Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Want to get in shape but don't know where to start!

Jonjon34

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

need to find a gym and a trainer, they will all have one.   Note:  listen to him and dont give up.   do pushups until you do

"Getting in shape" covers a fair amount of ground.

What kind of shape are you on now? Do you need to lose body fat? Just tone? Build mass?

"Getting in shape" covers a fair amount of ground.

What kind of shape are you on now? Do you need to lose body fat? Just tone? Build mass?

I'm about 20kg overweight and the fats seem to have accumulated around my gut I look terrible and feel tired all the time. It's affecting my whole life

Getting in shape is more to do with your diet than the gym and what you are doing in it. All the push ups, bench presses, squats and deadlifts wont save a godawful diet.

Dietary Tips:

1.) Ween yourself off of alcohol...some say one or two nights a week is fine, not realizing alcohol is still doing damage to your body the next day. 

2.) Limit your carbs from Pasta, Bread, Rice.

3,) Stay away from soda and juices as they have a TON of sugar. Same for sweets (duh).

4.) Drink plenty of water, eat plenty of green vegetables.

5.) Eat 5-7 small meals instead of the 3 massive meals people usually eat.

Gym Tips:

1.) Start slowly, or you will injure yourself.

2.) Stretch before lifting so your muscles are loose.

3.) Don't ego lift...lift what you know you can...if it's small weight so what.

4.) 3 Days a week of high intensity cardio for about 30 mins is a great catalyst for fat loss.

5.) Don't train the same muscle without sufficient rest. Your muscle grows when you are resting.

Other than this...I can't see where to help as "getting in shape" is a very vague phrase.

you make muscles in they gym and a six pack in the kitchen

you gotta do both, diet and exercise

Getting in shape is more to do with your diet than the gym and what you are doing in it. All the push ups, bench presses, squats and deadlifts wont save a godawful diet.

Dietary Tips:

1.) Ween yourself off of alcohol...some say one or two nights a week is fine, not realizing alcohol is still doing damage to your body the next day.

2.) Limit your carbs from Pasta, Bread, Rice.

3,) Stay away from soda and juices as they have a TON of sugar. Same for sweets (duh).

4.) Drink plenty of water, eat plenty of green vegetables.

Gym Tips:

1.) Start slowly, or you will injure yourself.

2.) Stretch before lifting so your muscles are loose.

3.) Don't ego lift...lift what you know you can...if it's small weight so what.

4.) 3 Days a week of high intensity cardio for about 30 mins is a great catalyst for fat loss.

5.) Don't train the same muscle without sufficient rest. Your muscle grows when you are resting.

Other than this...I can't see where to help as "getting in shape" is a very vague phrase.

Will the Internet be a good source for looking for an exercise plan? Or are there any fitness books you would recommend?

I'm about 20kg overweight and the fats seem to have accumulated around my gut I look terrible and feel tired all the time. It's affecting my whole life

You need to fix your diet first, going to the gym will be a waste of time and money if you don't address your diet first.

I lost 15kg's just by calorie counting alone. Once I lost that first amount I then took up road cycling as a means to improve my fitness as well as continuing to calorie count.

Current weight loss to date is 31kg's in just under 12 months.

You need to look at it as a lifestyle change, not so much a quick fix.

Quick fixes will have you falling back into bad habits, with any weight lost quickly reappearing, and most likely adding extra on.

You need to fix your diet first, going to the gym will be a waste of time and money if you don't address your diet first.

I lost 15kg's just by calorie counting alone. Once I lost that first amount I then took up road cycling as a means to improve my fitness as well as continuing to calorie count.

Quick fixes will have you falling back into bad habits, with any weight lost quickly reappearing, and most likely adding extra on.

Thanks buddy feeling really motivated by your weight loss journey!

Thanks buddy feeling really motivated by your weight loss journey!

Find a diet plan that you think you'll be able to maintain long term.

For me calorie counting works best because its not restrictive in terms of what foods you can and cannot eat.

Also find a form of exercise you'll enjoy the most.

I've never fancied running/jogging long distances at any point in my life, but as I have dickie knees that limits what sort of high impact exercises I can do.

