IGNORED

Do you feel offended when a Thai calls you Kee Niao/Cheap Charlie?

Magic040

I wouldn't take offense to a most likely very poor person calling me cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If almost everyone did this it would make a big change.

I really like Japan and its people but they're really driving the prices up in every nightlife area they go.

The big change would come from the venues that you like ending up with terrible service because only 1 or 2 people are willing to work there because the venue's wage is not enough to live off of. OR the change could come if they do give these people an honest living wage then they most certainly change that soda into a 100-110 baht soda, then you'll have something else to complain about. Which way do you want it?

Funny thing that no one has mentioned is, does a waitress or waiter really deserve a tip if their attitude is to name call if they don't get one. Also she is doing exactly what her job entails. A waitress waits, do it adequately and I wouldn't give you a tip either. Do it with a smile, be pleasant, make me feel like my fucking drink is the first and last drink you will ever serve, and I'll give you a tip. You get a tip for superb service, not standard service. 

Having spend 16 months in Thailand between 2012 and 2014 i have been called a "Cheap Charlie" maybe 3 or 4 times, all in Bangkok and Patong.

For example i was sitting on the outside of a bar in Soi Cowboy in 2013, I order a Sprite (I stopped drinking alcohol in 2012 because i woke up one day with yellow eyes and a swollen liver, got anti-biotics for 1 month and since that happened i'm scared to drink) and as i always do, I pay for my drink as soon as i get it (to prevent getting scammed), the drink was 80 baht if i remember correctly so i paid with 4 bills of 20 baht, server was looking over my shoulder in my wallet and saw a bunch of 100's and as she walks back inside she calls me "Cheap Charlie".

I didn't had the chance to reply to her but in the other situations I always said "No, i am Smart Sammy" or "I am Wise Willy".

Do you think this was a Cheap Charlie action? I don't think so. I mean 80 baht for a small bottle of soda... that's even more expensive than in the West so why should i tip, right? 

A Cheap Charlie imo is for example somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours.

How do you feel and how do you express yourself when your getting called a Cheap Charlie?

the drink was 80 baht if i remember correctly so i paid with 4 bills of 20 baht, server was looking over my shoulder in my wallet and saw a bunch of 100's and as she walks back inside she calls me "Cheap Charlie" = Cheap Charlie

somebody who buys 2 beers at 7/11 puts it in his pockets, enters a bar/go-go, orders the same brand of beer, finishes the beer, hides it and then opens his 7/11 bottles when nobody is watching and sits there for hours. = Dutch Cheap Charlie

Funny thing that no one has mentioned is, does a waitress or waiter really deserve a tip if their attitude is to name call if they don't get one. Also she is doing exactly what her job entails. A waitress waits, do it adequately and I wouldn't give you a tip either. Do it with a smile, be pleasant, make me feel like my fucking drink is the first and last drink you will ever serve, and I'll give you a tip. You get a tip for superb service, not standard service.

Those not from the states sometimes misinterpret why we Americans tip. This above^ is why we tip. Make us feel like we are the only customer you ever had  or will have and will  tip. If its shit service forget about it. Will tell you about your crappy service or your manager and we wish you would call us a C.C. Will let you know that you need to do your job better. 

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

Last time it happened to me was in Bangkok back in February when I refused to buy a requested lady drink at a go-go in Nana. I just took myself and my money to another bar.

Bet the bar you found after took the rest of the year of after your massive splurge 555.  Out of interest, was the fact that the LD was requested that made you walk out or  do you just not buy LDs in GoGos?

You mean the tipping culture? In most of Europe its unusual to tip and in Japan some times even frowned upon.

I remember this one time in Tokyo back when i was 20 (2010) i couldn't pack my suitcase because i was too drunk and i asked asked a guy from the hotel if he could do it for me while i was out clubbing for a couple hours (i had to take the early bus to the airport), when i came back everything was packed, I wanted to give him 2000 yen (17 euro) but he refused to accept it even after asking 3 times, I was so thankful and i gave him 2 thumbs up and a deep bow.

CC to the core. In most European countries they will at the very least round up the bill or leave some coins. Many tip 10$%

I wear the badge CC with pride. I dress down to encourage the view. Any BG who looks down on me because she perceives me as a CC is not a loss IMO. I do buy LD & do tip but only after feeling happy with the situation & am quite happy to walk out if I feel I'm being treated badly or being ignored because my wallet is not handsome 

IMO everyone should tip based on service provided. So?

I only tip for excellent service like in a restaurant where the waitress is friendly, the food is great and not overpriced, I just don't like it when people already expect to get a tip.

Some people depend on them to make ends meet.

If almost everyone did this it would make a big change.

I really like Japan and its people but they're really driving the prices up in every nightlife area they go.

Have you also noticed how high the prices are in Japan to start with?  FFS...

It could also be argued that it makes no sense to base the tip on a % of the bill.  Say a waitress waits on 2 tables, the first with 10 diners, the second,  couple sharing a US$5k bottle of Chateau Lafite.  Much more work for table 1, but bigger tip for table 2.

As the story goes she name called AFTER he gave her the money because she saw he could afford to tip but chose not. If she name called before then of course she gets absolutely nothing. There are degrees of tipping. If you do your job adequately and act in a professional manner then you deserve a tip. If you give superb service then you should get a little more than the standard tip. This isn't a fucking doorman who may make slightly more....their wage is absolute shit and probably more so in Thailand. I can't believe this thread.

I don't get offended if I'm called a CC just like I don't get offended upcountry when they openly discuss the size of my dick assuming I don't understand anything. It's called Thainess.

"Cheap Charlies only care about their wallet....not anyone elses".-Amon Amarth

Some of these guys sound like they'll leave a 1.50 tip on a bill that is 498.50 and tell them to keep the change.

No, it doesn't really bother me at all usually although it might do if it were someone who knew me well.

What some random stranger who knows nothing about me or my life thinks of me holds no value and is none of my business.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

No

What some random stranger who knows nothing about me or my life thinks of me holds no value and is none of my business.

Exactly 

I sure do, particularly when a gogo mamasan calls you that and slaps you hard on your body and glares at you, as happened on my last trip (mentioned in my trip report).

I'm no high roller, but spending over 4000 baht over a few hours doesn't strike me as being a cheap charlie.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

That's not my responsibility, i'm not in the Thai government..

Some of these guys sound like they'll leave a 1.50 tip on a bill that is 498.50 and tell them to keep the change.

If the service was (below) average sure, nothing Cheap Charlie about that.

As the story goes she name called AFTER he gave her the money because she saw he could afford to tip but chose not. If she name called before then of course she gets absolutely nothing. 

Do you think its normal to look over someone's shoulder to check how much money that person got in his wallet?

Have you also noticed how high the prices are in Japan to start with?  FFS...

Yes, i also noticed the better service.

Archived