Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Third METV just received

Bek

There has been some discussion in other threads on whether obtaining back to back METV is possible.

I had my first METV a month after they introduced the METV back in November 2015. The next one I got July last year, and I just received a third one a few days ago... so back to back (to back) METV doesn't seem to be a problem. The only hitch I had, was that I had to send a new picture, as I had used the same picture as last application ;)

I'm a danish citizen, so all of them have been issued by the Thai embassy in Denmark... no problems at all, and always willing to assist if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news. I guess no known reason why they wouldn't allow 3 or more

I agree, but there has been some speculation on whether you will be seen as a "real" tourist or not, if you repeatedly enter Thailand a number of times over an extended period of time. I have previously had some problems a few times entering on the visa waiver programme, which is why I switched to the METV.

You have to show that you have a bit of money to get the visa, maybe that's all they care about.

I agree, but there has been some speculation on whether you will be seen as a "real" tourist or not, if you repeatedly enter Thailand a number of times over an extended period of time. I have previously had some problems a few times entering on the visa waiver programme, which is why I switched to the METV.

You have to show that you have a bit of money to get the visa, maybe that's all they care about.

Yes there has been speculation mainly due to the theoretical visa exempt limit of 3, but the issue there makes sense. People are coming and going but not paying a visa fee, i think they want the fees.

Yes there has been speculation mainly due to the theoretical visa exempt limit of 3, but the issue there makes sense. People are coming and going but not paying a visa fee, i think they want the fees.

Sounds plausible - the fee is approx. 6000 bath in Denmark. I don't mind paying that for not being questioned and asked to buy breakfast for the immigration officers - it's not like entry to my own country is easier.

A friend of mine is here on a METV. He's coming up on his first 60 days and trying to figure out the best way to proceed since he'll be here at least another 2 months. 

If he does a visa run to Cambodia will they stamp it for another 60 days?

He asked at Jomtien today and at a couple of visa run places and was basically told "they should" but not very confidently! 

A friend of mine is here on a METV. He's coming up on his first 60 days and trying to figure out the best way to proceed since he'll be here at least another 2 months. 

He asked at Jomtien today and at a couple of visa run places and was basically told "they should" but not very confidently! 

Nothing is ever guaranteed with Thai visas. If they don't suspect he is working then shouldn't be a problem. 

Nothing is ever guaranteed with Thai visas. If they don't suspect he is working then shouldn't be a problem. 

Thanks for replying! He's not working and it's his first time in Thailand so that shouldn't be an issue.

What's got him concerned is when he got the METV the consulate told him he had to "fly" out and that was also the first thing the woman at Jomtien said......"fly" somewhere. After checking with someone she said a Cambodia visa run should be ok. He just doesn't want to go through all that if they are only going to stamp it for 30 days instead of 60. 

I think he should be ok but I wanted to get other opinions to see if there's any reason to be concerned. 

If you can't get a definitive answer, I would take a 1-2 day side trip by flight. Actually I would do that under any circumstances, to avoid a mini-van drive to Cambodia...

I am on my second METV, I have always been given 60 days at land border crossings.

I once made the mistake of not putting my visa number on the immigration form coming back into Thailand from Laos and was only given 30 days, I went back and they changed it to 60 days without an issue.

Adi

Money Can't Buy Life Robert Nesta Marley

I am on my second METV, I have always been given 60 days at land border crossings.

I once made the mistake of not putting my visa number on the immigration form coming back into Thailand from Laos and was only given 30 days, I went back and they changed it to 60 days without an issue.

Adi

Great - thanks! I passed it along. 

I have had the triple entry tourist visa in the past, never had an issue.

I always open the passport to my visa page, tell the officer , and always check to make sure he stamps it for 60 days.

This has applied to both air and land crossings.

They want us to apply for the proper visa rather than doing visa runs, soi don't see an issue for getting the time stay for which the visa was applied for.

Great info, I think he should be ok. 

I haven't yet had to deal with visa runs, all my trips have been under 30 or under 60 days (except my current one, which will require a visit to Jomtien to extend since I'll be 63 days due to thinking in terms of 2 months). I know this is O.T. for this thread, but I can't understand any logic behind the requirement to leave the country every 60 days with the METV? Is there any rationale or do they just want to cause aggravation for the people getting this visa? You have to jump through a few hoops to get it in the first place, and it isn't cheap. Do they really want to encourage visa runs to the border? Wouldn't some sort of 60 day reporting make more sense? 

I hope to do a longer trip next year so I will have to figure out what to do for a visa. I'm hoping they'll come out with other visas but I don't know how likely that is. Aren't there a TON of people from colder climates who want to spend 3-5 months here - why do they want to make it difficult? 

The Thai logic behind their Visa's are difficult to figure out - but it's still a lot easier for me to get a visa to Thailand, than it is for a Thai to get a visa for my country.

I think the METV was meant for "local" ASEAN tourists - weekend hoppers from neighboring countries. In that case a 60 day limit shouldn't be a problem.

If that's the case, then there's no visa meant for someone from a western country who wants to come for more than 60 days. I know you can extend it for 30 days, but then what? Not to mention the fact that the 30 day extension cost almost twice as much as the initial 60 day visa (in CAD anyway) - seems like they are trying to discourage someone from staying longer than 60 days. 

I hope to retire as early as later this year if things fall into place. I don't plan on moving here so a retirement visa wouldn't make sense for me. I would like to come for 3 - 5 months every winter. Their visas give the impression they don't want someone in my situation to come here. Aren't there a LOT of people who want to do this? 

Let me know if I'm missing something. 

If that's the case, then there's no visa meant for someone from a western country who wants to come for more than 60 days. I know you can extend it for 30 days, but then what? Not to mention the fact that the 30 day extension cost almost twice as much as the initial 60 day visa (in CAD anyway) - seems like they are trying to discourage someone from staying longer than 60 days. 

I hope to retire as early as later this year if things fall into place. I don't plan on moving here so a retirement visa wouldn't make sense for me. I would like to come for 3 - 5 months every winter. Their visas give the impression they don't want someone in my situation to come here. Aren't there a LOT of people who want to do this? 

Let me know if I'm missing something. 

Yes they want tourists coming to spend lots of money not people who aren't retired coming to live somewhere as long as they can for as cheap as they can which they feel are the majority of people under 50 who want to stay for that long.

Yes they want tourists coming to spend lots of money not people who aren't retired coming to live somewhere as long as they can for as cheap as they can which they feel are the majority of people under 50 who want to stay for that long.

If that's their attitude it's not well thought out. I'm talking about people who ARE retired and have money to spend who simply want to come here for the winter and not live here. "Snowbirds" as they are referred to at home, people who stay in Canada in the summer and go elsewhere for the winter. 

Archived