Have never stepped foot in a gym and the thought of doing so bores me to tears.

Road cycling is low impact on my knees, but strenuous enough that its impacting my fitness levels. When I first started out I struggled to ride 10kms. Completed a 80km ride yesterday, looking to complete a 100km ride next sunday.

I'll stress it again, you need to look at it as a lifestyle change.

Find a method that'll suit, set small goals you can reset when reached and stay the course.

Good luck mate, it's tough, but well worth it.

Good tips on diet and water.  If the gym seems too complicated, where to start, getting a trainer, or continuing what you have started, the 2 simplest things you can do.

1. Water-drink plenty of it also minding the rest of your diet.  If you are dehydrated, your body will break down muscle for the water-leaving you with only the stored energy (fat), also come into play alcohol, diet, etc. 

2. Walk-In a rut at the gym, just want to vaca for a few weeks but not be a total slob and consume more than you burn?  Go walking every morning.  A different great view of the city, usually safer, can explore other parts of town that you cant see on motorbike.  Only equipment needed is walking shoes.  It also leads me to a different massage shop or restaurant to note that I may want to go back to later.   Just Do It!

To avoid getting discouraged maybe just start walking until you break a sweat or get tired.

Throw in a few calisthenics before and after like jumping jacks situps and pushups.

You may be surprised that you can walk further and longer as time passes.

And doing more repetitions gradually will show your progress and it won't be overwhelming all at once.

just get fitbit and start counting your steps (aim for 10,000 steps a day) .I guess it's the easiest form of exercise out there...

Better to pay for a fantasy than lose to an illusion 

trips to Angeles city 2015/2016    best sexual experience    best condoms

8th  trip 7th trip  6th trip 5th trip micro trip  3rd trip  2nd trip   

maiden trip

trip to lagos

I found getting out of my hammock moved mountains, i've learned to walk again!!   but i fear the rest is all uphill.

Before joining a gym I started by walking the hill near home which is very steep.

It is not a long distance but I started loosing weight and feeling better for it.

Around the same time I cut out drinking flavoured milk and soft drink.

A few months later I joined a gym and just did my own thing, treadmill, bike and some weights and my weight slow decreased.

It took 20 years to put on and was not coming off in a few weeks / months.

While at the gym I started trying the rowing machine, found the Concept2 forum and joined a virtual team.

There are monthly challenges and I used these as motivation to work harder and improve my times.

But I over did it and injured myself, looking back I should of had a trainer a couple of days a week to get me out of any comfort zone I was in because I stopped the bike, treadmill and weights and concentrated on the rower.

I was fit for a fat guy though and the ladies were surprised I could last as long as I did and they were sweating and out of breathe while I was ready for more.

It is also not just about getting in shape but feeling better, I am still fat and need to lose more weight but exercising keeps me from feeling tired, fat, lethargic, whatever. I just feel better for it.

The other thing is to set goals and make them achievable.

I hate the cross trainer and would only stay on there 10 minutes (first time I did 5) and after a couple of weeks made it 15, now I am at 30 minutes which was my goal.

i wouldn't recommend a trainer if you are total beginner or very out of shape, it would just be a waste of money. Save it for when you really want to get into shape and your body is able to handle it!

just walk for an hour each day, preferably first thing you do when you wake up (on an empty stomach) but don't worry if you can't do that, just walk an hour a day anytime.

Do that for a month or two, you should lose at least 5 to 10kg.

Then you can start doing weights etc after that as your body will be more in tune for it...

Will the Internet be a good source for looking for an exercise plan? Or are there any fitness books you would recommend?

Yeah sure...but mostly the internet sites will just tell you the names of the exercise and how to do it but won't really show you. That's when you couple it with Youtube so you can actually see how it's done.

This is the key tip so far. You have to increase the speed of your metabolism so it burns calories instead of turning them into body fat.

Think of it as working a muscle.

Eating several small meals a day will give your metabolism a "workout" without overwhelming it. NEVER skip breakfast. Your metabolism hasn't had anything to do since you ate the night before. A reasonable size breakfast (nothing huge) will get it cranking for the day.

