IGNORED

New battery for Macbook Pro

Klongwater

I've just purchased a new battery for a 2010 Macbook Pro. It has arrived without clear instructions.

I have seen installation videos on YouTube so there isn't any problem in knowing how to remove the old one and insert the new one. The only instructions provided are two sentences on the box:

"A new battery comes in a discharged condition and must be 'warmed up' ".

Does that mean install at room temperature,or something else?? 

And :

"We recommend re-charging the battery several times before a normal full charge takes place".

What does that mean....that the battery will progressively get better when its been used a few times,or that to start with just to do little charges then run it down a few times before giving it a full charge? I don't want to give it partial charges unless necessary as it might then continue to be only charged up to that level.

Its made in China,hence the unclear meaning,and there's no accompanying literature provided.

If anyone has experience in replacing a computer battery,could you explain what the above instructions refer to?

It's a Li-ion battery.

Thanks.

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

The first instruction doesn't make much sense . Guess they mean installing it at room temperature . 

The second one is more important . Give the battery a full charge the first time you use it and make 

sure you use it till it's at about 10% before re charging . Make sure you do this the first 4/5 times . 

Avoid partial charges as it will drastically shorten the life of the battery and the time you can use it . 

As above.

Initial full charge and run it right down a couple of times.

Just play a movie on loop overnight.

I've bought a couple of batteries from china for my MacBook 2010 because they were cheap.

They lasted about 6months before they started to swell up and fault.

Just be careful with the swelling, I didn't notice my first battery doing it because I used the desktop for a few months.

It put pressure on the hard drive and started making that grrrrr driving sound.

Just a heads up

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

As above.

Initial full charge and run it right down a couple of times.

Just play a movie on loop overnight.

I've bought a couple of batteries from china for my MacBook 2010 because they were cheap.

They lasted about 6months before they started to swell up and fault.

Be careful not to empty it completely as the parity can change resulting in the problems you just mentioned . 

I got my battery from an official Apple store/dealer.  Lasted for at least 2 + years each.  No such instructions were present with mine, nor did the installations geeks recommend anything like that, but the full charge and drain makes sense.  I even do it periodically on all other devices, even though Li-Ion supposedly has no memory.    I would only remove/replace in a relatively dust free, climate controlled area (mainly-no moisture)  There did not seem to be any dangerous openings for moisture, debris, But I am OCD

A question though-if you are willing to pay more than average for a Mac instead of a other than Mac PC/laptop, why not apply the same logic for battery replacement also and get official replacement batteries?  As stated above, mine lasted 2 + years.  By that rational, if your Chinese replacements only last 6 months, they should cost you no more than 25% of the genuine ones' cost.  Or am I reading it wrong?  Not bashing here, just curious.

The first instruction doesn't make much sense . Guess they mean installing it at room temperature . 

The second one is more important . Give the battery a full charge the first time you use it and make 

sure you use it till it's at about 10% before re charging . Make sure you do this the first 4/5 times . 

Avoid partial charges as it will drastically shorten the life of the battery and the time you can use it . 

I'm no expert but I think modern batteries prefer to be neither fully discharged or fully charged.

@klongwater. yes, this article indicates room temperature.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/

I'm no expert but I think modern batteries prefer to be neither fully discharged or fully charged.

For Li-ion no problem but the cheap Chinese copies are very likely to be Ni-cad . 

Archived