IGNORED

ShamaLama Ding Dong on Naklua Road

Evil Penevil

post-6485-0-62966900-1484148964.jpg

With a name like ShamaLama Ding Dong, it's got to be good!

post-6485-0-44563400-1484148968.jpg

post-6485-0-45003600-1484148972.jpg

The unusual name goes well with the eclectic but appealing decor of a restaurant on Naklua Road that flies the Portuguese flag and bills itself as "fusion," a trendy word for a combination of different cuisines.

post-6485-0-73004200-1484150666.jpg

(FaceBook photo)

post-6485-0-70823100-1484149065.jpg

post-6485-0-87271800-1484149069.jpg

ShamaLama Ding Dong's menu is  as varied as its decor: Portuguese, Thai, Tex-Mex and a wide selection of burgers and hot dogs.

post-6485-0-14304600-1484149074.jpgpost-6485-0-30725200-1484149082.jpg

I've eaten at SLDD twice so far and was happy with the meals I've had. However, its location (between sois 18/1 and 18 on Naklua Road) means a 20 to 25-minute baht-bus ride to get there from where  I live and at least 30 minutes to return home, so I doubt I'll be a frequent customer because of the travel time. The food itself would keep me coming back and if I have reason to be in Naklua, I'll be sure to visit SLDD again. For those of you who use pizza parlors as landmarks, SLDD is across the street from Pizza Big and a few doors south of Domino's.

post-6485-0-76648700-1484150584.jpg

(lifted from Pattaya Mail; I didn't take a pic of the 88-baht menu.)

In addition to its catchy name, ShamaLama Ding Dong has generated some buzz with its "Buy 2, Get 3" offer. SLDD has a limited number of 88-baht items and diners who buy two of them get a third for free. The first time I ate at SLDD the special offer wasn't available, but it was back on the second time.

I had the following three items: fish 'n chips; a Portuguese pork sandwich called a bifana; and three canape-sized hamburgers. 

9a

post-6485-0-43583400-1484149445.jpg

and the homemade peach ice tea.

post-6485-0-52371500-1484149440.jpg

All of the dishes were good but small.  They were tasting or appetizer-sized portions. 

post-6485-0-98612300-1484149452.jpg

It would depend on which 88-baht items you chose, but three together probably wouldn't be enough food to satisfy the guys with big appetites.  However,  176 baht for three dishes is certainly value for money.  Not everyone who steps into a restaurant is ravenously hungry and the three items could be enough for them.  I know they were for me.  I didn't leave SLDD feeling hungry; I wasn't even tempted to order another dish or dessert.

post-6485-0-29271100-1484149449.jpg

The mini fish 'n chips were excellent. The fish was tasty and the breading was light but crispy, same-same with the chopstick fries. The canape hamburgers were OK, bite-sized and spicy, but I doubt I'd order them again. There just doesn't seem to be much point with such small burgers, except perhaps as canapes at a party.

post-6485-0-95200600-1484149455.jpg

For me, the bifana was the meal's highlight. I'd never had a Portuguese pork sandwich before, but I was delighted to make its acquaintance. 

post-6485-0-56839500-1484149459.jpg

The pork had been marinated and then grilled. The meat was tender and juicy.  The bun had been baked on the premises and was among the better I've had in Pattaya. A delicious sandwich, one which I'll definitely have again.

The second time I went to SLDD, I wanted to try a couple of dishes I spotted on the menu during my initial visit. I had the crispy pork with basil and minced garlic at 250 baht. 

post-6485-0-12832700-1484151596.jpg

A touch of citrus (lime?) helped balance the fattiness of the pork belly. It wasn't a large portion, but filling. I'm a big fan of pork belly dishes, assuming they are made of high-quality pork and cooked properly.  SLDD got it right on both counts.

post-6485-0-94405000-1484151598.jpg

I still had room for dessert.  I had wanted to try the chocolate lava cake at 150 baht, but it wasn't available, so I took the chocolate fudge cake at 125 baht.

post-6485-0-76836700-1484151601.jpg

It was light with a rich chocolate taste, but not too sweet. The lady who served me said she had baked it herself. post-6485-0-39221600-1484150586.jpg

post-6485-0-31083700-1484151605.jpg

The menu at SLDD is big, but I'm taking about physical size, not the number of dishes.

post-6485-0-18233100-1484149463.jpg  

The menu card is about two feet by 18 inches, printed and laminated on both sides. The "main page" features a lot of burger

options, ranging in size from the Triple Mess down to the canape burgers. Four kinds of hot dogs are also featured.  On the Tex-Mex side, SLDD offers chili con carne, a burrito and nachos as well burgers and hot dogs with Tex=Mex touches.  The caption for the chili con carne reads, "Mexican chili so authentic Trump would build a wall around it."

