IGNORED

Sutus Court, Soi Buakhao - Cockroach problem in zone 5 rooms

RAF Everett

If your in a cheap Hotel room with an infestation of cockroaches crawling all over you and your bed what you do is get your bedsheet and cocoon your self in it so they can't get inside.

No, what you do is change hotels, and learn the lesson to not be such a cheapskate.

Part of the problem with roaches in Thailand, and how they come up through the sewers in the bathrooms, has to do with the fact that 90% of plumbing doesn't have a 'P' trap (it's also why the bathrooms sometimes smell), so there is no barrier to keep roaches out.

I budget 1,600-2,000 baht for my hotel nights, and I use a guy that does hotel bookings (Tim) to pick and find me good places and good deals. I've never had a problem.

I've also stayed at sub-1000 baht places (notably on Koh Chang or other islands) and what I always do is pick up mosquito fumes (those spiral things that you burn) and roach traps and Poison and place them all over the bathroom and room under tables and beds. If there are any critters, by the time I come back to the room at night, there aren't anymore. (Warning: those things cost money)

No, what you do is change hotels, and learn the lesson to not be such a cheapskate.

Part of the problem with roaches in Thailand, and how they come up through the sewers in the bathrooms, has to do with the fact that 90% of plumbing doesn't have a 'P' trap (it's also why the bathrooms sometimes smell), so there is no barrier to keep roaches out.

I budget 1,600-2,000 baht for my hotel nights, and I use a guy that does hotel bookings (Tim) to pick and find me good places and good deals. I've never had a problem.

I've also stayed at sub-1000 baht places (notably on Koh Chang or other islands) and what I always do is pick up mosquito fumes (those spiral things that you burn) and roach traps and poison and place them all over the bathroom and room under tables and beds. If there are any critters, by the time I come back to the room at night, there aren't anymore. (Warning: those things cost money)

There are plenty of no-frills guest houses at way under 1,000THB in Patts (some indeed at half that price) - many of these are scrupulously clean and have no infestations at all. Personally, I enjoy a bit of luxury and am prepared to pay for it, but no-one should think that they have to pay 'big-bucks' to have a clean and bug free room.

Cheapest place I have stayed in LoS is Boss hotel in Khon Khaen - in the city centre and clean as a whistle....all for a mere 350THB pn.

Staying at Sutus 3 at the moment. I stay three times a year, a month a time.

I cannot comment on Sutus 5 as I have never stayed in those rooms, but I have been in 4 for my first two visits. After that I have always stayed in 3.

Of the 9 months I have occupied rooms here, I have only had about 4 Roaches in the rooms. You sometimes see them dead in the open corridors, I think the fumicide gets them pretty well.

Sutus Court as a hotel is very clean, imo exceptional for this area. If you want better, then you will need to change the style of hotel you stay at. One that does not have open corridors and lush gardens. For me, I do not come to Thailand to stay in a hermetically sealed box, I prefer to have the door to the balcony open and the light coming in my room.

It is a shame your stay was spoiled by roaches, but in my experience, this cannot happen that often.

Hope you find a place to suit you and enjoy the rest of you holiday.

Back in 1990 I stayed in the New Star hotel in soi 11 near the night market. I stayed there 5 months for 100 baht per night. They were building across the street and had pile drivers working all day but I had a room out the back which overlooked a coconut plantation. It had only a fan and no hot water but seemed OK as I was only young. I think it's still pretty cheap and the location is brilliant, just far enough down the soi not to be noisy.

There are plenty of no-frills guest houses at way under 1,000THB in Patts (some indeed at half that price) - many of these are scrupulously clean and have no infestations at all. Personally, I enjoy a bit of luxury and am prepared to pay for it, but no-one should think that they have to pay 'big-bucks' to have a clean and bug free room.

Obviously, you are correct - a lot has to do with qualifying and reading reviews, instead of just aiming for the bottom.

My peripheral point, I guess, mirrors yours - it's worth spending a little bit more on more luxurious accommodations, as the net benefits far exceed the couple of extra dollars you might spend. Particularly considering that you can get rather luxurious accommodations for less than a cheap hotel back in the west.

Not only does it feel better to wake up in a nice place, but any girls you bring back also appreciate a nicer place - and finally, it doesn't make you seem like some cheap lowest subsistence level traveler.

Cheapest place I have stayed in LoS is Boss Hotel in Khon Khaen - in the city centre and clean as a whistle....all for a mere 350THB pn.

Well, that's Khon Karen, though - everything is much cheaper there. You can also rent an entire house there for less than 6,000 a month, I hear.

Obviously, you are correct - a lot has to do with qualifying and reading reviews, instead of just aiming for the bottom.

My peripheral point, I guess, mirrors yours - it's worth spending a little bit more on more luxurious accommodations, as the net benefits far exceed the couple of extra dollars you might spend. Particularly considering that you can get rather luxurious accommodations for less than a cheap hotel back in the west.

Not only does it feel better to wake up in a nice place, but any girls you bring back also appreciate a nicer place - and finally, it doesn't make you seem like some cheap lowest subsistence level traveler.

Well, that's Khon Karen, though - everything is much cheaper there. You can also rent an entire house there for less than 6,000 a month, I hear.

Yes mate, I think we are singing off the same hymn sheet. hotels and guest houses are as cheap as chips compared to the West. Now I am retired, I usually look for a good 3/4 star hotel low season (eg Areca, 24 7, Centra Avenue, April Suites, Amari Nova)....often lots of bargains. High season I look to a top guest house or a highly rated 2/3 star hotel (The Haven, H Boutique, Honey Hotel). I haven't tried Boomerang guest house - it's got a great rep'.

Point that we both make is that by shopping around (via PA recommendations and trip-adviser), quality accommodation can be obtained at a reasonable price.

Don't forget if your staying in a guest house near by.......around noon the reception can get busy for check outs and taxi pick ups........

grab 'y towel....duck your head down........ and sneak in past reception to the old pool at the back.......

They used to put the wifi password on the wall in the covered area next to the pool.

Thanks for the info. I hate roaches. I would have left the place also. Bad attitude on the managers part. Oh, I myself don't have many posts but have been coming to Pattaya several times a year for over 15 years and won't stay where I have to share my room food and women with roaches.

, but any girls you bring back also appreciate a nicer place - and finally, it doesn't make you seem like some cheap lowest subsistence level traveller.

Thanks to all for your various replies and comments.

The reason I don't use this forum regularly, is that I only post when I feel that there is something others travellers need to be aware of; so not to experience or make the same mistake as myself. 

I agree that you only get what you pay for, and in booking low end accommodation you must have realistic expectations. However, even cheap should be clean. On the rare occasion that I do take a sex worker back to my room, wherever I am staying, it is of no interest to me what they or anyone else for that matter thinks.

What you do, where you do it, and with whom you do it with, is your own business. 

Archived