IGNORED

Board Members over age 50: When was your last Colonoscopy?

Had 2 of these, and i have to say the experience of the prep is less than "appetising".But I understand the need. We in Oz have a government initiative which sends out packages to over 60s to send back samples for initial screening now which is much easier to deal with.

And other countries do this?

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it

Sex is a bit like oxygen, unimportant until you are not getting enough!

www.sugarcanemafia.com

there is a screening regiment in ireland and all over 50 who are lucky to be on the programme have a test every three or five years ! ( not sure which ) 

I'm insured with Kaiser and when I turned 55 my Dr recommended the sigmodoscpy for the lower intestine.    At 60 my Dr recommended the colonoscopy.  What I hated about that was drinking the Liquid every 15 minutes for 4 hours as I couldn't stand the taste.  I had just returned from LOS so I fell asleep as soon as I entered the operating room.  Was told that they found a pollup in my stomach.  I told them I wasn't aware that the procedure would go that far up and was told that they also stuck another tube down my throat.  Sent to the lab and it was negative.  Ten years later my Dr said it was time for another colonoscopy.   I asked them if they had improved the taste as I couldn't stand it and he told me that I could do an annual stool sample which I decided to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I don`t know, if this has been written here before:

There are several colonoscopy programs in many countries for decades now.

Unfortunately the statistics for deaths by colon cancer did not significantly decrease since then.

Why?

Because the aggressive forms of that cancer might kill the patient within months and is only detectable, when it is almost too late.

• 3 weeks later...

2 guys i play hockey with who are surgeons , both told me unless there is a family history or symptoms, they DO NOT recommend it, as there are risks involved under going this procedure.

• Like 3

I've a family history of colon cancer so I do get the 'scope every 5 years. 

As mentioned by others - the annual FIT test (fecal immunochemical test, aka. the smear poop on a card and mail it in) is recommended for most low-risk patients.

Sigmoidoscopies are not good tests as they do not reach the cecum, IMHO either do a FIT annually or go full bore for a colonoscopy every 5 years.

Understand that there are risks - bowel perforation being by far the most serious

The taste of the prep is not awful (recall this is a board where members routinely place their tongues in unusual places), admittedly shitting your guts out sucks but it is less than 15 hours for the ordeal.

Western medicine is good at catching the precancerous polyps, but not so great at dealing with anything past stage 2 or an aggressive form.

Net net, get butt-snaked and move on and enjoy life.

After my wife contracted bowel cancer, and ultimately died from it and related cancers, I had my first colonoscopy. I'm glad I did. 12 polyps detected and removed, one turning nasty. Every 2 years the process was repeated with some further polyps removed, the last test zero thank God. Now I am over 75 the medical system in Australia doesn't encourage it on cost/risk/benefit grounds. I guess in total I have had 5 or 6 colonoscopies with no problems. I guess all medical processes have risks but they are low. All men should have a colonoscopy after they turn 50 and again if needed. Bowel cancer is a dreadful disease, as I know. Avoid it at all costs with a colonoscopy.

7 hours ago, anglesea said:

All men should have a colonoscopy after they turn 50 and again...

Correct.

I got a colonoscopy at age 50 -- perfectly healthy and normal colon.  I'm to get another one in ten years at age 60.  If normal colon, every ten years.

Edited by 6853395
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I do the at home FiT test once a year...equally accurate yet private.

Sent from my Atari 5200 using Tapatalk Pro Elite 4.0

Correct.
I got a colonoscopy at age 50 -- perfectly healthy and normal colon.  I'm to get another one in ten years at age 60.  If normal colon, every ten years.

Same for me. First was after I turned 50. Fortunately it was clean and they recommended 10 years. Will do again after I turn 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 54. My last one was April this year. I have them every two years.

The anesthetic is the best part. I sleep so well and wake up feeling fine afterwards.

15 hours ago, tsec said:

The anesthetic is the best part. I sleep so well and wake up feeling fine afterwards.

