IGNORED

Laptop hardware repair recommendation

Harley62

So my laptop has a "back-lit" keyboard, which is a really useful feature to have (I'll never own another laptop without!).

However, as of very recently, the backlight feature is "flickering", or now works only intermittently. I checked my laptop settings and all is normal.

Therefore, I must assume that there's a (physical) connection issue with the keyboard.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good technician in Pattaya who has experience with hardware issues like this, I'd really appreciate the information!

(with specifics, such as : 5th floor Tukcom, name "XYZ", etc..)

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So my laptop has a "back-lit" keyboard, which is a really useful feature to have (I'll never own another laptop without!).

However, as of very recently, the backlight feature is "flickering", or now works only intermittently. I checked my laptop settings and all is normal.

Therefore, I must assume that there's a (physical) connection issue with the keyboard.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good technician in Pattaya who has experience with hardware issues like this, I'd really appreciate the information!

(with specifics, such as : 5th floor Tukcom, name "XYZ", etc..)

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Most likely the CCFL and/or inverter. The complexity of the repair and the cost/benefit ratio is largely tied to the make/model of the laptop. Some laptops are easier to fix than others. How much is this feature worth to you to fix? If this is an Apple of any sort, I'd say just live with the issue as the repair will most likely be costly.

There is a very, very small chance this is related to a faulty power routing board/charger/battery. The reason I say small chance is because you'd notice operating issues along with the flickering keyboard, and I don't think you mentioned that. Although, it is worth a simple, free test to see if this helps. 

Unplug the charger and remove the battery (if possible). With all power removed, press and hold the power switch for about 40 seconds. This will completely discharge any residual juice in the system. As a side note, I had an old tower that would fully turn back on for 1 second after unplugging it, meaning that these systems can hold a fair amount of juice even without a battery. After complete discharge, plug the lead back in, but not the battery. Try to turn it back on. If that works, then there might be a problem with the battery. If that doesn't do anything, repeat the steps, but plug the battery back in first and test. If that works, the you might have a charger issue. If neither works, probably the CCFL as mentioned first. 

Archived