IGNORED

Want to get in shape but don't know where to start!

Jonjon34

I do about 1500.

You could go as low as 800, but that's extreme. Give 1500 a go and see how you manage, if it's too low then up it to 1800, I wouldn't go any higher than that though. If you feel you could manage 1200 then try that.

FYI the lower the calorie amount, the lower the food intake. Too low and you'll feel depleted, too high and you'll struggle to lose weight.

No matter what diet plan you go with you need to lower your food intake. And regardless of the method the first couple of weeks will be the hardest until your body adapts. Try and push through but if you need to up your intake for one day, then do it. No good starving yourself. As long as you get back on track the next day then its all good.

I have a cheat meal once a fortnight as a "reward". It's still a somewhat healthy option, the only thing is it tips me well over the 1500 calories for the day. No biggie, back on the wagon the next day and its all good. A long term plan doesn't get derailed by one meal.

There's little tips and tricks to fool your stomach into thinking it's full, like taking big gulps of water whilst you're eating. Apparently nuts are an appetite suppressant, doesn't work for me, but could for you.

Spread your calories over 4-5 meals, 5 being ideal, but 4 suits my day better. You can find meal plans online to give you an idea of how plan out your day depending on the types of food you like to eat. Every item of food has a caloric value, so as long as you can fit it within your daily limit, then nothing is off the menu.

Diets that eliminate certain foods isn't ideal for me, I don't like that sort of restriction. I prefer to eat what I want when I want, so long as it fits within my 1500 limit.

Download myfitnesspal app for your phone it has a calorie counter which makes it a whole lot easier to count your intake for the day/week.

Ditch all soft drinks and drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Walk as much as you can if your job allows it, if you have a sedentary type job then go for a brisk 1 hour walk either before or after work.

Once you've started to lose weight it will become easier to up your exercise activity. For the first month the only exercise I did was walking to and from the train station on the way to work, about 1km one way, as well as walking alot during work. After a month I lost about 10kg, then started to look into cycling.

If you join a gym I would focus on cardio for now, treadmill, elliptical, bike, row machine. Start out slow, increase intensity as your fitness levels pick up.

Once again, you need to look at it as a lifestyle change, this will make it easier to keep on track. Think long term health, with mini goals along the way.

Thanks will get the app now!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would I determine the suitable amount of calories to consume?

Don't worry about counting calories. That's for people who sell diets and those who are dopey enough to buy them.

Eat stuff that is low in fat and high in protein, and eat that stuff in small amounts several times a day. Google about stuff that is high in fiber as well.

Number 1 on your list should be chicken breasts, followed by greens. Check out various nuts for snacks. And keep in mind that you need some fat. 

FFS don't worry about counting calories. That's a huge distraction when you are trying to train or retrain your metabolism.

Need help getting in shape just joint a gym but don't know how to start!

I am not sure what your goal is, weight-loss, muscle gain or toning. But I can tell you that I am by no means an expert or a physical trainer my entire goal in this area is to lose weight after trips abroad and a rather secluded life working in high arctic areas for several months at a time.

Having said that if your goal is either weight-loss or weight-maintenance the most important thing to do IMO is to monitor and control diet. I had struggled in this area for all of school years with exercise just not leading to the results I wanted. It was not until I spent time educating myself about proper nutrition and caloric intake that I saw results. Then when my diet was right the results came very easy. Once again I am no expert and do not practice really good athletic level nutrition I am just very conscious of the calories I take in, read all the nutrition labels/portion sizes, weigh my food if I have to be sure I know how many calories I ate in a day. That way if my goal is to say lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, and I hit the scale and am not there then I cant make any BS excuses to myself to justify that burger or fried chicken etc.

Simple diet heavy in protein, light on carbohydrates and maintaining a caloric deficit combined with cardio work-outs(treadmill, biking, running etc) has worked the best for me with a very keen focus on caloric intake to ensure I am not tricking myself into believing I ate less than I did.

Tips that have helped me, if the goal is weight-loss/control:

1. Don't drink your calories, cut out all fruit juices/milk/pop etc. drink water, coffee, tea with no sugar/milk added

2. Have a small simple snack between 3 properly proportioned meals; I usually have a piece of fruit between Breakfast/lunch and a granola bar between lunch/dinner this has helped me not want to over-eat and maintain good energy levels even when maintaining a calorie deficit.

3. Track everything you eat until the point you know the calorie content of what your eating and can track it in your head. So many people I know just lie to themselves about what/how much they put into there bodies and then cry about how they are fat or that they cant lose weight. Diet + exercise works for everyone. Period. If your not getting results the problem is most likely diet.

4. Drink the recommended amount of water everyday, 6-8 glasses, I never realized how little water I drank in a day until I made myself do this for awhile. Really helped with quicker results.