Then several small meals and/or snacks throughout the day will keep fueling it (working it out) without overwhelming it. 

It will take time, but eventually you will have a faster metabolism that burns whatever calories you take in. When the body (metabolism) is overwhelmed  by calories, it is helpless to do anything with them but turn them into fat. 

The faster metabolism, in combination with exercise, will also burn the existing fat you are caring around now.

Find a diet plan that you think you'll be able to maintain long term.

For me calorie counting works best because its not restrictive in terms of what foods you can and cannot eat.

Also find a form of exercise you'll enjoy the most.

I've never fancied running/jogging long distances at any point in my life, but as I have dickie knees that limits what sort of high impact exercises I can do.

Have never stepped foot in a gym and the thought of doing so bores me to tears.

Road cycling is low impact on my knees, but strenuous enough that its impacting my fitness levels. When I first started out I struggled to ride 10kms. Completed a 80km ride yesterday, looking to complete a 100km ride next sunday.

I'll stress it again, you need to look at it as a lifestyle change.

Find a method that'll suit, set small goals you can reset when reached and stay the course.

Good luck mate, it's tough, but well worth it.

Good advice to the OP Gents. I think I read somewhere that weight loss is around 80% dietary. Going the the gym is 20% but the feel good effect makes it seem more. There ain't no shortcuts. Don't give up and feel great about doing it. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think it is not a question of diet in the sense of the word, but being considerate of what you eat and drink.

Most people nowadays know what they should limit.  Then it becomes a choice.

How would I determine the suitable amount of calories to consume?

Eat less than you usually do, move more than you usually do. Guaranteed weight loss.

As a lot have said diet is key. You are what you eat.

The web is a great free resource. Just google training plan for weight loss.

I only keep fit as a hobby but only ever made my own training plans from what I've found online and its worked well for me.

Good luck mate hope you reach your goals

How would I determine the suitable amount of calories to consume?

I do about 1500.

You could go as low as 800, but that's extreme. Give 1500 a go and see how you manage, if it's too low then up it to 1800, I wouldn't go any higher than that though. If you feel you could manage 1200 then try that.

FYI the lower the calorie amount, the lower the food intake. Too low and you'll feel depleted, too high and you'll struggle to lose weight.

No matter what diet plan you go with you need to lower your food intake. And regardless of the method the first couple of weeks will be the hardest until your body adapts. Try and push through but if you need to up your intake for one day, then do it. No good starving yourself. As long as you get back on track the next day then its all good.

I have a cheat meal once a fortnight as a "reward". It's still a somewhat healthy option, the only thing is it tips me well over the 1500 calories for the day. No biggie, back on the wagon the next day and its all good. A long term plan doesn't get derailed by one meal.

There's little tips and tricks to fool your stomach into thinking it's full, like taking big gulps of water whilst you're eating. Apparently nuts are an appetite suppressant, doesn't work for me, but could for you.

Spread your calories over 4-5 meals, 5 being ideal, but 4 suits my day better. You can find meal plans online to give you an idea of how plan out your day depending on the types of food you like to eat. Every item of food has a caloric value, so as long as you can fit it within your daily limit, then nothing is off the menu.

Diets that eliminate certain foods isn't ideal for me, I don't like that sort of restriction. I prefer to eat what I want when I want, so long as it fits within my 1500 limit.

Download myfitnesspal app for your phone it has a calorie counter which makes it a whole lot easier to count your intake for the day/week.

Ditch all soft drinks and drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Walk as much as you can if your job allows it, if you have a sedentary type job then go for a brisk 1 hour walk either before or after work.

Once you've started to lose weight it will become easier to up your exercise activity. For the first month the only exercise I did was walking to and from the train station on the way to work, about 1km one way, as well as walking alot during work. After a month I lost about 10kg, then started to look into cycling.

If you join a gym I would focus on cardio for now, treadmill, elliptical, bike, row machine. Start out slow, increase intensity as your fitness levels pick up.

Once again, you need to look at it as a lifestyle change, this will make it easier to keep on track. Think long term health, with mini goals along the way.

Archived