Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Windows 10 updates- pissing me off.

Billyboy294

I got an automatic Update on 26 Jan.and been having problems which i blame on the Update.

First when i try to print a Jpg Document in the Portrait mode it looks ok when ready to print but when i check it on Preview it is now in Landscape mode. I dont want it in Landscape mode. It seems that Windows looks at the shape of the 'photo' and decides it should be in Landscape mode.

Secondly now when i cllck on a photo in a folder to see what it looks like in large size, it quickly disappears. And now today not only that, the  Photos is now completely out of focus but also quickly disappears.

I tried a System Restore (I hate Win 10 System Restore; bring back XP) and the only suitable restore point i could get was the Update on 26th Jan.

Tried twice to restore but unsuccessful. Got a message each time about problem with "C:\Users\Billy\ .............Windows. Photos ......."

The fact that it mentions 'Photos'  makes me suspect Microsoft is to blame.

Anyone else having problems.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

I don't follow your logic as I have no idea how a mention of 'Photo' can be attributed to Windows. Just because it is a default Windows directory doesn't mean that something else could not be causing the problem. I just repeated what you tried to do and printed to a pdf with no problem.

Try updating your printer driver. If that doesn't work try printing from a different application to rule out an application problem.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Simple Solution : Upgrade to Windows 7

Or XP.

I don't follow your logic as I have no idea how a mention of 'Photo' can be attributed to Windows. Just because it is a default Windows directory doesn't mean that something else could not be causing the problem. I just repeated what you tried to do and printed to a pdf with no problem.

Try updating your printer driver. If that doesn't work try printing from a different application to rule out an application problem.

Now a similar problem with my Epson printer.

The other thing to try is download an EXIF editor and manually change the orientation field.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I got an automatic Update on 26 Jan.and been having problems which i blame on the Update.

First when i try to print a Jpg Document in the Portrait mode it looks ok when ready to print but when i check it on Preview it is now in Landscape mode. I dont want it in Landscape mode. It seems that Windows looks at the shape of the 'photo' and decides it should be in Landscape mode.

Secondly now when i cllck on a photo in a folder to see what it looks like in large size, it quickly disappears. And now today not only that, the  Photos is now completely out of focus but also quickly disappears.

I tried a System Restore (I hate Win 10 System Restore; bring back XP) and the only suitable restore point i could get was the Update on 26th Jan.

Tried twice to restore but unsuccessful. Got a message each time about problem with "C:\Users\Billy\ .............Windows. Photos ......."

Tried a system restore to 23 Jan 2017 and got the same 'problem ' message. This time i managed to 'screen capture' which they would not let me use before.

System Restore failed.jpg

i am no computer expert but after the latest Update on 26th Jan, when I try to click a photo into the big black 'window' named Photos on the top left hand corner  and they quickly disappear (and are sometimes out of focus) and i cannot do a System Restore  because of a problem with a file with "Photos' in the name.  I put 2 and 2 together and think the update on 26th Jan is the problem..

Tried a system restore to 23 Jan 2017 and got the same 'problem ' message. This time i managed to 'screen capture' which they would not let me use before.

System Restore failed.jpg

i am no computer expert but after the latest Update on 26th Jan, when I try to click a photo into the big black 'window' named Photos on the top left hand corner  and they quickly disappear (and are sometimes out of focus) and i cannot do a System Restore  because of a problem with a file with "Photos' in the name.  I put 2 and 2 together and think the update on 26th Jan is the problem..

However it was not surprising that Microsoft would not let us Systerm Restore and remove an update.

And now Windows 10 seems to think a photo  or document should be in Landcscape mode even if I have checked i want it in Portrait mode.

If you are not a 'computer expert' or don't know much about how these things work I would suggest you move to Apple Mac.

They never go wrong.

(wriiten from a reluctant Windows user who spends far too much time keeping it working properly!!)

I refused to use Win 10 and got rid of my Win 8 laptop shortly after making the mistake of buying it.

When my Win 7 PC dies, I'll switch completely to Apple.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Mac OS X and Ubuntu are very close cousins under the hood. The desktop is different and programs built for Mac (dmg installers) will not run on Ubuntu. I have both a Macbook Air and a Dell running Ubuntu. I bought the Dell earlier this near but had to buy a new Mac to do some iOS programming.

Whenever you get an error code (ie the 0x80070570) plug it into Google as see what comes up. It appears that the restore point is corrupt (corruptions can happen on Macs as well). Go into restore and click the 'Show more restore points' to see if there are any that you are not seeing.