5. Abstain from alcohol for the fastest weight loss. I personally am unable to go out and have a single drink or two, so for me it worked best to simple go sober for the period when I was serious about getting into shape. Then party my face off abroad guilt free.

Once again if your goal is for muscle growth or toning this may not be relevant but proper nutrition can play a key factor in those areas as well.

Excuse me OP but I don't believe you. Everyone one nowadays with internet connection knows exactly what to do to lose weight and be in shape, it's all variations on the basic formula of eating cleaner and exercising more.

I think what you're really struggling with is the decision, there're no shortcuts, there's a cost that have to be paid to have a better figure, your call is to create set of motives that are more important to you than the cost, if you're not moving forward then you know that your motives are still not good enough. Good luck in your journey.

this is kind of a shortcut

Excuse me OP but I don't believe you. Everyone one nowadays with internet connection knows exactly what to do to lose weight and be in shape, it's all variations on the basic formula of eating cleaner and exercising more.

The internet is just the gateway to knowledge. That doesn't mean you automatically gain that knowledge just because you have the it.

Don't fall fo all the fad diets. They don't work in the long run. Fix up your diet. You know what's bad for you and good for you. Do this before joining the gym. I see many people making the mistake of thinking activity is the way to lose weight. you can't outrun that chocolate bar.

I think what you're really struggling with is the decision, there're no shortcuts, there's a cost that have to be paid to have a better figure, your call is to create set of motives that are more important to you than the cost, if you're not moving forward then you know that your motives are still not good enough. Good luck in your journey.

Yeah,

The OP is starting a succesful thread with one liner replies and I doubt is serious even though many responses are.

Internet is a strange place but fun!

if you 20kilos overweight start with swimming as your body loses  weight in the water,and cyckling  and then hit a gym,

Lots of great advice on here.  I lost 40 lbs without even exercising by just using the my fitness pal app and counting calories.  It really is simple math....if you eat more calories than you burn you gain..if you eat less than you burn you lose.  Mind you losing weight and being healthy are two very different things.  You can eat crap and lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn, but that doesnt make you healthy.  If weight loss is all you want to do, than just utilize portion control and drink lots of water...

g

Now, in Thailand, its easy to eat well.  Kai man Gai, or chicken with rice, is a very simple and famous thai dish that will havet good protein and even though their is rice, it is still low in calories.  Most people who become expats eat a lot of the western food they are used to.  Why?  Take advantage of street vendors and eat healthy , low cal thai food.  you will lose weight.

For exercise, definitely start very slow.  walk a lot....walk instead of hopping on the baht bus.  walk everywhere....when you feel strong enough start to mix in jogging with walking...they key is just keep moving

good luck

Don't fall fo all the fad diets. They don't work in the long run. Fix up your diet. You know what's bad for you and good for you. Do this before joining the gym. I see many people making the mistake of thinking activity is the way to lose weight. you can't outrun that chocolate bar.

lol such a good quote

Well not exactly...early last year I did try to makr an attempt to lose weight by going jogging everyday and although my stamina did improve after a few weeks my weight was pretty much the same so after a while I just gave up...I personally am determined to lose weight this time and also to quit smoking. Yes I know that there's a lot about losing weight on the internet but its just too much information and I don't think everything on the Internet is true like how could someone as out of shape as me possibly get a six pack in 6 weeks? Anyway thanks for your advice I'll try to find someone to be accountable to I'll sign an agreement with him that if I don't lose an x amount of weight in 3 months I'll give like 500 bucks to a charity of his choice. That'll keep me on my toes

Anyone in pattaya that can help me at a gym?

I have a workout plan from a friend I want to start, but have no idea what weight I should start using these machines at.

I vowed to start doing gym work on vacation this week.   :)

IYKYK

You need to educate yourself and read a couple of books. I read 3 and it helped me understand when is needed to achieve your goals

Sugar is evil.

90% diet

10% exercise

Is the key to losing your gut. Diet colas are worse than regular cola. I stopped drinking soda and diet soda.

The best way to get in shape or look better physically, as mentioned by Bangkokbanjo and others, is simply to take in less calories per day than your maintenance calorie level, and exercise to strip off excess fat. Use a program like myfitnesspal to easily calculate what your maintenance calorie level is, and take in less than that.

It is simple common sense, caloric deficit leads to loss of fat and weight. Yet, people tend to over complicate this and look for the latest high intensity exercise fad or 'magic' to lose weight/fat. 

As mentioned above, you can't outrun a chocolate bar or other bad foods.

I wasn't able to work out much before my recent Pattaya trip, so wasn't in the best shape going in, but by end of my 3 week vacation trip, I was amazed at how much better I looked and lost a lot of inches around my waist. And this was from eating crap like ice cream, burgers, pizza, etc.

