Jump to content
sjoberg

VT6 vs The Base

Recommended Posts

SirL

Why are cancellations less of a problem via RFTH than via AirBnB?  In either case, they can equally just stop renting the apartment, or cancel your booking if something longer at a higher rate comes in.

I agree that I don't like the non-symmetrical nature of cancellations at AirBnB.  If the owner wants to cancel, AirBnB make a big deal of saying that you will get your money back (is that all, I'm thinking).  If you want to cancel, you lose some chunk of the rental cost plus the AirBnB fees, so you would suffer a cancellation cost but an owner wouldn't.  In effect, all you're doing in making a AirBnB reservation is giving the owner an option to rent to you, whilst you are more committed to rent from him.  Its not equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joeaf

For LT Airbnb rentals, i.e  28 nights or more, the Airbnb LT cancellation policy which differs from ST reservations <28 nights.  The Airbnb LT cancellation policy favors the host over the renter. 

On an Airbnb LT rental, the renter is charged a first month down payment and the rest will be collected in monthly installments. If a guest cancels before the check-in date, the first scheduled payment is paid to the host in full, and the guest is refunded the remaining amount, i.e. cleaning fee.  But if the host cancels, the cancellation fee will be waived for the first cancellation within a 6-month period.  After that, Airbnb deducts $100 from the next payout for cancellations < 7 days before check-in and $50 from the next payout for cancellations > 7 days before check-in.  The guest will usually get their money back from Airbnb, but it is very difficult to find similarly priced accommodations within 7 days. 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation

Plus, when the host cancels, Airbnb leaves an automated review comment, and the host can write a public response to clarify why the host needed to cancel.  The renter has no opportunity to any public comment on Airbnb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davidge
16 minutes ago, joeaf said:

For LT Airbnb rentals, i.e  28 nights or more, the Airbnb LT cancellation policy which differs from ST reservations <28 nights.  The Airbnb LT cancellation policy favors the host over the renter. 

 

On an Airbnb LT rental, the renter is charged a first month down payment and the rest will be collected in monthly installments. If a guest cancels before the check-in date, the first scheduled payment is paid to the host in full, and the guest is refunded the remaining amount, i.e. cleaning fee.  But if the host cancels, the cancellation fee will be waived for the first cancellation within a 6-month period.  After that, Airbnb deducts $100 from the next payout for cancellations < 7 days before check-in and $50 from the next payout for cancellations > 7 days before check-in.  The guest will usually get their money back from Airbnb, but it is very difficult to find similarly priced accommodations within 7 days. 

 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation

 

Plus, when the host cancels, Airbnb leaves an automated review comment, and the host can write a public response to clarify why the host needed to cancel.  The renter has no opportunity to any public comment on Airbnb.

 

This is the main reason I won't use AirBnB. I usually stay for a month or so in Pattaya and the 'long-term rental' rules were so patently unfair I actually contacted AirBnB to check I was understanding them properly.

I don't even consider using them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirL

Yes, it is a negative point to AirBnB that the host can cancel at short notice without significant penalty.  I think of booking on AirBnB as granting to the owner an option to rent to me, which may or may not happen.  It wouldn't be easy to find another condo within a few days on terms as good as those carefully chosen months ahead.

On the other side of the coin, the other possibilities to book firmly a rental months ahead aren't great.  

- There are the booking agents set up for rentals, such as Honey and Dancewatchers, which are fine but expensive and I expect they could cancel a booking late for free in the same way for only a simple refund to the renter.

- The rental agents that are more like real estate agents tend to have the newer apartments on their books as either sale or rental, and if booking months ahead that seems too risky be cancelled to me as the property might be sold.

What ways do other people know of firmly booking a carefully-chosen condo months ahead, without there being the risk of the owner cancelling late for just a simple refund to the renter of cash already paid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane

There is always a risk that the host cancels but I think it is minimal. It doesn't happen too often.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirL
32 minutes ago, hioctane said:

There is always a risk that the host cancels but I think it is minimal. It doesn't happen too often.