post-6485-0-42392200-1484149467.jpg

Oh, dear, as my Grandma would say.  Despite its Spanish language name, chili con carne is as American as cherry pie.  The hugely popular  dish that has become an international favorite has it roots not in Mexico but as one-pot cooking along the 19th-century cattle and wagon trails of the U.S. There's nothing in authentic Mexican cuisine that resembles chili con carne.

post-6485-0-56583500-1484149471.jpg

SLDD puts emphasis on coffee and smoothies, but also has a full range of alcoholic beverages, including cocktails and sangria, a citrusy wine punch.

post-6485-0-00834100-1484149078.jpg

A handful of Portuguese dishes, such as the iconic carne de porco à Alentejana (pork with clams), round out the menu. Prices are reasonable for the high-quality food you receive.

post-6485-0-83186700-1484149474.jpg

SLDD has a "Man vs Food" challenge regarding one of its hamburgers.  The restaurant's FaceBook page says 25 diners have so far attempted the challenge, but only one has succeeded.

Bottom line:  ShamaLama Ding Dong offers interesting and tasty food in comfortable surroundings, but its out-of-the-way location will tend to limit the number of customers.  Best of luck in the Pattaya restaurant shark pool!  The town needs more places that show some originality while upholding high standards of quality.

Evil

devil.gif

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Thanks again for one of your great reviews and "The town needs more places that show some originality while upholding high standards of quality.'" is certainly something we all must agree on.

The short lived Bite Me Bistro was a great loss, although its supposed to be involved in Retox 3 aka Robin Hood in the future, I cant see how they will blend into a place that is a noisy beer swilling sports bar in a previously unsuccessful location.

It does seem that there are enough people aroundwho are both able and capable to set up restaurants offering food which is innovative, compared to sausage egg & chips, and of high quality but they seem to start up in off the beaten track locations, Bite Me on 3rd Road and this one in Naklua.are good examples.

In a place where your counting on a resident market for your trade people will travel to it but when your depending on tourists you must be based in a place of high tourist foot traffic.

I guess its the rents that deter people from choosing such locations for their businesses but starting one is a huge risk anyway so why not give it the best chance of success by picking the right location to start with ? 

A handful of Portuguese dishes, such as the iconic carne de porco à Alentejana (pork with clams), round out the menu. Prices are reasonable for the high-quality food you receive.

Bottom line:  ShamaLama Ding Dong offers interesting and tasty food in comfortable surroundings, but its out-of-the-way location will tend to limit the number of customers.  Best of luck in the Pattaya restaurant shark pool!  The town needs more places that show some originality while upholding high standards of quality.

Evil
devil.gif

Thanks once again. Having spent some time in Rio, I am fond of Portuguese food. I actually make carne de porco à Alentejana at home, including the Massa de Pimentão (Sweet Red Pepper Paste) from scratch. Unfortunately, this place is gonna be a haul from where I am setting up base camp in February.

Actually, there is an authentic Mexican dish called carne con chile.

Extremely delicious when done well which is the only way I've had it.

The item pictured on the menu at the Ding Dong place, yes, is an American style chile con carne. 

I reckon no restaurant in Thailand is doing Mexican carne con chile.

https://likeinmexico.com/2013/06/04/carne-con-chile-authentic-mexican-chilli-con-carne/

Carne con Chile – Authentic Mexican Chile con Carne.

The item pictured on the menu at the Ding Dong place, yes, is an American style chile con carne. 

https://likeinmexico.com/2013/06/04/carne-con-chile-authentic-mexican-chilli-con-carne/

Yes carne con chile, often called carne con chile verde, is a traditional and authentic Mexican dish. However, it has no relation to the Tex-Mex chili con carne other than a similar-sounding name. Until the 1950s, only pork was used as the carne in the Mexican dish and the flavor profile is entirely different.  The classic Texas "pot of red" was made from  chunks of beef,  chiles and onions with cumin seed as the seasoning. It probably had its origin in cowboy chuck wagon cooking.  The version of chili con carne with which most of us are more familiar is called Springfield chilli (two l's) and added tomato sauce and beans to the Texas original.  In the 20th century, ground beef was often substituted for cubes of beef.

Evil

:

No shout out in the decor to Otis Day and The Knights?

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

RMPM has a decent one

Evil....looks like a fun place

No shout out in the decor to Otis Day and The Knights?

Not that I could see.   I wonder if the owner is aware of the background of ShamaLama Ding Dong or just chose it as an unusual name.

Evil

RMPM has a decent one

Evil....looks like a fun place

I'm sure they're doing the American version.

Speaking of which Smokin' Joes does some nice chile con carne, on special Mondays until 5 p.m. too. 

Archived