IGNORED

No Foreign Transaction Fees (FTF) on Schwab Debit and/or US Credit Union Visa Credit Cards

Although I brought my Schwab Debit card on my recent trip to Bangkok, I forgot to test it at an ATM to verify, however, I am aware through Schwab customer service that there are No Foreign Transaction Fees (FTF).

I brought, as I normally do, $100 bills to exchange for Thai Baht on this trip.  The primary reason for my recent trip, secondary which was relaxation and enjoyment, was to see my Bangkok Tailor in preparation for an upcoming formal Gala as I was in need of a new modern tuxedo, sport jacket, et. al.  As I was planning upon spending about $2,000 at the tailor, I decided to put these charges on my Visa Credit Card.  My US Credit Union, as with Schwab, does not charge Foreign Transaction Fees (FTF) verified as follows:

wcRyvvb.png

As depicted in the image above, there are no Foreign Transaction Fees (FTF) associated with each of the Bangkok charges.

Initially, when I logged into my account, in italics (while the charges were pending) I had additional 1% FTF's of $8.39 and $12.50 for each of the above added for the charges from my tailor.  However, it turned out that this was a Visa standard FTF, but since my Credit Union does has no FTF, as promised, they disappeared when the appeared into the Current Charges section.  Hence, like Schwab, I was there are no FTFs.

In addition, the exchange rate was virtually identical to the foreign transaction exchange rate at the time (I was checking with Google Finance regularly).

[You're Credit Union's policy may vary -- check with your Credit Union ahead of time]

Below are the receipts from the Bangkok Tailor:

jjAVWM8.jpg

Also, I used Uber in Bangkok one morning to get from my hotel to Green Tower:

hat4MqF.png

The Uber charge on my credit card as well didn't have any FTF's.

As a references, these exchange rates are close to what I got with $100 bill at competitive exchange rates:

a3lrj7H.png

Once again, I although I did not test it in Bangkok, the Schwab Debit card (shown below), similarly, does not have Foreign Transaction Fees.

Q26eoYE.jpg

While they might appear initially in the pending charges, they will be removed once posted to your account.

My Credit Union's Visa Credit Card has no FTF's, and rest assure, the Schwab Debit card does not as well.

I have a Traveler Rewards Visa from BofA that has no transaction fees. It also gives me a great exchange rate. 

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the Schwab card refunds the ATM fees charged by the Thai ATMs. I've used the card in Bangkok and Pattaya. It's a great way to go. I carry cash as a backup, but use the card daily as my primary money source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2017 at 4:58 PM, padfoot said:

I have a Traveler Rewards Visa from BofA that has no transaction fees. It also gives me a great exchange rate. 

And this is especially good as it pays back 1.5%-2.62% in 'points' on ALL purchases.

An excellent card with no annual fee, no FX fees, and points back.

Archived