IGNORED

Do you feel offended when a Thai calls you Kee Niao/Cheap Charlie?

Magic040

Well its not like my day is ruined after being called a Cheap Charlie but it makes me feel disrespected especially since its a non-1st world country where well over 95% of the people would not even think to spend 80 baht on a small bottle of sprite plus i traveled a long way to spend my hard-earned money there out of the nearly 200 countries i can pick from.

You can get an entire meal plus drink for 80 baht in Isaan and even in some places up North.

The cost of the sprite is irrelevant to whether or not you tip. Why does this seem beyond your comprehension?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its not like my day is ruined after being called a Cheap Charlie but it makes me feel disrespected especially since its a non-1st world country where well over 95% of the people would not even think to spend 80 baht on a small bottle of sprite plus i traveled a long way to spend my hard-earned money there out of the nearly 200 countries i can pick from.

You can get an entire meal plus drink for 80 baht in Isaan and even in some places up North.

You can get a fucking meal for 80 baht including drink in Pattaya too.

Make a point...or leave.

You can get a fucking meal for 80 baht including drink in Pattaya too.

Make a point...or leave.

That's nice to know, haven't been there yet.

I made my point.

1. you weren't in Isaan. you were in Bangkok and Patong, two of the most expensive cities in Thailand. if you want an entire meal with drink for 80 baht, then go to Isaan.

2. let's be realistic. we all know why you chose to go to Bangkok and Patong. most of us have done the same. that is why we choose Thailand. there are only a handful (not 200) of countries that can offer such activities. and for most of us, Thailand is at the top of the list.

3. most importantly, respect goes both ways. from a server's perspective, by not tipping, you are disrespecting them. you are telling them that their service was not good enough. just because they are not a 1st world country does not mean they do not deserve the same respect as someone from a more developed country. the server does not dictate the price of the sprite. in essence, you are punishing the messenger for something they have no control over. the tip is not for the bar owner, it is for the service staff.

Have you also noticed how high the prices are in Japan to start with?  FFS...

Yes, i also noticed the better service.

quality of service in Japan is not related to the price you are paying. great service can be expected anywhere and everywhere in Japan, from McDonald's to a high end sushi restaurant. they do not care who you are or where you are from. everyone receives great service.

Japan is a a country where  tipping is not accepted. it is opposite of most other countries. tipping is considered rude. good service is not to be rewarded, but is part of your job. this mentality has been ingrained in their culture. great service and being helpful to anyone is standard practice in work and personal lives.

yes, prices are higher than Thailand, but they are in line with other advanced countries.

quality of service in Japan is not related to the price you are paying. great service can be expected anywhere and everywhere in Japan, from McDonald's to a high end sushi restaurant. they do not care who you are or where you are from. everyone receives great service.

Japan is a a country where  tipping is not accepted. it is opposite of most other countries. tipping is considered rude. good service is not to be rewarded, but is part of your job. this mentality has been ingrained in their culture. great service and being helpful to anyone is standard practice in work and personal lives.

yes, prices are higher than Thailand, but they are in line with other advanced countries.

I have alternative view of the parts highlighted in your post (agree with the rest)  Yes, Japan, like most developed economies, is high wage/high price, but I would argue that in some economies, the US perhaps the most prominent, certain consumer sectors, overall compensation factor in an expected gratuity component when determine basic salaries.  Japan, for the reasons mentioned in your post, does not.  Wage levels are determined free of any tipping component, but with the expectation of workers delivering excellent service in order to justify high prices (often higher in Japan than other developed economies e.g, supermarket fresh food section). As such, price and service are still related in Japan, albeit in a less tangible way than in a  tipping culture.

Opposite to most countries? Britain, Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, ....most countries I've been to have been ones where tipping isn't regularly practiced. Obviously this is going to be different for a North American.

Opposite to most countries? Britain, Australia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, ....most countries I've been to have been ones where tipping isn't regularly practiced. Obviously this is going to be different for a North American.

In restaurants?  Tipping very common in UK  and it happens in HK, OZ and NZ as well.

• 3 weeks later...

the girls working service get shit money and depend on tips. Right or wrong, thats the way it is. If you say the owner should pay them more and they do your 80 baht beer will be 90 or 100. This is the way it is and you cant fight that

I am not telling you you have to tip, up to you, but you will get this reaction often. I always tip but that is just me. as they say Up to You

That might be true but they should keep there mouths shut.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's America's fault.

Yep probably is they always Tip even when they get a bad service what's that about. I have herd most Thais don't tip most of the time some people disagree with that I don't know myself. If there is nothing what makes me more Angry in a bar is Geting called cheap because you won't buy a drink for a lady who is boring you to death, or you don't fill like talking to any at that moment. Fucking diabolical bad mouthing the customers.

