IGNORED

VT6 vs The Base

sjoberg

48 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I plan to stay in the upper floors with a view this September.

You'd better get booking then now.  The Base condo I had, which was at a stand-out low price, is booked almost a year ahead.

29 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

How is the gym? What equipment does it have? 

i've seen a few pics online but difficult to tell how good it is....

I trundled around the gym a few times but I'm no expert so I won't offer an opinion on it.  For basic people like me who just wanted to vaguely do a bit on the treadmill it was fine, but I've read (more advanced gym guys?) writing that it was a bit small and too many (not attractive) ladies doing a gentle ladies workout and blocking equipment.

53 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

thanks! you almost have me sold. Now just to get rid of the pesky voice in my head of my friend who says "dont' do it!' 555

I'm not meaning to do a sales job for The Base!  If it wasn't clear, I'm staying next time at the Avenue Residence where my condo is larger, cheaper, closer to WS and has better furniture.  The Base condo is smaller, more expensive (except for the one cheap one I found before), a longer walk to WS and has a poor sofa and desk aka kitchen table.  The only advantage of The Base is that view.

I've just answered a few specific questions of yours.  Is the size of The Base bedroom a problem?  No, not really, but certainly a few more sq metres would be nice.  It would be nice if The Base was a little cheaper, as compared to the Soi 15 places.  It would be nice if The Base had a back entrance directly to LK Metro, and was closer to WS.  It would be nice if it had less interior walls.  There are a lot of it would be nices if The Base was slightly different - none of these things are really problems, but weighing it all up I've chosen to go elsewhere next time.  I would have booked exactly the condo I had last time again but it's unavailable and all the other Base ones I've found (high, south side, with private internet) are quite a bit more expensive, so it's close but my decision is not to book The Base again.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Uncle-V said:

How is the gym? What equipment does it have? 

i've seen a few pics online but difficult to tell how good it is....

The Base gym is pretty small with all new Matrix equipment but it will go downhill quickly if not maintained.

·         3 treadmills

·         1 recumbent bike

·         2 upright bikes

·         2 orbital trainers

·         2 machines

·         1 Slant board for situps

·         1 Bench

·         Dumbbells

I stayed at The Base (Nov 2016) and City Garden (Nov 2015) for 1 month and I think City Garden’s gym might be a little larger.  Both City Garden and The Base Gyms had 2 AC units in the gym, but The Base juristic office turned off one AC unit to save energy and it got a little warm.  The Base gym is rather small considering there are +1100 units when crowded.  Hardly anyone brought a towel to The Base gym to wipe down the equipment and the cleaning lady only to wipes the glass and mirrors and sweeps the floor.  The Base gym can get crowded with mothers who bring her 2 yr old, personal trainer with their student, and people leaving their cellphone on the gym equipment. 

2 minutes ago, joeaf said:

The Base gym is pretty small with all new Matrix equipment but it will go downhill quickly if not maintained.

3 treadmills

·         1 recumbent bike

·         2 upright bikes

·         2 orbital trainers

·         2 machines

·         1 Slant board for situps

·         1 Bench

·         Dumbbells

I stayed at The Base (Nov 2016) and City Garden (Nov 2015) for 1 month and I think City Garden’s gym might be a little larger.  Both City Garden and The Base gyms had 2 AC units in the gym, but The Base juristic office turned off one AC unit to save energy and it got a little warm.  The Base gym is rather small considering there are +1100 units when crowded.  Hardly anyone brought a towel to The Base gym to wipe down the equipment and the cleaning lady only to wipes the glass and mirrors and sweeps the floor.  The Base gym can get crowded with mothers who bring her 2 yr old, personal trainer with their student, and people leaving their cellphone on the gym equipment. 

thansk so much for the comprehensive overview. It does sound like City Gardens' gym is better as there usually is only one or two people there max. In any case I will be getting a one month membership to the avenue and will probably only use the bench and dumbbells at the Base gym for lighter workout days. 

