IGNORED

25 dead Thailand car crash

underbelly

A sad state of affairs and looking at the early pictures it looks like it is probably on the freeway to the airport from Pattaya.

I often joke about getting the high speed taxi from the airport to Soi 6 at 150kmph.

Unfortunately the Thais often drive on this road faster than the capability of their car or themselves.

RIP

Here's a link to the story: 25 killed as van crashes into pickup truck

According to the article 280 people died on Thai roads from the 29th of last month until the 1st (inclusive).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

According to the article 280 people died on Thai roads from the 29th of last month until the 1st (inclusive).

Now at 367 deaths!

Day 5: Death toll jumps to 367

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

That's quite a shame but it's pretty normal here in the US. A little second slower or a bit more attention and that would've saved countless lives. 

I agree, these type of deaths happen all over the world.  The cause is almost always driver error, particularly speed.  Sad really

The minivan company should be sued.

I agree, these type of deaths happen all over the world.

Except that it happens a lot more often in Thailand.

One of the theories in what happened in this case was that a tyre blew on the van. Yesterday I saw an article about the police stopping a van with very bald tyres (ie in a condition likely to cause a blow-out) and the police just told him to replace them as soon as he could and in the mean time drive carefully. The driver was on his way to pick up passengers!

Except that it happens a lot more often in Thailand.

One of the theories in what happened in this case was that a tyre blew on the van. Yesterday I saw an article about the police stopping a van with very bald tyres (ie in a condition likely to cause a blow-out) and the police just told him to replace them as soon as he could and in the mean time drive carefully. The driver was on his way to pick up passengers!

My Thai gf said that in the Thai news they say the minibus driver fell asleep and went on to the wrong side of the road, dude had been driving over 2000 km in 2 days without any sleep.

My Thai gf said that in the Thai news they say the minibus driver fell asleep and went on to the wrong side of the road, dude had been driving over 2000 km in 2 days without any sleep.

Yes that was the other theory but they didn't determine what was correct. They closed the criminal investigation once it was determined that the guy wasn't drunk or on drugs so we will never know truth (although in Thailand I suspect that is rare anyway...lol).

2000+ km... that's 8 times driving from Bangkok to Pattaya and back.

2000+ km... that's 8 times driving from Bangkok to Pattaya and back.

I have driven about the same distance in two days and got a good sleep that night! In fact I drove 3400km in 3 days...:P

I was concerned by the taxi driver who was taking me from Pattaya. He twitched a lot while driving and had a very peculiar way of holding the steering wheel. He put half his arm through it and had his other hand on the wheel. He was driving and bending over He'd have been stooping if he was standing up. The taxi was automatic and his left foot was touching the brake all the time while his right was on the accelerator. I was on the verge of saying stop and getting out several times, but that would have been a hassle, so I thought I'll just take my chances. I also knew the way where I wanted to go - it wasn't straightforward - and he'd been told, apparently, to follow my instructions. When it came to the difficult part, he ignored me and said 'no, this way' then proceeded to go the wrong way. Eventually, I didn't know where I was either and neither did he. It was one of those situations you can get into in Thailand where there's a stark choice; punch the git in the face or keep quiet and grin and bear. I chose the latter. 

I was concerned by the taxi driver who was taking me from Pattaya. He twitched a lot while driving and had a very peculiar way of holding the steering wheel. He put half his arm through it and had his other hand on the wheel. He was driving and bending over He'd have been stooping if he was standing up. The taxi was automatic and his left foot was touching the brake all the time while his right was on the accelerator. I was on the verge of saying stop and getting out several times, but that would have been a hassle, so I thought I'll just take my chances. I also knew the way where I wanted to go - it wasn't straightforward - and he'd been told, apparently, to follow my instructions. When it came to the difficult part, he ignored me and said 'no, this way' then proceeded to go the wrong way. Eventually, I didn't know where I was either and neither did he. It was one of those situations you can get into in Thailand where there's a stark choice; punch the git in the face or keep quiet and grin and bear. I chose the latter. 

This is the exact reason why I stick with the same driver. I have been using the same one for about 5 years now.

This is the exact reason why I stick with the same driver. I have been using the same one for about 5 years now.

That's good idea. This was the first time I've had a bad experience through the travel agent I used to book the car for me and the first time I was being driven to this particular place by someone else (normally I drive myself there) But point taken - no more doing someone a favour by accepting their offer of a company they know who are cheap.

I have driven about the same distance in two days and got a good sleep that night! In fact I drove 3400km in 3 days... :P

In my university days, I once drove from New York City to Los Angeles, a distance of 3,000 miles (about 7.500 km), in three days.  That's 1,000 miles and 15 hours of driving each day.  It wasn't that hard, nor was it unsafe.  The key is to pull over and take a nap whenever you begin to feel drowsy and sleep at least six hours during the night.

The Thai guys who transport passengers can't do that, but continue to drive even when extremely tired.  Very dangerous.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I drove all the way from Pattaya to Chang Mai and back once and the condition of the road and the traffic was not bad. What scared me was the attitude of the other drivers (cars, vans and trucks). They drive as they have to prove something: how machos they are on the road.

It worries me that on every occasion I have taken a Taxi from Bangkok Airport to Pattaya, when I have sat in the rear seat, I have made a grab for the seat belt only to find that although the Lap/Sash portion is available, there is nothing on the seat to clip the buckle in to!   That part of the restraint is always missing.  I have even stuck my hand down the rear of the seat in an attempt to locate it, without success.

I have found same problem so now I check at airport and decline if no belt

I drove all the way from Pattaya to Chang Mai and back once and the condition of the road and the traffic was not bad. What scared me was the attitude of the other drivers (cars, vans and trucks). They drive as they have to prove something: how machos they are on the road.

How many hours did it take? How many days did you stay there?

I have found same problem so now I check at airport and decline if no belt

I guess you have 4 seats to check before you decline

In that crash mentioned above where 25 people died, I've read that some onlookers were too busy taking pictures/video of the trapped and burning victims instead of trying to do anything to help.

Horrifying if true. I know such ghoulish behavior is not unique to Thai people, but still.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

In that crash mentioned above where 25 people died, I've read that some onlookers were too busy taking pictures/video of the trapped and burning victims instead of trying to do anything to help.

Horrifying if true. I know such ghoulish behavior is not unique to Thai people, but still.

Absolutely Disgusting!   And these are the type of "Model" citizens who would block the aisle whilst trying to retrieve their carry on luggage from the overhead compartments when a plane makes an emergency landing and the order is given to evacuate!!!!

Archived