation with RFTH (rental arm of condo) and they let me in.

Yes, I think that is what he means.

Getting dropped off by a taxi/Bell Bus at the front door with a suitcase would probably signal "TOURIST" to the security guards, although you could equally be a resident returning home from a vacation.

8 hours ago, Sticky Fingers said:

I think this is more the AIrBnB owner's problem than yours, but still of course your booking not working out for any reason is a big problem for you.

I'm surprised AirBnB owners are still expecting renters to turn up and get through the front gate security.  I'd insist with your owner on meeting in a Starbucks around the corner or something like that.

PS I don't think its the condo owners that are a bit on edge.  I expect a majority of them are wanting AirBnB rentals to take place.  It's the management company that are trying to prevent AirBnB rentals, which would of course benefit Rental For The Holidays, which is owned by some remarkable coincidence by the management company.

I was just thinking about the price of VT6 condos.  Is it true that Honey approx doubles the price of their VT6 condos in New Year high season, whilst AirBnB Base owners only put up their prices by a little, if at all?  If so it'll be high season visitors, like me, that think VT6 is much more expensive, and rest of the year visitors will wonder what the fuss is all about because the two blocks are for them much more similarly priced?

26 minutes ago, DrBig said:

I think this is more the AIrBnB owner's problem than yours, but still of course your booking not working out for any reason is a big problem for you.

I'm surprised AirBnB owners are still expecting renters to turn up and get through the front gate security.  I'd insist with your owner on meeting in a Starbucks around the corner or something like that.

PS I don't think its the condo owners that are a bit on edge.  I expect a majority of them are wanting AirBnB rentals to take place.  It's the management company that are trying to prevent AirBnB rentals, which would of course benefit Rental For The Holidays, which is owned by some remarkable coincidence by the management company.

I didn’t have any problem using Airbnb at the Base.  In fact the juristic office helped me with the tm30 registration even though I didn’t rent through them.

This is something that airbnb is struggling with all over the world. The hotel industry has caused many localities to ban daily rentals. Owners can get fined for renting by the day.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts about this condo at VT6?  In particular., any noise/construction issues that I should be aware of?

http://dancewatchers.com/vt6_13-450_luxury_sea_view_studio.html

It's not the luxury ones that some of you guys rent, but it's as much as I can afford/available for my dates.

3 minutes ago, Sticky Fingers said:

Does anyone have experience/thoughts about this condo at VT6?  In particular., any noise/construction issues that I should be aware of?

http://dancewatchers.com/vt6_13-450_luxury_sea_view_studio.html

It's not the luxury ones that some of you guys rent, but it's as much as I can afford/available for my dates.

Shouldn't be any noise or construction issues. Room looks good to me. Be aware there are extra fees though like all dancewatcher condos.

Archived