I'm not meaning to do a sales job for The Base!  If it wasn't clear, I'm staying next time at the Avenue Residence where my condo is larger, cheaper, closer to WS and has better furniture.  The Base condo is smaller, more expensive (except for the one cheap one I found before), a longer walk to WS and has a poor sofa and desk aka kitchen table.  The only advantage of The Base is that view.
I've just answered a few specific questions of yours.  Is the size of The Base bedroom a problem?  No, not really, but certainly a few more sq metres would be nice.  It would be nice if The Base was a little cheaper, as compared to the soi 15 places.  It would be nice if The Base had a back entrance directly to LK Metro, and was closer to WS.  It would be nice if it had less interior walls.  There are a lot of it would be nices if The Base was slightly different - none of these things are really problems, but weighing it all up I've chosen to go elsewhere next time.  I would have booked exactly the condo I had last time again but it's unavailable and all the other Base ones I've found (high, south side, with private internet) are quite a bit more expensive, so it's close but my decision is not to book The Base again.

When I last checked, there were a dozen or so condos in my price range (and met my requirements with a view). I will probably book in the next 2 weeks.

Doesn't the furniture depend on the owner?

For me, the location is perfect. Midway between WS and Soi 6 and close to LK.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Doesn't the furniture depend on the owner? Yes, of course, but I think you'll find a big majority of owners use the standard pack of furniture which includes an IMO unconvincing sofa bed. I think you'll find most of your dozen include the same sofa that I don't like.

For me, the location is perfect. Midway between WS and Soi 6 and close to LK.  It is nearly midway, but since I always took a baht bus up to soi 6 but always walked to WS, closer to WS would be better for me.  The walk around from the Base towers to LK Metro is surprisingly long.

On 6/6/2017 at 23:12, hioctane said:

For me, the location is perfect. Midway between WS and Soi 6 and close to LK.

Another advantage of the Soi 15 condo location over The Base's location is that from The Base getting to Jomtien is a bit awkward - do you walk Second Rd or take baht bus on Beach Rd to the starting point for the Jomtien baht buses? Just walking down to Beach Rd is a bore and the baht bus takes ages to get around the Walking St corner.  OTOH walking to that starting point from Soi 15 is much shorter, so breakfast in Jomtien becomes practical.  soi 6 is effectively the same distance away from either, but being nearer WS and the Jomtien baht bus start is very helpful.

Another advantage of the soi 15 condo location over The Base's location is that from The Base getting to Jomtien is a bit awkward - do you walk Second Rd or take baht bus on Beach Rd to the starting point for the Jomtien baht buses? Just walking down to Beach Rd is a bore and the baht bus takes ages to get around the Walking St corner.  OTOH walking to that starting point from soi 15 is much shorter, so breakfast in Jomtien becomes practical.  soi 6 is effectively the same distance away from either, but being nearer WS and the Jomtien baht bus start is very helpful.

I rarely go to Jomtien. A bit closer is to take the Soi Buakhao baht bus that drops you off right at the Jomtien baht bus. I also found staying around the WS area a bit boring daytime. Most of the places tend not to have pools.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I rarely go to Jomtien. A bit closer is to take the Soi Buakhao baht bus that drops you off right at the Jomtien baht bus. I also found staying around the WS area a bit boring daytime. Most of the places tend not to have pools.

From the starting point of The Base towers, the soi Buakhao baht bus is actually further away to walk to than the Beach Rd baht bus, because soi Diana is longer than soi 11 beside Mike mall.  You'll be surprised at how annoying it is that The Base doesn't have a back entrance towards LK Metro

The new-ish condos I'm interested in on Soi 15 all have pools, and they are not much further by foot than The Base to eg Robin's Nest on soi Diana, or LK Metro itself.

I hope to go to Kinnaree a few times.  Is that the best place for daytime action?

21 hours ago, SirL said:

You'll be surprised at how annoying it is that The Base doesn't have a back entrance towards LK Metro.

