IGNORED

Do you feel offended when a Thai calls you Kee Niao/Cheap Charlie?

Magic040

WTF? Mongers, not tippers = ATMs.  Your excuses are not getting better as this thread progresses.

That's why i said "even more".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think its normal to look over someone's shoulder to check how much money that person got in his wallet?

No I don't. But whether she did or not, it doesn't change the fact you had no intention on tipping. And in the long run none of this matters. This isn't the first time you've been called cheap, and probably won't be the last time.

somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours. = Dutch Cheap Charlie

Why do you assume somebody that does this kind of thing = a Dutch person?

No I don't. But whether she did or not, it doesn't change the fact you had no intention on tipping. And in the long run none of this matters. This isn't the first time you've been called cheap, and probably won't be the last time.

Being called cheap 3 or 4 times in 16 months is not that many in Thailand, had she been very friendly and asked me how my stay in Thailand was etc. i might have gave her a 20 baht tip.   

I've never been called "Cheap" in the 16 other countries i've visited.

Why do you assume that I'm assuming. I'm half Dutch and only half as tight as you

What else would you call this then if its not an assumption?

Me:

A Cheap Charlie imo is somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours.

You:

Somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours = Dutch Cheap Charlie

What else would you call this then if its not an assumption?

Me:

A Cheap Charlie imo is somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours.

You:

Somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours = Dutch Cheap Charlie

The magic is gone...

Keep on tipping 20 baht for 80 baht soda guys but realize most will laugh behind your back and think you're ting tong.

No! Never. 

Thai girls like and often use that stupid phrase, feeling that foreigners bring in a sense of regret and cause bad feeling in it.

Always I use the word "thrifty" in the Thai language and is immediately calm without further comments. Many times there is no reason to call farang Cheap Charlie and yet this silly conjunction hear, as happened townscape speaking girls attempt to provoke the foreigners feel they acted improperly and outside the norm. The opposite is true, and this silly phrase has only one goal - maximizing personal or bar profit.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

The magic is gone...

What kind of response is that?

Can't you just answer the question, admit you made a false assumption and basically called 17 million people cheap charlie's?

What kind of response is that?

Can't you just answer the question, admit you made a false assumption and basically called 17 million people cheap charlie's?

As tiresome as you are. I will respond. 'The magic is gone' is a play on your name and a recent thread which was tiresome like you but at least entertaining. As I am half-Dutch and have spent a lot of time in Holland I believe I can speak with some credibility on the matter. There are always exceptions, but generally the Dutch are comparatively tight, which IMO is attributable to another Dutch characteristc, namely pragmatism, manifested in this context by them always striving for 'value for money.'

As I am half-Dutch and have spent a lot of time in Holland I believe I can speak with some credibility on the matter. There are always exceptions, but generally the Dutch are comparatively tight, which IMO is attributable to another Dutch characteristc, namely pragmatism, manifested in this context by them always striving for 'value for money.'

Finally something we can agree with, especially the "value for money" but still you won't see them smuggling 7/11 drinks into bars, cinema's sure but bars no.

Keep on tipping 20 baht for 80 baht soda guys but realize most will laugh behind your back and think you're ting tong.

Which is funny you say that. Because of the fact that I tip...when I return to an establishment I get even better service than the last time. If I order a mixed drink it might be stronger...I may get free shots (not at gogos). The staff is very happy to see me, remembers my name and what I always order, along with any extra requests I may have. They tend to always take care of me...because I take care of them. So if you "think" they're calling me a ting tong behind my back, I could care less. I'm getting excellent service just for a little something that is pennies to me. While you? You get insulted for being tight with a tip because of the principle of buying a soda you deem is too expensive...not realizing you are paying more for the experience of the establishment more than anything. But hey..."up to you".

Finally something we can agree with, especially the "value for money" but still you won't see them smuggling 7/11 drinks into bars, cinema's sure but bars no.

Nah that's too costly. Better to bring something home brewed (that is a joke btw Magicman)

Vegas room service

Line item for service fee

Line item for 15% gratuity

Line item TIP (you write in the amount) I always write in zero. TIP already included. They try and persuade you to write in an amount for TIP. Bastards.

Same at restaurants in Thailand. If there is a line item for service fee included I write in zero

If not I write in 10%

Been called KEE NEO several items in Thailand does bother me as it used to when I first arrived there 15 years ago. Just ignore it. I just tell them Thai to Thai. No TIP. KEE neo. Thai to foreigners TIP.

Having spend 16 months in Thailand between 2012 and 2014 i have been called a "Cheap Charlie" maybe 3 or 4 times, all in Bangkok and Patong.

if you have heard them say it directly 3 or 4 times, then i am sure you have probably been called a cheap charlie more times than that...you just didn't hear it.

if you're offended by it, and you know why you're being called it, then perhaps you need to change the behavior that is causing the comment. otherwise, you will hear it again.

like it or not, it is a service industry and the servers, as pointed out, rely on tips.

when i get change, sometimes i see a 20 baht note and 2-10 baht coins. so i have surmised that if i only tipped them 10 baht, it would be ok. i have never done so, i always tip well, but the change implies that a 10 baht tip would be acceptable.

keep your server happy. especially if you enjoy the place and plan to return. otherwise, the service you receive may not be the best. keep the servers happy and they will keep you happy.

if you have heard them say it directly 3 or 4 times, then i am sure you have probably been called a cheap charlie more times than that...you just didn't hear it.

if you're offended by it, and you know why you're being called it, then perhaps you need to change the behavior that is causing the comment. otherwise, you will hear it again.

like it or not, it is a service industry and the servers, as pointed out, rely on tips.

when i get change, sometimes i see a 20 baht note and 2-10 baht coins. so i have surmised that if i only tipped them 10 baht, it would be ok. i have never done so, i always tip well, but the change implies that a 10 baht tip would be acceptable.

keep your server happy. especially if you enjoy the place and plan to return. otherwise, the service you receive may not be the best. keep the servers happy and they will keep you happy.

I'd apply that to TGs amongst other things well.

I always tip,however one time I was called KeeNeo even I tipped.

I had a regular place where I had a bottle of wine,always good service,always tipped 100 ThB.

One day I had something to celebrate so I ordered an expensive bottle of wine,same good service, same tip of 100 ThB,the waiter murmured KeeNeo.

Never been back.

Should I have tip more,for the same service,except I choose to drink a more expensive bottle?!

I had a regular place where I had a bottle of wine,always good service,always tipped 100 ThB.

One day I had something to celebrate so I ordered an expensive bottle of wine,same good service, same tip of 100 ThB,the waiter murmured KeeNeo.

Never been back.

Should I have tip more,for the same service,except I choose to drink a more expensive bottle?!

Agree, it does seem counter-intuitive to tip more for same service level. Posted about this same thing earlier:http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/308683-do-you-feel-offended-when-a-thai-calls-you-kee-niaocheap-charlie/?p=3910211

Just the way it is I guess.

Never been back.

It's not uncommon in America to tip on the total amount of the bill -- usually 20%.

In Thailand that is not common at all and almost unheard of, so the response you got is a bit of a mystery coming from a Thai waiter.

Was it the Hilton or some place like that?

Well its not like my day is ruined after being called a Cheap Charlie but it makes me feel disrespected especially since its a non-1st world country where well over 95% of the people would not even think to spend 80 baht on a small bottle of sprite plus i traveled a long way to spend my hard-earned money there out of the nearly 200 countries i can pick from.

You can get an entire meal plus drink for 80 baht in Isaan and even in some places up North.

Archived