I do it without the anesthetic. You feel only slight cramps when they blow air in to clear things. Without the anesthetic you don't need someone to drive you home and can go on with your life the rest of the day.

15 hours ago, tsec said:

5 minutes ago, philkrenshaw said:

I do it without the anesthetic. You feel only slight cramps when they blow air in to clear things. Without the anesthetic you don't need someone to drive you home and can go on with your life the rest of the day.

The anesthesia is one of the things keeping me from having it done - I have a HUGE phobia of IVs, and I don't think they gas you any more (pun intended).

When I had to have a cataract surgery, the anesthesia wouldn't flow at first because I had an anxiety attack and my veins effectively locked up/constricted.

My Dr prescribed a ColoGuard at home test, but I couldn't use it because of hemorrhoids. My Mom really freaked me out (unintentionally) because she told me my Grandmother died of colon cancer. One reason they caught it so late was because she just assumed she just had hemorrhoids.

I REALLY need to talk to my Dr about the alternative means of doing it without any intravenous anesthesia.

I'm not at the age that this starts happening but I have several friends who've undergone it. Putting it mildly, no one seems to like the stuff you drink or the torrent on the toilet. I can't say that I'm looking forward to it either.

I intend to try and fend it off when my doctor first suggests it. "It's like every 4 or 5 years right? No thanks Doc, I was abducted just 3 years ago... I'm all good..."

ufo.JPG

7 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

The anesthesia is one of the things keeping me from having it done - I have a HUGE phobia of IVs, and I don't think they gas you any more (pun intended).

When I had to have a cataract surgery, the anesthesia wouldn't flow at first because I had an anxiety attack and my veins effectively locked up/constricted.

My Dr prescribed a ColoGuard at home test, but I couldn't use it because of hemorrhoids. My Mom really freaked me out (unintentionally) because she told me my Grandmother died of colon cancer. One reason they caught it so late was because she just assumed she just had hemorrhoids.

I REALLY need to talk to my Dr about the alternative means of doing it without any intravenous anesthesia.

The ansthetic is only because they worry you will be freaked out by what's going on (i.e. sticking a metal snake up your butt). There isn't any actual pain. However, the first time I went it was just a sigmoidoscopy (not nearly as deep or thorough as a colonoscopy) and they did it without. I was OK with it and later on convinced my colonoscopy doctor to do it without. You get to watch the whole thing on TV. He commented that I wasn't very talkative (maybe people with anesthetic babble or something). Just grit your teeth and don't say anything when you feel the cramps associated with blowing the air in and you'll be fine. They will probably want to put a needle in you just in case, but they won't use any ansthetic unless you have a problem with the procedure.

Guys

Just a quick story.  Went to thailand in 2017.  Was having a bit of bleeding and constipation.  Powered through it and met the woman of my dreams on that trip.  When I got home I did my second colonoscopy where the doctor said you have cancer.  Talk about a punch in the gut.  Thank god it was stage one.  No chemo.  Got all the cancer and had a clean bill of health after taking my 4th colonoscopy.  I would not choose a simple blood test.  I want the peace of mind of a thorough inspection. So please get your colonoscopies done regular at least once by age 50 or 45 if it runs in your family.  Almost forgot...I married that perfect woman from 2017.

1 minute ago, Addlepated said:

I'm not at the age that this starts happening but I have several friends who've undergone it. Putting it mildly, no one seems to like the stuff you drink or the torrent on the toilet. I can't say that I'm looking forward to it either.

I intend to try and fend it off when my doctor first suggests it. "It's like every 4 or 5 years right? No thanks Doc, I was abducted just 3 years ago... I'm all good..."

The drinking and crapping is far worse than the actual procedure. However, you do it at home, privately, under your control. What you have to drink may occasionally make you gag, but every clinic prescribes different stuff (my sister in a different state gets a different treatment than I do) which can be better or worse. When they suggest you come back depends on what they find (if anything). I've heard 3 years, 5 years, 7 years and 10 years. I was 65 for my last one and they told me to come back in 7 years.

