IGNORED

Au bon Coin

ChiFlyer

IMO - in the discussion for the best French Restaurant in Jomtien.

http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/

It's a little difficult to find, so if you decide to go Google Maps is your friend. Also, reservations are required. It's a smaller place with great atmosphere and ambiance. The skill of the chef is the big draw.

I went there tonight with a few local ex-pat friends who also like the place. Here are a few pics.

Escargot

Au bon Coin - Escargot.JPG

Duck Pate

Au bon Coin - Duck Pate.JPG

Shrimp Entree

Au bon Coin - Shrimp.JPG

Beef Bourguignon

Au bon Coin - Beef Bourguignon.JPG

Fish Meringue

Au bon Coin - Fish Meringue.JPG

• 1 year later...

After a few days of street food, the GF and I decided to splurge last night. No better place to do that than Au bon Coin IMO. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Total bill, including tip and a large carafe of very good wine was 2500. Worth every baht again IMO. That this quality of restaurant exists in the Jomtien area just blows me away.

Here are some pics.

Complementary appetizers

5a8a8976c97cc_AubonCoin1.thumb.JPG.1672a61a618de6385d9bab07404cb05e.JPG

Oysters

5a8a898acba2b_AubonCoin2.thumb.JPG.aba6d0e2ce8b5a562f2d956dfc241d24.JPG

Duck in a Red Wine Sauce

5a8a899f2edf1_AubonCoin3.thumb.JPG.0c54509def99382c7c07ad71700a62c4.JPG

Grouper Meuniere

5a8a89af112b2_AubonCoin4.thumb.JPG.edf72b9ceeaf8fc4db97ce9dde34e895.JPG

Hazelnut Ice Cream

5a8a89c354f53_AubonCoin5.thumb.JPG.6c30a3f5d79f084bcda3f7d99af6c9a3.JPG

Complimentary End of the meal Snacks, including brandy soaked Lady Fingers

5a8a89f36d738_AubonCoin6.thumb.JPG.da1593385f99860cefde741e5a056ca8.JPG

My favorite resturant, especially as it is on Prattumnak.

The owner is a rugby union fan and allways enjoys a chat, I will be calling in for a meal an rugby banter in a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, jimboh said:

I believe that it is necessary to book a table?

Josie (the owner/chef) is a talented man and a good person, but some of us joke that he is a bit of a soup nazi (from the old Seinfeld Show). No reservation - no food.

18 hours ago, Frenchguy99 said:

what about the prices?

This is not cheap eats. You get what you pay for. Still I find it quite reasonable given the quality. The dinner I recently posted for my GF and myself included oysters, two entrees, a dessert, and a large carafe of very good wine. All that including tip came to 2500. That's about $80 USD. I would have gladly paid $200 USD for the equivalent meal in the Chicago area and would have had a devil of a time finding that.

Well I guess I really like this place. Went again last night with two buddies. I had the 5 hour lamb. Absolutely delicious.

Au bon Coin A-1.JPG

Let's see how long it takes before somebody suggests you must a shareholder.

But thanks for the review. It's on my list for next trip.

Dammit, another great place I’ve gotta check out! You guys are tough. 

Edit: is there any kind of dress code? And reservations are required, right?

1 hour ago, forteune said:

Dammit, another great place I’ve gotta check out! You guys are tough. 

Edit: is there any kind of dress code? And reservations are required, right?

No dress code, but decent shorts and nice enough shirt are probably a good idea.

Reservations are absolutely required. You will not be seated without a reservation.

22 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

No dress code, but decent shorts and nice enough shirt are probably a good idea.

Reservations are absolutely required. You will not be seated without a reservation.

Glad to hear about no dress code. One place here, Mantra, had a no shorts and no sandals policy. Which would be understandable anywhere else. But this is Pattaya. And it’s bloody hot here. 

Thanks for the heads up on reservations. It’s something I never think of here. Is this true even in low season? Because I will be here then as well. 

It’s the sirloin that really grabbed my attention. So far I haven’t found good beef. No problem though. I’ve got no complaints about the quality of the food here. Well, except for the overpriced Indian food. 

2 hours ago, forteune said:

Glad to hear about no dress code. One place here, Mantra, had a no shorts and no sandals policy. Which would be understandable anywhere else. But this is Pattaya. And it’s bloody hot here. 

Thanks for the heads up on reservations. It’s something I never think of here. Is this true even in low season? Because I will be here then as well. 