Are there any ways to book condos where the penalties for (late) cancellation are symmetrical, ie the owner would suffer the same penalty as the renter?  It's the asymmetry that annoys me, in that the renter would pay some chunky penalty but the owner wouldn't.  I don't mind me being subject to penalty clauses if the owner is subject to the same thing.  

I feel particularly vulnerable for a long booking for high season booked months ahead, which is what I book every year.  A long booking means it benefits from lower rates (for more than a month), and in high season the property is likely to be booked whatever, so the owner may cancel the long discounted-rate booking to go looking for several short bookings at higher rates.

Edited by SirL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane
Are there any ways to book condos where the penalties for (late) cancellation are symmetrical, ie the owner would suffer the same penalty as the renter?  It's the asymmetry that annoys me, in that the renter would pay some chunky penalty but the owner wouldn't.  I don't mind me being subject to penalty clauses if the owner is subject to the same thing.  
I feel particularly vulnerable for a long booking in high season.  A long booking means it benefits from lower rates (for more than a month), and in high season the property is likely to be booked whatever, so the owner may cancel the long discounted-rate booking to go looking for several short bookings at higher rates.


https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation



Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane
I've read them. The problem is that AirBnB cancellation terms aren't symmetrical, since a renter cancelling incurs charges, but a host doesn't.


Are we reading the same page? There are monetary penalties as well as account suspension penalties. Whether that is considered "symmetrical" is debatable.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirL
4 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Are we reading the same page? There are monetary penalties as well as account suspension penalties. Whether that is considered "symmetrical" is debatable.

 

"The fee will be waived for your first cancellation within a 6-month period"

Will the first cancellation I make within 6 months be fee-free?  I'd pay for a cancellation; the host wouldn't.

Edited by SirL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Footymadstreams
On 3/27/2017 at 10:54 PM, lelle said:

Thanks,someone told me only 10mb max,i dont care if it cost more so thats great news,just waiting the laywer to check the tilel did then I move in:D

There are faster cheaper packages with 3bb

 

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Heritage99

Just finished a 10 day stay at  VT6. Great location, courteous staff and very nice accommodations. 

I particualary liked the small stores and restaurants on the 3rd floor. 

It will definitely be at the top of my list when I return.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
talung66
On 3/17/2017 at 20:18, black dog said:

I just booked my condo yesterday at The Base for May. I've rented the 35sqm condo (the same type as SirLs, with full width balcony) facing south, tower B (the one with the rooftop pool) on the 27th floor (the view is amazing).

Before, i saw inumerous sites and i also was interested in VT6. I made several contacts (condo6, honey and other real estate agents). There were some advertised between 25-30k for VT6, but after contacts all the good ones were rented for my dates. There were some, but not worthy (corny and old) comparing to the Base. But next time, if i'll find a good one at VT6 facing south for 25k maybe i'll choose it. Maybe. Depends on how i would feel at The Base.

What did you end up paying at the base goss for me is ther now going for 15k and i heard you can get some for 12k to 13k.for vt6 you can get one for 20k this time of year.

On 5/17/2017 at 09:07, hioctane said:

AirBnB has a few condos in the 26k-35k range. RFTH had plenty of condos in the 20k range. These are for monthlies with utilities extra.
I looked at VT6 in the past. Way too expensive for me

 

 

On 5/18/2017 at 01:31, scubascuba3 said:

tSoi 15 is very popular with the guys i know, Urban, City Garden, now Centara, very good location also, near Buakhao, near 2nd road, Beach Road, Walking St. I saw an urban one for 1 year rent 17k which is good. VT6 is over rated

I did VT6 last year for 16k a month not well furnished.seen the same add but who pays market price in pattaya i have many leads in soi 15 for 14k to 15k..VT6 with great views and extra size condo cheaper not over rated in my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane
I did VT6 last year for 16k a month not well furnished.seen the same add but who pays market price in pattaya i have many leads in soi 15 for 14k to 15k..VT6 with great views and extra size condo cheaper not over rated in my view.