Never no one doctor or not is sticking a sony handicam up my ass

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

On 01/10/2020 at 10:32, Soi7 said:

Never no one doctor or not is sticking a sony handicam up my ass

Without paying?

Jack

Never had a colonoscopy but have another flexible cystoscopy scheduled for next Wednesday. That will be number 9 plus 5 rigid.

I sent off the poop test last week

Got a letter today saying I need a investigation (colonoscopy) 

Appointment for  ext week to discuss and make Appointment.  

NHS very quick  

On 03/07/2020 at 00:48, usexpat46 said:

I'm insured with Kaiser and when I turned 55 my Dr recommended the sigmodoscpy for the lower intestine.    At 60 my Dr recommended the colonoscopy.  What I hated about that was drinking the Liquid every 15 minutes for 4 hours as I couldn't stand the taste.  I had just returned from LOS so I fell asleep as soon as I entered the operating room.  Was told that they found a pollup in my stomach.  I told them I wasn't aware that the procedure would go that far up and was told that they also stuck another tube down my throat.  Sent to the lab and it was negative.  Ten years later my Dr said it was time for another colonoscopy.   I asked them if they had improved the taste as I couldn't stand it and he told me that I could do an annual stool sample which I decided to do.

I am also insured w/Kaiser in the Maryland.  At age 51, Kaiser did a flex sig and at age 56, Kaiser did a colonoscopy.  But at age 66-68, Kaiser only did a FIT stool based test and did not require a colonoscopy. 

The flex sig was worst than the colonoscopy.  Kaiser sedated me for the colonoscopy so I did not feel a thing, but initially did not sedate me for the flex sig.  The flex sig was so painful, Kaiser eventually had to sedate me to complete the flex sig.

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy in 2019 so can only speak for this experience on the NHS...

Apart from the self cleansing process and wind after the procedure i wouldn't think there is a great deal of difference compared to a colonoscopy so i'd like to put some minds to rest if possible.

Preparations before procedure / hospital appointment...

You get a booklet explaining everything and also a prescription for the Phospate enema. 

I opted for anaesthetic so arranged a driver ( family member to accompany me ) the hospital can arrange if needed.

1 hour before procedure you have to self clear the lower bowel. I laid out towels on the floor next to the toilet with a stop watch for timing and phone to keep me company on the toilet. Stick the squishy bag of phosphate solution up ya ass and squeeze ( not as easy as it sounds ) and then start the timer...i think you have to hold for 2 minutes 30 seconds ...i think i made it pretty much on the nose before jumping up and releasing on the toilet. Feels amazing when it comes out haha. Only had about 3 lots of 'Oooh it's coming again'....all in all around 20 minutes then i was good to go.

At the hospital you get changed into a gown and wait in a cubicle. They come and put you on a trolley and wheel you through. Confirm Name / details etc. and confirmed i had opted for sedation / anaesthetic...OH YES!....

Next thing i know i was laying on my side and one of the doctors / surgeons was asking me if i was ok...."Yes i'm ok why's that"? "all done, finished"! WTF..i swear i was still in position waiting for them to get started. As i now know the anaesthetic /sedation they used is called Midazolam. It works by affecting memory, quite a remarkable drug. As a consequence it made the memory of my mums death through cancer a little less painful as this drug was used on her quite a bit too. If you can't remember or recollect the suffering you are/ were going through then that can't be a bad thing can it?

They wheel you back to your cubicle and give you a sandwich and a drink, monitor you for a while and then you are free to go. I got a tchinese takeaway..no recollection of the whole procedure....felt fine with no discomfort. They even give you a print out of the pictures they take...interesting to see inside your colon :).

If something doesn't seem right guys get yourselves checked out. The thought is often worse than the actual event.