It’s the sirloin that really grabbed my attention. So far I haven’t found good beef. No problem though. I’ve got no complaints about the quality of the food here. Well, except for the overpriced Indian food. 

The Royal Cliff Grill Room also has a no shorts dress code.

I believe the reservations required policy is also true in low season. btw - Josie closed the place last September to take a holiday.

I have never had the beef at Au bon Coin, as I just love the grouper and the French dishes.

The steak at Cafe de Amis is very good. I have been told that about the Royal Cliff Grill Room as well, but have never tried steak there. For a level below these Beefeaters, Patricks, and Steak and Co. are all reported to have respectable fare. I have tried most of those and agree.

• 6 months later...

I am a fan of Au bon Coin as evidenced by my earlier posts in this thread. Stopped in last night after being away from the Pattaya area for 4 months.

I will not go on and on,  but thought I would put up one quick pic. This is Beef Tenderloin in a Morel Sauce. The pic does not do the plate justice. Absolutely delicious, but close to a 1000 baht entree. I go here about once a month.

5baf77c4c014f_AubonCoin-B.thumb.JPG.c3a34387af0faab0414b543800c76efe.JPG

• 2 months later...

Enjoyed reading the positive comments. Me too, one of my favourites. A review from a couple of months ago...

________

“There remain a few consistently high quality establishments around town run by dedicated, passionate restaurateurs. Places that aren't a kind of big hotel chain 'afterthought', run by pen pushers and money counters, mostly in some distant international headquarters, unaware of your existence, who don't give a monkey's whether you enjoyed the experience or not so long as it doesn't impinge on their bottom line profit margins. 

But for how long will you have that choice? This post is partly an appeal. When you fancy splashing out on a decent meal, whether daily, weekly or monthly. Relegate the big group and hotel eateries to the bottom of the list. A last resort. Patronise those few who live to read complimentary reviews, to hear your praise for the chef, to see your contented faces. And do it before it's too late. You'll miss them when they've gone.

Saturday night, a last minute booking at Au Bon Coin in Pratumnak Soi 6. Time was when that would have been impossible, even in low season. But times have changed.

A giant slab of moreish duck pâté (250฿) followed the very tasty free appetiser selection. Today's main course special was Roast Beef Tenderloin, 550฿, served with gratin dauphinois potatoes. Those of you who have eaten roast beef around town for Sunday lunch will know the problem. 75% of the time it tastes like overcooked cardboard. The other 25%.... undercooked. Ok I'm exaggerating. A bit. But frankly the quality of meats supplied to pubs and restaurants around town is pretty grim, with a few notable exceptions. This isn't entirely the restaurant's fault. In the end, the town gets what it is prepared to pay for.

Anyway back on topic, and Saturday's roast beef tenderloin (José serves tenderloin because it's the only way to guarantee quality).

I actually ate a few bites of the meat with my eyes closed. Memories. It's that flavour that used to be standard with every Sunday lunch as a child back home. You know, back in the day when beef tasted like beef. Wonderful dish, José.

Couldn't resist my favourite dessert, the apple pie (290฿). José is quick to point out (as he does each time in case I've forgotten) that it takes twenty minutes to prepare. I know José, nearer to 30 minutes in fact. I don't care. It's prepared fresh, and it's bloody delicious. The quality Père Magloire Calvados bottle is left on the table for you to douse the dish to your liver's content. 

Au Bon Coin. Now that's what I call a real restaurant..”

62C32BF7-785E-43AB-A2DC-7F8F29D59C18.jpeg

FF7F5B12-DCC1-436C-A23A-33CF13A71AB8.jpeg

309C8F08-7C3F-4561-9313-BC0821D2812A.jpeg

3254493B-2600-41AC-B924-06C77F1267C3.jpeg

D94A29AF-A8B4-4C0E-8542-06EFC54156D4.jpeg

59503BA5-D0EB-4B89-B609-0D4CDF24B6AB.jpeg

B887AC9C-D190-4959-82E9-0ED13AB692D1.jpeg

9DF4E60E-19CE-477C-946E-4C3D33A47F1C.jpeg

B7CA3ED9-45BA-470B-A3EB-F8630AD050D4.jpeg

9A861E27-6C40-487F-8BA1-A5046D636F00.jpeg

2A7BAD36-1080-4195-880F-442051DA4E7E.jpeg

5EF6F789-C7C5-4D69-80B5-C1F6756AF7B6.jpeg

D0675E8E-B07F-4774-8DF4-E465DBE404A0.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Archived