Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist visa to US

Bek

Hi,

I have a gay friendthat is trying to get a tourist visa to the US, so he can go meet his farang semi-boyfriend. I have been helping him fill out the application and so on - he's already scheduled for an interview at the embassy.

Has anyone been through the process and received the visa, or is it near impossible for common thai people to obtain a tourist visa to the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Refusal is very likely and the Fee is not refundable.

It's why some agents simply don't take on such applications, because customers are likely to be disappointed.

If you are helping him and have to ask this question I think refusal is extremely likely. The US makes it very difficult for a normal Thai person to get a tourist visa and I suspect that it is about to get more difficult. I'm not up to speed what is actually required so you might want to do some internet searches to get some information.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

If you are helping him and have to ask this question I think refusal is extremely likely. The US makes it very difficult for a normal Thai person to get a tourist visa and I suspect that it is about to get more difficult. I'm not up to speed what is actually required so you might want to do some internet searches to get some information.

Only for muslims.

Only for muslims.

No, for many people. They are moving towards suspending the Visa Interview Waiver Program. This will make it more inconvenient for people to get visas. I am not sure what countries it will affect. I know it will not change anything for the Thais but it is an indication that they may be making it more difficult for some to get visas.

Trump just made it harder for tourists to visit the US

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I of course did some research before we submitted the application and scheduled the interview. He is well aware that the fee is non-refundable, and I told him before we started that his chance of getting a visa is very small.

I have gone through the visa process myself before, but I'm well aware that it will be a lot more difficult for a thai, than a European.

For a B2 visa, a invitation letter is not required, but they suggest that you bring one to the interview, or that you can show sufficient funds, so I asked his American friend to write him an invitation letter, and send him a sample. I just have my doubts on whether they actually issue a tourist visa for thai people on the basis of a invitation letter - so I thought maybe some here had gone through the trouble of bringing over a girl/guy for a holiday.

I of course did some research before we submitted the application and scheduled the interview. He is well aware that the fee is non-refundable, and I told him before we started that his chance of getting a visa is very small.

I have gone through the visa process myself before, but I'm well aware that it will be a lot more difficult for a thai, than a European.

For a B2 visa, a invitation letter is not required, but they suggest that you bring one to the interview, or that you can show sufficient funds, so I asked his American friend to write him an invitation letter, and send him a sample. I just have my doubts on whether they actually issue a tourist visa for thai people on the basis of a invitation letter - so I thought maybe some here had gone through the trouble of bringing over a girl/guy for a holiday.

Like with any visa for a Thai to visit the West one of the important things to cover is that the person has access to funds to cover the costs of the trip. Just as important is that the person has a reason to leave the country at the end of the holiday. This last thing is where I think the US is very stringent. I think that unless the person has a good job to return to the chances of getting a US visa is very small, if not impossible. Another aspect is that it appears that if the applicant is in a relationship with an American resident the prospects of getting a tourist visa is even more unlikely:

The US Embassy in Bangkok is highly reluctant to approve tourist visas for an American citizen’s unmarried partner.  The B2 Visitors’ Visa is intended for those travelling to the US for purposes of tourism and temporary stays for pleasure.  The US Embassy in Bangkok will deny granting tourist visas to non-US citizens entering the States with their American boyfriend/girlfriend as a matter of regular practice unless special circumstances exist.  The reason for this is one of the fundamental principles of US Immigration law:  that a non-immigrant visa applicant must overcome the presumption of being an intended immigrant.  In other words, in order to qualify, you have to convince the US Embassy that your girlfriend has few or no ties to the US and very strong ties to Thailand.  Obviously, having a partner or spouse who is a US citizen living in the US would not help you with this process. (source)

There are other details on the page I linked to that you might want to read.

Thanks Scumbag - I have seen the text before, which is why I told my friend it is very unlikely that he will get the visa.

He will be invited by the guy and his wife to stay with them, but he does not have a solid job to return back to.

Anyway, everything has been submitted and I have tried to prepare him as much as possible for the interview - I was simply curious for any first-hand experiences.

Archived