This right here is the truth!  It was very annoying to be able to see LK Metro from the hallway window and seeing just how close it was.  Only to find out there is no shortcut or alley you could access like VT6's beach road gated access.  That is a long walk, especially when you are returning with a friend for the night.  The walk from 2nd road just to actually reach the Base itself is a good distance.  Especially if you are walking and carrying anything.  The room I stayed in was small but ok and none of the ladies I had over had problems with it.  They all loved the pool and its view from there though.

22 hours ago, SirL said:

From the starting point of The Base towers, the soi Buakhao baht bus is actually further away to walk to than the Beach Rd baht bus, because soi Diana is longer than soi 11 beside Mike mall.  You'll be surprised at how annoying it is that The Base doesn't have a back entrance towards LK Metro. ...

Beach Rd might be closer, but crossing 2nd Rd is always challenging with the traffic.  When you think its safe to cross 2nd Rd, check the other direction for the motobike going against the traffic.  I almost got hit by such motobikes.

The lack of a back entrance might be a safety issue.  Everyone gets screened by the security at the front 2nd Rd entrance.

2 hours ago, joeaf said:

Beach Rd might be closer, but crossing 2nd Rd is always challenging with the traffic.  When you think its safe to cross 2nd Rd, check the other direction for the motobike going against the traffic.  I almost got hit by such motobikes.

The lack of a back entrance might be a safety issue.  Everyone gets screened by the security at the front 2nd Rd entrance.

To be polite, I think issues with traffic density, congestion and crossing roads are bigger problems for our north American friends than those growing up in Europe or Asia where traffic density is heavier and people tend to walk and cross roads more.  I don't find crossing Second Rd easy, but it's not that big a problem!  I think actually it's easier to cross Second Rd when there is more traffic, because then the traffic moves slower.  Around Christmas and NY the traffic on Second Rd opposite The Base was solid congestion crawling along and so easier to cross.  Perhaps at this time of year there is less, faster, traffic?

Yes, I'm sure not building a back entrance was all about security.  You can imagine dodgy people sneaking in that wouldn't try to do so through the existing big formal entrance.

I rent condos  in VT6 now about 20 times and  i was never dissapointed... this time my favorite condo was occupied  so i decided  to stay in the august  suites  Hotel... also nice...lets see.. .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 0:07 PM, SirL said:

You'd better get booking then now.  The Base condo I had, which was at a stand-out low price, is booked almost a year ahead.

I booked 2 weeks ago. Middle floor with south view.. 16k for a month and wifi was an extra 800. Looking at the calendar, there were plenty of dates available.

I passed by the Base condo many times when I stayed at Flipper and walked to LK Metro. The walk seems really close. Anyways, I'll report back. I was thinking of renting it again for December.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what an illuminating thread.

I'm one of the evil AirBnB renters of the base.  I haven't actually stayed there yet, but I thought I made a smart move going for a condo for two weeks rather than a hotel, particularly one so close to LK Metro

The annoyances are news to me.  In addition, SirL argument for the base rests on the idea that the price you are paying for it is low enough that the units are a good value.... and I think I might be grossly overpaying based on what others here have mentioned.

I will go ahead and forward the AirBnB listing to SirL and see what his take is (If he would be so kind!).

As described, VT6 is materially different in terms of price.  Hmmm, I might have to figure out where to stay all over again!

I have replied to Alacrity's PM with a PM explaining my opinion of his condo.  Since I received it by PM, I won't give any details here, but he's welcome to post any of my PM to him if he chooses.  Sadly I couldn't give him much good news.

Just to avoid confusion, I'm not arguing for The Base as best in all situations.  As I've written on this site, on my next trip I'll be staying in a condo on Soi 15 which I think offers better value for money.

• 1 month later...

Staying at the Base now. 35 sq meters suits me just fine. The view is excellent. The kitchen utils were brand new or maybe I was the only one actually using the kitchen [emoji23]. LK is not too far. Nothing bad to say about it yet. I will report back at the end of the stay.