Is there a way to book these 16K VT6 condos online?

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
talung66
2 minutes ago, hioctane said:


Is there a way to book these 16K VT6 condos online?
 

 

No its all leg work and bargaining with owner direct or haggling with estate agents and you need a long term contract..https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/pattaya/condo/view-talay-6 show the current ones available on the private market may be the one going for 16k will take a deposit but i am not recommending sending money to some one you dont know.

Yes if you want to pay 25k.many links with in this thread.Walking in will save you 5k they like to see the colour of your money.And rely on people booking online,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirL

The trouble with the kind of deal talung describes is that its only available starting right now, not starting some time in the future, and for contracts of maybe at least a year, for condos without wifi.  Of course if the condo is empty right now they'll be more negotiable on price than they would be a few months ahead.   Booking online is more convenient and you pay a bit more for it, but that's the only option available to some people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
napsterlover2375
On 5/23/2017 at 10:29 AM, hioctane said:

There is always a risk that the host cancels but I think it is minimal. It doesn't happen too often.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk
 

I always check the reviews for hosts on Airbnb, if I see even one cancellation without a good explanation I will not rent from that host.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle-V
On 3/13/2017 at 11:45 PM, SirL said:

Let's be clear about the sizes of the condos at The Base - there seems to be some misinformation going on.

All the details are on http://www.sansiri.com/condominium/thebase-central-pattaya/en/#tab-id-22 .  Please go about halfway down that page to PLAN in green, and then click on Units Layout.

 

10 PattayaDay.jpg

BaseAptFloorPlan.jpg

Thanks for the info.

 am looking for a condo to rent for a month in August-September.  

I know the studios at the base are kind of small. I visited a friend there once to check it out, but can't really remember the details now. I am particularly worried about the bedrooms. Are they too cramped to comfortably or boom boom?

My friend says not to do it. But I think he may be a bit biased as he stayed for 6 months and may be sick of the place. He also had one of the smaller units in the middle of the buildings. 

I am looking at a corner sea view 35m condo on the 29th floor.

 

Edited by Uncle-V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane
Thanks for the info.

 am looking for a condo to rent for a month in August-September.  

I know the studios at the base are kind of small. I visited a friend there once to check it out, but can't really remember the details now. I am particularly worried about the bedrooms. Are they too cramped to comfortably or boom boom?

My friend says not to do it. But I think he may be a bit biased as he stayed for 6 months and may be sick of the place. He also had one of the smaller units in the middle of the buildings. 

I am looking at a corner sea view 35m condo on the 29th floor.

 



Well you have seen the condo yourself. What do you think? That size should be about the same if not smaller.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirL
1 hour ago, Uncle-V said:

bedrooms. Are they too cramped to comfortably or boom boom?

I am looking at a corner sea view 35m condo on the 29th floor.

IMO no the bedrooms are fine to boom boom and have a lady overnight in, as I did quite a few times.  No particular problem to me in that area.  Mind you, although they are the same bedroom sq m size, I think there would be a difference in how the outwards-facing and the inwards-facing condos feel in terms of bedroom use.  The outwards-facing ones, with a view like pictured in #93 on this thread, since they are not overlooked, allow you to have the bedroom curtains open all day/night and use the balcony much more, so they "feel" bigger than the inwards-facing ones which are overlooked by the condos on the other side, so you'll probably want to keep the bedroom curtains closed more and avoid the balcony and being close to the windows.

For me, and I may be unusual in this, the space problem was more in the living zone.  I worked during the day on my laptop connected to the TV in the living zone, so I moved the kitchen table to in front of the living zone TV and connected my laptop up to that as a second screen.  As you can imagine, this didn't look very elegant and things got a bit tight there when there was a lady.  I wanted more of a classic desk arrangement than was possible in The Base layout.