I can't agree more

EDIT

haha I forgot to quote the post now it looks like I am agreeing with my own post lol.

Fucking Tapatalk

There are CCs from every country and overtippers the same.  Let's move on.

Op, yeah I can understand paying for drink one at a time to avoid scam, but she may not know you will tip 20 baht on your last drink, and I agree you should not tip 20 with each drink.  Since you are not in altered mental state from alcohol, you should be able to read bin and avoid scam easily.  Tipping the 20 baht at end of a 3 soda bin is fine.  Tipping nothing on first and maybe only drink and she has no idea if that was your first or last, yeah, in her eyes you are a CC.  Rightfully so.  Its not drinking sprite rather than beer that makes you labeled, its the Zero tip.

I drink less alcohol nowadays also, but if at a bar looking at their girls will at least order a soda water (even if I don't want a drink) and tip 20 baht to server at check bin time, more to lap sitters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Only if they have girls/ladyboys in sexy outfits walking around.

Then I'd spend more time in7/11. :GoldenSmile1:

Robw

• 5 months later...

ขี้เหนียว , khee niaao means something like  stingy; miserly; parsimonious; cheap, etc...

It is insulting, rude to say that to anybody.

People who using those words usualy are ...

• 3 weeks later...
There are CCs from every country and overtippers the same.  Let's move on.
Op, yeah I can understand paying for drink one at a time to avoid scam, but she may not know you will tip 20 baht on your last drink, and I agree you should not tip 20 with each drink.  Since you are not in altered mental state from alcohol, you should be able to read bin and avoid scam easily.  Tipping the 20 baht at end of a 3 soda bin is fine.  Tipping nothing on first and maybe only drink and she has no idea if that was your first or last, yeah, in her eyes you are a CC.  Rightfully so.  Its not drinking sprite rather than beer that makes you labeled, its the Zero tip.
I drink less alcohol nowadays also, but if at a bar looking at their girls will at least order a soda water (even if I don't want a drink) and tip 20 baht to server at check bin time, more to lap sitters. 
@George810 or any BM care to chime in. Why should OP not tip with each drink, since OP paid for drink one at a time? I'm curious because I would tip each time 20 baht if I were to pay for my drink one at a time.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, 2ndchance said:

@George810 or any BM care to chime in. Why should OP not tip with each drink, since OP paid for drink one at a time? I'm curious because I would tip each time 20 baht if I were to pay for my drink one at a time.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Because Thailand  is not USA  

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, 2ndchance said:

One should not tip on each drink in that situation because depending on how long you plan to stay and how many drinks, the tip divided may be 5-10 each drink, or just 20 at the end of bin after 3-5 drinks.  If you tip each drink, it might be 120 at the end instead of just 20.  Looks like we are completing a full circle back to beginning post.  If of sober mind and able to pay attention to bin scams, total and settle at end and a 20 baht tip-that's plenty. 

Let's also keep in mind that the Op said this  :  .. ." I mean 80 baht for a small bottle of soda... that's even more expensive than in the West so why should i tip, right? "  and is obviously oblivious to what he is paying for.  The LD, or cost of a beer, or even a sprite is not for the Liquid itself, it is for the 'place' that you are in where that Liquid is provided...a bar (mostly air conditioned) with tons of incredibly beautiful semi-naked Thai girls.  80 baht is about 2.50 usd.  Can you tell me of strip clubs in USA  where you get a soda for that and enjoy naked women?  Apply the same principle to the LD, which is often a quarter shot or even non-alcoholic...it is the lapdance and/or company that comes along with it. 

Op, I am not bashing you for avoiding the potential scam, but I am for not tipping at all.  If you really want a 25 baht soda, there is a 7-11 on every corner, where a ladyboy to your fancy will dance and strip for you. 

20 baht each drink, or 100 on a 3 drink bin is a lot, but not even leaving 20 baht on a 240baht bin...?.. yeah, that's CC

One should not tip on each drink in that situation because depending on how long you plan to stay and how many drinks, the tip divided may be 5-10 each drink, or just 20 at the end of bin after 3-5 drinks.  If you tip each drink, it might be 120 at the end instead of just 20.  Looks like we are completing a full circle back to beginning post.  If of sober mind and able to pay attention to bin scams, total and settle at end and a 20 baht tip-that's plenty. 
Let's also keep in mind that the Op said this  :  .. ." I mean 80 baht for a small bottle of soda... that's even more expensive than in the West so why should i tip, right? "  and is obviously oblivious to what he is paying for.  The LD, or cost of a beer, or even a sprite is not for the liquid itself, it is for the 'place' that you are in where that liquid is provided...a bar (mostly air conditioned) with tons of incredibly beautiful semi-naked Thai girls.  80 baht is about 2.50 usd.  Can you tell me of strip clubs in USA  where you get a soda for that and enjoy naked women?  Apply the same principle to the LD, which is often a quarter shot or even non-alcoholic...it is the lapdance and/or company that comes along with it. 
Op, I am not bashing you for avoiding the potential scam, but I am for not tipping at all.  If you really want a 25 baht soda, there is a 7-11 on every corner, where a ladyboy to your fancy will dance and strip for you. 
20 baht each drink, or 100 on a 3 drink bin is a lot, but not even leaving 20 baht on a 240baht bin...?.. yeah, that's CC
Very well explained, thank you@George810. I'm glad I asked, I learned something.