I refused to use Win 10

What's your issue with W10?

I'm running it and have had no problems.

Although I have tweaked my quite a bit, it is remarkably similar to how I had my W7 PC running.

Although I have tweaked my quite a bit, it is remarkably similar to how I had my W7 PC running.

Huge privacy issues.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Huge privacy issues.

Just wrap your PC in tin foil. She'll be right...555

I think this is the problem. It's OK for us PC savvy guys, but for anyone who knows nothing about PC's windows is a bit of a nightmare !!

We have 2 PC's and a Mac.  Always having to fiddle with the PC's even on XP and Win 7.

Mac - never touched it once in 6 years - never gone wrong.

After a shaky start (3 attempts) I got into Win10 but you do need to go through all the options right from the off.

I vaguely recall seeing one offering 'organise' all my photos & videos and I clicked on the option 'you can fcuk right off'.

Since I got it set up how I want the Updates are on Auto and so far no issues.

Billy I don't think the 26th update should have affected photos.

I think this is the problem. It's OK for us PC savvy guys, but for anyone who knows nothing about PC's windows is a bit of a nightmare !!

I disagree with you. Windows 10 works straight out of the box. Where things go wrong is when people who don't really know what they are doing mess with stuff that they don't need to. I have set all 3 of my computers up and never have to tweak anything to keep them going. Don't even need to run defrag or error checking anymore.

We have 2 PC's and a Mac. Always having to fiddle with the PC's even on XP and Win 7.

Mac - never touched it once in 6 years - never gone wrong.

Not necessarily.

Built a W7 PC for Mum, going on 5 years now, and she's never had an issue, other than a shortcut mysteriously disappearing after one of the grandchildren have been playing on it.

Those tweaks I made to my W10 PC were not long after installation, haven't had to change anything, or do anything, since.

When I had 7 on there I never had to spend any sort of significant time 'keeping it working'.

I actually haven't run a virus scan in a while. Perhaps I should give it a once over, just make sure there's no nastys in there...

Don't even need to run defrag or error checking anymore.

If you mean hard disks, that's true. Windows finally caught up to Macs. However, there are still Microsoft tools and workarounds for fixing update and registry problems which have never existed in Macs.

I did a System Restore to a date after the Update and that did not solve the problem. So makes me think the update is the problem.

A computer expert friend spent an hour trying to fix the problem. Finally removed the corrupted "Photo' app  with a view to reinstalling it but was not able to. Solved the problem by installing "Windows Photo Viewer" same as we had before. It does the same job .

It seems many people have had the same problem for some time. Many topics like this and many solutions. Whether the recent Update on 26 Jan had anything to do with my problem. Who knows? perhaps just coincidence. But also had the Portrait / Landscape problem referred to above.

Windows 10 Photos app not working - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/.../windows/.../windows_10.../windows-10-photos-app-...

Dec 2, 2016 - The Windows 10 Photos app is not opening my photos when I try to open any photos. The photos app launches but immediately closes in half a second.

A computer expert friend spent an hour trying to fix the problem. Finally removed the corrupted "Photo' app  with a view to reinstalling it but was not able to. Solved the problem by installing "Windows Photo Viewer" same as we had before. It does the same job .

It seems many people have had the same problem for some time. Many topics like this and many solutions. Whether the recent Update on 26 Jan had anything to do with my problem. Who knows? perhaps just coincidence. But also had the Portrait / Landscape problem referred to above.

Windows 10 Photos app not working - Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/.../windows/.../windows_10.../windows-10-photos-app-...

Dec 2, 2016 - The Windows 10 Photos app is not opening my photos when I try to open any photos. The photos app launches but immediately closes in half a second.

I did try to point you in that direction. Perhaps you need to read people's posts..:P

A computer expert friend spent an hour trying to fix the problem. 

I did try to point you in that direction. Perhaps you need to read people's posts.. :P

Given that the OP lives in Thailand, how much could it cost to have a tech-savvy Thai do the installs/upgrades? 

Some users lack the "ken" for computer things but their talents in other areas may more than compensate. Thanks for all the pictures. 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ken+difinition

ken
ken/
noun

1. 1.
    one's range of knowledge or sight.
    "such determination is beyond my ken"
    synonyms: knowledgeawarenessperceptionvisionunderstandinggraspcomprehension,realizationappreciationconsciousness
    "their conversation was beyond my ken"

Archived