I've now booked in a no-view condo in the Avenue Residence for my next stay, which compared to The Base apartments available for my dates, appears larger, cheaper, closer to WS and has better furniture (ie desk and sofa).  The advantages of The Base (compared to the Avenue) appear to be that view, The Roof top pool with that view, and that if private internet is installed in your Base condo then the internet there would be more reliable.  The Base is all about the views really, and so the Base would particularly suit those for whom the views are valuable.  Having been there now, I think I can live without The Base view, but be aware that is the key relative advantage of The Base (if you have a condo with a view at all anyway).

Edited by SirL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle-V

Thanks SirL!

This is very useful info.

I was pretty happy with City Garden. But that View at the base just looks amazing. 

I will need to work during the day too. But if I end up staying at the Base  I could just may take my laptop to one the communal lounges. They look nice and I can work there if its not too loud.  What do you think? Would that work? 

2 hours ago, SirL said:

IMO no the bedrooms are fine to boom boom and have a lady overnight in, as I did quite a few times.  No particular problem to me in that area.  Mind you, although they are the same bedroom sq m size, I think there would be a difference in how the outwards-facing and the inwards-facing condos feel in terms of bedroom use.  The outwards-facing ones, with a view like pictured in #93 on this thread, since they are not overlooked, allow you to have the bedroom curtains open all day/night and use the balcony much more, so they "feel" bigger than the inwards-facing ones which are overlooked by the condos on the other side, so you'll probably want to keep the bedroom curtains closed more and avoid the balcony and being close to the windows.

For me, and I may be unusual in this, the space problem was more in the living zone.  I worked during the day on my laptop connected to the TV in the living zone, so I moved the kitchen table to in front of the living zone TV and connected my laptop up to that as a second screen.  As you can imagine, this didn't look very elegant and things got a bit tight there when there was a lady.  I wanted more of a classic desk arrangement than was possible in The Base layout.

I'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SirL
43 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

Thanks SirL!

This is very useful info.

I was pretty happy with City Garden. But that View at the base just looks amazing. 

I will need to work during the day too. But if I end up staying at the Base  I could just may take my laptop to one the communal lounges. They look nice and I can work there if its not too loud.  What do you think? Would that work? 

 

Thanks.  Yes it is a great view from The Base, if you have it from your room.  Personally, having looked at it for seven weeks, for my next trip I'm kind of meh about it, but for a first time I completely understand you getting excited.  The girls certainly liked the view, and they loved me taking pics of them around The Roof pool for their FB.  Offering to take pics up there of them was a real chick magnet.

You could go up to The Roof lounge on the 31st floor with your laptop, where they do have sort of tables and chairs which would probably be good.  Look around all the pictures on the web of The Roof lounges and see if you think the furniture in them suits you.  If you're staying at The Base there's no problem at all for you to get into the lounges, gym etc.  I think there is free wifi up there.  Personally, in my condo I had my "desk" setup, plugged into the TV as second screen, I was ethernet-plugged into the router, I had mugs of coffee, and so I never went up to the communal lounge area. But look at pics of the lounge and see if you think it would suit you.  I think there are too many people in The Base for the few sun loungers outside by the pool, but I don't think the desk areas of the top lounge inside was very full (but I'm not sure, I hardly ever looked in there).  If you're OK working in a Starbucks for an hour or two, then yes I expect The Roof lounge setup would be at least as good as that, and probably quieter.

Edited by SirL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle-V

thanks! you almost have me sold. Now just to get rid of the pesky voice in my head of my friend who says "dont' do it!' 555

he had one of the middle rooms and I think 6 months in that small space has soured him on the Base. But a month shodul be fine. especially if i get that room with the amazing view 

Edited by Uncle-V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hioctane

IMO, if you have a room with no windows, you will need a larger room otherwise it will feel like a jail cell! A room with a view just feels bigger even if it is smaller. BTW, how many of us are going to hook their laptop to the TV to work? I work too but I think the kitchen table will be fine. I will see. I plan to stay in the upper floors with a view this September.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle-V

How is the gym? What equipment does it have? 

i've seen a few pics online but difficult to tell how good it is....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.