I was able to lose this weight by taking in less calories, but also from walking everywhere. I was probably averaging 4 miles per day of walking all around the city. You don't really think about how much you walk, but it adds up. For lunch I'd walk to the mall, and then afterwards walk around to get a massage or other activities. At night I'd walk to Walking Street and walk all over and back to my hotel. It's amazing that simple walking leads to such great weight loss.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

The best way to get in shape or look better physically, as mentioned by Bangkokbanjo and others, is simply to take in less calories per day than your maintenance calorie level, and exercise to strip off excess fat. Use a program like myfitnesspal to easily calculate what your maintenance calorie level is, and take in less than that.

It is simple common sense, caloric deficit leads to loss of fat and weight. Yet, people tend to over complicate this and look for the latest high intensity exercise fad or 'magic' to lose weight/fat.

As mentioned above, you can't outrun a chocolate bar or other bad foods.

I wasn't able to work out much before my recent Pattaya trip, so wasn't in the best shape going in, but by end of my 3 week vacation trip, I was amazed at how much better I looked and lost a lot of inches around my waist. And this was from eating crap like ice cream, burgers, pizza, etc.

I was able to lose this weight by taking in less calories, but also from walking everywhere. I was probably averaging 4 miles per day of walking all around the city. You don't really think about how much you walk, but it adds up. For lunch I'd walk to the mall, and then afterwards walk around to get a massage or other activities. At night I'd walk to Walking Street and walk all over and back to my hotel. It's amazing that simple walking leads to such great weight loss.

Yes this app is brilliant very large data base of food even the hawker food in singapore is listed here! Since I already joined a 24hr gym near my place I'm gonna go tonight and see if I can complete 20min on the treadmill

Yes this app is brilliant very large data base of food even the hawker food in singapore is listed here! Since I already joined a 24hr gym near my place I'm gonna go tonight and see if I can complete 20min on the treadmill

Good luck mate.

Would be good if you could keep this thread updated with progress good and bad. Could be a useful tool to keep you on track and motivated.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your weight at the moment?

Good luck mate.

Would be good if you could keep this thread updated with progress good and bad. Could be a useful tool to keep you on track and motivated.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your weight at the moment?

94.5kg as of yesterday and I'm 170cm tall. My goal is to get to 70-75kgs. I'll post my weight at the end of the week

94.5kg as of yesterday and I'm 170cm tall. My goal is to get to 70-75kgs

That's not too bad, I was thinking you were 100+.

Funnily enough we're about the same height, but I'm aiming for ~80kg's, currently 89.7 down from 121.

That's not too bad, I was thinking you were 100+.

Funnily enough we're about the same height, but I'm aiming for ~80kg's, currently 89.7 down from 121.

wow you came down from 121! That's amazing. According to the app I should be consuming 2000cal in order to lose 0.5kg a week. My job requires me to walk around a bit and I do spend most of my day on my feet so hopefully I'll lose a bit more. I look forward to the end of 2017 when I'm sitting by the pool in pattaya weighing 70kg leaner trimmer fitter and more energetic and look back and say it's been a great year

wow you came down from 121! That's amazing. According to the app I should be consuming 2000cal in order to lose 0.5kg a week. My job requires me to walk around a bit and I do spend most of my day on my feet so hopefully I'll lose a bit more. I look forward to the end of 2017 when I'm sitting by the pool in pattaya weighing 70kg leaner trimmer fitter and more energetic and look back and say it's been a great year

Great attitude Jonjon. You've got a goal and a realistic time to achieve it. If you've got any questions feel free to PM me  

Great attitude Jonjon. You've got a goal and a realistic time to achieve it. If you've got any questions feel free to PM me

Will do mate...I'll probably be needing help soon with regards to finding a workout program! Well I'm off to the gym now wish me luck!

Once I started actually keeping track of my calories, then I saw progress.

Like I said, it's the most basic and easiest thing to do, but something so many people ignore. 

The problem I see is that people think they can out exercise an excess calorie diet. So for example they'll go on the elliptical for one hour and then do another hour of weights, and then ignore their diet/caloric intake and pig out, thinking that their workout is enough to offset anything they eat. 

It just doesn't work that way and this is a reason why Americans continue to get fat even though they seem to exercise a lot.

One thing that helped me was cutting out a lot of carbs like rice and pasta. When I ate a lot of 'good' fats like meat and avocado and eggs, it kept me fuller longer and so I ended up not wanting to eat as much as before. By my last week in Pattaya, I eating bad foods like ice cream, burgers, pizza, yet I continued to lose weight and inches, and that's because my caloric intake was low. Not to mention I was walking everywhere.

It's like that high school teacher that went on a McDonald's diet where he ate there everyday for a month and lost a lot of weight. That's because his daily caloric intake was lower than his maintenance level.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Well I went to the gym last night and didn't do too well I could only manage about 15mins of cardio 10 mins on the treadmill followed by a break then 5 mins on the stationery bike kinda dissatisfied with my performance but haven't given up yet. Yesterday I consumed 309 calories less than the recommended intake so I'll take that as a win

Archived