• 1 month later...

I need fresh towels and bedsheets every 2-3 days. I stayed in Condos before and I found it annoying that sometimes you had to make an appointment with the maid, i. e. getting up at a fixed time which I don't want to do on holiday. Also the cost per cleaning can vary significantly. 

How does that work in the base vs VT6?

I’m staying at the Base currently, in a 2 bedroom SW corner unit on the 13th floor.  It’s nice, but other than the view there’s nothing special about it.  I think the units are overpriced for what you get.  I wouldn’t buy here.  I’d look at some of the complexes behind the Avenue if I wanted to buy.

13 hours ago, gdaf123 said:

I’m staying at the Base currently, in a 2 bedroom SW corner unit on the 13th floor.  It’s nice, but other than the view there’s nothing special about it.  I think the units are overpriced for what you get.  I wouldn’t buy here.  I’d look at some of the complexes behind the Avenue if I wanted to buy.

Yes, I stayed at The Base on my last trip, and next time I'm booked in one of the Soi 15 condo blocks.  Other than that south facing view (and that's only for those high condos facing in that direction), I reckoned there wasn't much special about The Base.  I think my next condo is going to be bigger, closer to WS, better furnished and cheaper than the one in The Base.  The trouble with the Base rooftop pool is that there aren't enough comfortable chairs near it for the number of people, so you can't really hang out up there for long.

Yes, I stayed at The Base on my last trip, and next time I'm booked in one of the soi 15 condo blocks.  Other than that south facing view (and that's only for those high condos facing in that direction), I reckoned there wasn't much special about The Base.  I think my next condo is going to be bigger, closer to WS, better furnished and cheaper than the one in The Base.  The trouble with the Base rooftop pool is that there aren't enough comfortable chairs near it for the number of people, so you can't really hang out up there for long.

But how do you book these other condos online without being on the ground? I found some websites with these condos but they were all listed through agencies and most were geared toward long term rental. Rentals of a month were few and the most ended up being more expensive than the Base's cheapest condos. I agree about the chairs at the Base pool. A couple are broken to boot. However, if you go for a swim and keep your eyes open, something will open up within the hour.

AirBnb
You are not going to find anything cheap on airbnb... especially not in any of the central areas.

1 minute ago, hioctane said:
13 minutes ago, DrBig said:
AirBnb

You are not going to find anything cheap on airbnb... especially not in any of the central areas.

If you're comparing the price of condos empty now to be rented immediately, with condos you're looking to rent in a few months time, then I agree the former will always be cheaper.  It's unrealistic to expect the two to have the same price, you've got to compare apples with apples.  I'm always looking to book in a few months time, and I have to accept I'll be paying more than the immediate moving-in price.  It's a much better price than hotels though!

I think when compared to the other booking for a few months ahead options, which as you write are few and far between, AirBnb is priced lowish, for instance compared to Rental For The Holidays.  Do you agree?

If you're comparing the price of condos empty now to be rented immediately, with condos you're looking to rent in a few months time, then I agree the former will always be cheaper.  It's unrealistic to expect the two to have the same price, you've got to compare apples with apples.  I'm always looking to book in a few months time, and I have to accept I'll be paying more than the immediate moving-in price.  It's a much better price than hotels though!
I think when compared to the other booking for a few months ahead options, which as you write are few and far between, AirBnb is priced lowish, for instance compared to Rental For The Holidays.  Do you agree?

I always book months ahead. I still can't find anything cheap on airbnb in the central areas.. meaning.. from WS to Soi 6 and BR to Soi Buakhao.. Sure if you wanted to stay in Jomtien or Third Road you might find something. I see condos for 16-18k on RFTH... with utilities it brings it to 19-21k.. I can't find anything in that range on airbnb.

I have been very happy every time that i have rented with vt6,     perfect location for me and very modern apartments..     everything i need on the main floor and great view

Archived