Sounds like a 20 baht tip for a 3-5 drinks bin is the norm in Patts. As such, is it reasonable for me to use that to calculate bin tipping (e.g. 40 baht for 6 - 10 drinks, 60 baht for 11 - 15 drinks)? I just want to make sure that I don't under-tip the servers as they also need to make a living to support their family.

I'm used to 1 $USD tip everytime the server bring me a beer in Mexico's strip clubs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ive stopped drinking in a very popular bar in Soi 6 because I was basically harassed and verbally abused 2 times in there . It's a shame because it's a good bar good music cheap beer nice customers and the guy who owns it or runs it is a great bloke. The first time it happend to me I Sat down ordered a beer checked my emails realised I had something very important to do right away on The Internet and asked for the WiFi password. The lady pointed to a sign or something and then replied "I help you you buy me 1 drink" No sorry I said(thinking to me fuck me are you taking the piss or what) and carried on trying to quickly sort out what ever I had to do. Then she continued to harass me for about 3 mins for a drink . I got up and just walked to another part of the bar she then followed me looked right at me gave me filthy look she looked like she was going to abuse me again but just walked of. The second time It happened to me In there I was minding my own business when this pissed up middle age lady decided to start talking to me. Nothing wrong with that of course most times but this time was different. I got the usual boring interview. Where you come from how old are you etc etc. Bores me to death at the best of times but at this precise time Trump was being signed in that was definitely more interesting then her. I answered all her questions politely and truthfully when it got to the how long holiday bit I told her I live here. She asked me if I work here no I said. This confused her simple mind so you are rich then? No how can you live here your parents send you money no I said they are both dead she then called me a bullshiter. After about 2 mins I told her where my money comes from not that It was any of her business. And then continued to call me a bullshiter to every single thing I said for the next 15 mins. Basically because none of it fits into the normal way she sees foreigners. You are on holiday or you work here or you are retired or rich.She then asked me for a drink no sorry And I ordered one for myself. At this point I thought she would have left me alone but no alas she carried on annoying me for the next 15 mins all the time basically calling me a bullshiter. Then she asked me again for a drink no I said and checked bin. She then said I talk to you for long time and you not buy me a drink. At this point I reminded her that she basically been rude to me for the last 20 mins or so and I didn't ask you to talk to me so why would I buy someone a drink who accused me of lieing about my parents death(I made sure I said this all very politely). She then said something in Thia to the cashier which had the words cheap Charlie in there. The look I got of the cashier was fucking unbelievable. Since then I have never been back. It's a shame because it a nice bar and I have bought Lady drinks in there before but I don't reward rudeness and bad service with lady drinks that's for certain. It's unbelievable when you think about it I know she where was pissed . But to get harassed by a pissed up middle aged minger for half hour in a bar(who's staff) then get called a cheap Charlie when you don't buy her a drink and dirty looks of the cashier is fucking Unforgivable and I won't be drinking in there again.

No. I don't tip persons who have their hand out. Up to me.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Not really. While I do like to be liked, I am not going to spend my money the way some else thinks I should. Maybe if some of these critics were a little wiser with their money they would have more of it.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2017 at 10:24, Magic040 said:

For example i was sitting on the outside of a bar in Soi Cowboy in 2013, I order a Sprite (I stopped drinking alcohol in 2012 because i woke up one day with yellow eyes and a swollen liver, got anti-biotics for 1 month and since that happened i'm scared to drink) and as i always do, I pay for my drink as soon as i get it (to prevent getting scammed), the drink was 80 baht if i remember correctly so i paid with 4 bills of 20 baht, server was looking over my shoulder in my wallet and saw a bunch of 100's and as she walks back inside she calls me "Cheap Charlie".

I didn't had the chance to reply to her but in the other situations I always said "No, i am Smart Sammy" or "I am Wise Willy".

Do you think this was a Cheap Charlie action? I don't think so. I mean 80 baht for a small bottle of soda... that's even more expensive than in the West so why should i tip, right?

I was in a club the other night and I ordered a bottle of water. She told me it would be 170.  I said okay, then she double-checked to see if I had understood. When she brought it, I was fumbling about in my wallet, so she took out exactly 170 and went on a way, no thought of a tip. I guess it depends on the server and the situation.

Archived